• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 70 target rifle

Tcorb734

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2021
Ohio
I bought this '64 model 70 target 30-06. It was used by Andrew M. Wightman for Highpower. It is an original winchester configuration (winchester target barrel, winchester marksman stock, winchester trigger, and bottom metal). I grabbed some fgmm and some federal 180 soft points to test it. My first trip to the range I used the supplied redfield international match sights. The fgmm averaged 1.25" groups, 2636 fps with an SD of 21.0. The 180 soft points averaged 1" groups, 2644 fps with an SD of 12.0. 4 days later I installed an unertl 12x scope. Once sighted in the fgmm averaged just under 2" groups at 100 yards. In the future I'll put a modern scope on it (either a Swarovski X5 or a Nightforce) and check groups again. I was disappointed that my groups grew when comparing open sights to vintage telescopic.

Attachments

• 20230715_112102.jpg
    20230715_112102.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
  • 20230715_125534.jpg
    20230715_125534.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 20230712_101216.jpg
    20230712_101216.jpg
    856.6 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that scope. Probably better than a mid grade modern scope.
My next range trip, I'll be giving the unertl a full work out with several types of ammo. I'm hopeful that something will shoot a little better than 2moa with it.

Reactions: RTH1800
you probably did this already, but check the mounts etc to make sure everything is tight,
reset the tube after each shot, hard to tell from teh pics but it looks like the spring is just there, not bearing on anything,

also, and just going by the pics, looks like the cheek weld maybe a bit high? vs the Irons,

Reactions: RTH1800
you probably did this already, but check the mounts etc to make sure everything is tight,
reset the tube after each shot, hard to tell from teh pics but it looks like the spring is just there, not bearing on anything,

also, and just going by the pics, looks like the cheek weld maybe a bit high? vs the Irons,
Thank you for the suggestions. I did have to move the recoil spring forward so it could do its job. As you pointed out the cheek weld is not the greatest. I never investigated enough to know if there are different height rings like we have for modern scopes.

Reactions: lyman
You could get something like this and use strips of sleeping bag foam pad or similar, to get your cheek to the right height looking through the center of the scope. Probably help with groups/ repeatability.

You could get something like this and use strips of sleeping bag foam pad or similar, to get your cheek to the right height looking through the center of the scope. Probably help with groups/ repeatability.

The real issue may be less with scope height and more with eye relief. With 2 1/4-2 1/2 inches of eye relief I have to push my head forward about an inch to get the full picture through the ocular lense.

I found the Lyman sights on my Model 70 gave very impressive groups and the scope did create some “slop”.

If you have your sight picture on irons set up right there are just more points of reference that ensure you have the same hold shot to shot.

I was using a rear diopter with a front circle.

You get so many more points of reference to compute, is the target centered, is the line of white equal, is the front centered in the rear….it’s not just is the cross over center.

I think irons by nature eliminate any parallax.

Only downside is speed and target ID.

Not surprised you shot irons better.

Last edited:
17 pages of me FAFO about my Model 70.

There are some iron sight groups and more scoped groups with a Unertl pictured.

It’s all about head position, wether it’s irons or scope. The problem with unertyl type scopes is they mount higher on the gun and that most often results in the shooter losing their cheekweld on the stock. Then if you’re not careful the head position will change slightly with each shot and the groups open up.
Try a cheekpiece as descibed in another post, or do like me and just keep shooting it until you get it right
Good luck

Years ago at the QSC vintage precision rifle match, a shooting buddy brought his pre-64 M70 to the match (w/ large profile 26" barrel).
He made a "custom" cheek rest for it to suit his cheek position (and increased the LOP)... It seems that some duct tape was required.

