• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester M70

My M70, it's a post 64, Douglas bbl 30-06 Unertyl scope. Just had the barrel done so I need to coat it.
NYPaFE6.jpg

Pictures please...

Very nice.

You have the scope I have been searching for. What magnification?

USMC rifle teams left many of their barrels in the raw.

The first target is 168 smk and 47.4 gr 4064View attachment 6916838
This is LC Match

I go a little bit lighter with the powder load under a 168 but certainly yours does just fine at 47.4.

Brought a 30-06 with me to work today to stop at the range on the ride home. Some Springfield M1903 is a good celebratory noise maker for my 4th of July fire working. Pics tonight.

Hoping for some updates soon on my M70 build.

Patience is my friend though.

Reactions: camocorvette
Builder has recovered from a bout of Legionnaires Disease. Awesome what you can pick up in other countries that really isnt a souvenir you want.

Barreled action is done. The fresh bluing kind of accentuated some pitting from its previous life. I probably could have done a better shopping job on my donor rifle but this one has a good story as my daughter and I had a fun morning eating breakfast and shooting clay pigeons when I came upon it so many months ago.

Fitting to the stock is the only thing remaining.

IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5231.jpg

IMG_5232.jpg

IMG_5233.jpg

I really like it. The pitting just authenticates it.
Thanks for sharing!

Im happy that soon I think Ill be sharing the full build.

Im going to have him send it to me with the irons on. Ill sight the irons and see how it shoots.

Im not ready to buy a Unertl yet. The fun cash wont be available until the kids go back to school.

Im considering mounting a Weaver T10 on a Redfield Model 70 base fro the time being. Its a fantastic scope with good optics and parallax adjustment capability. I wish the reticle had some sort of mil dot but the nice 1/