MH_M70_heavy_barrel_M70_2016.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions. I did have to move the recoil spring forward so it could do its job. As you pointed out the cheek weld is not the greatest. I never investigated enough to know if there are different height rings like we have for modern scopes.
rings on the unertl\lyman \ etc scopes don't work like that, they are what they are,

ditto the bases, they were made for particular models, and set at a particular distance,

best bet is to add something to the stock as suggested by others, or learn a new position, re your head and cheek rest

also keep in mind that the stocks on some models of rifles, and
I will use the 513T as an example, were set up for prone or position, and sometimes the stocks (specifically for the US Trainers) were rasped down to allow ohter positions, since he marksman stock was not alway conducive to some positions, (tho that example was for irons only)

Posted elsewhere but I cannot help myself. I like this rifle too much.

View attachment 8184667
Is this a 30-06?

I know someone that has one very similar. I believe it was originally a 30-06 but the factory caliber marking on the barrel has been milled off, and now says 308. It also looks to have been re-crowned. It has the unertl blocks but no scope, sling, sling swivels, or sights.

What do you all think it is worth?

Is this a 30-06?

I know someone that has one very similar. I believe it was originally a 30-06 but the factory caliber marking on the barrel has been milled off, and now says 308. It also looks to have been re-crowned. It has the unertl blocks but no scope, sling, sling swivels, or sights.

What do you all think it is worth?
It is 30-06. I would not have any idea how much the rifle is worth. As for mine, I'm hanging on to it for a very long time.

I recently watched an original 1967 winchester 70 target in 308 sell for 995. I would agree with 5-0 that it's worth less than that.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I took some vintage match ammo to the range today for testing...
Notice the S-D?

Attachments

• 20230721_125437.jpg
    20230721_125437.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20230721_130731.jpg
    20230721_130731.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230721_125416.jpg
    20230721_125416.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
It no longer looks like a vintage match rifle. Got pgt bottom metal and ai mag for it. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the marksman stock so until I get the money to go either manners or mcmillan I got Boyd's.
20230726_142909.jpg

100% .
Obviously do what you like with your own rifle but it was an awesome classic rifle, now it looks like a trash fudd rifle.
There are people who can read, and there are people who can understand what they're reading.

Well, I just got an interesting phone call from McMillan. Apparently their stocks lack the depth necessary to inlet them to support the winchester 70 action and ptg bottom metal. I'll have to either modify the original stock to match the ptg bottom metal or find another stock maker whose stocks can be inletted for the winchester action and ptg bottom metal.

Well, I just got an interesting phone call from McMillan. Apparently their stocks lack the depth necessary to inlet them to support the winchester 70 action and ptg bottom metal. I'll have to either modify the original stock to match the ptg bottom metal or find another stock maker whose stocks can be inletted for the winchester action and ptg bottom metal.
May I ask why you want to change so much about the rifle?

May I ask why you want to change so much about the rifle?
I would like to run it in prs matches. It clearly can shoot well and deserves to get back into action. I can't do it justice with the vintage scope, but if I can get a good stock I can do decent at the matches.

Last edited:
Got to the range yesterday with some factory ammo. So far Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELD-X performs with the best S.D.<15. It also produces excellent groups at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 20230805_095256.jpg
    20230805_095256.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230805_095445.jpg
    20230805_095445.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 47
I just acquired a mint 1956 Winchester Model 70 Target in 30-06. May have never had a scope mounted on Unertl mounts. The receiver is cut for stripper clips, and bolt is electo -pencilled serial number to rifle. Looks mint. I think I read only the Military Match 70’s and snipers were cut for stripper clips….I have an original USMC SNIPER 8 X scope on a 1942- 1941, but put a Malcolm 8X on this. Taking it to CMP Talladega Sunday, and zero for 300 and 600 yards. Pretty sure I can’t shoot it in Vintage Sniper, but what a piece of history!

Reactions: camocorvette
All pre war 70’s were cut for stripper clips.
Most transition rifles were cut.
All target and bull guns of any era were cut.
No 300 H&H or .375 H&H magnum rifles were cut for stripper clips. They were cut on ring and bridge for long ctgs.
I’m sure there are exceptions but this is the general rule.
Your trigger should be stamped T for target.
The early rifles were actually stamped TARGET on the trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie112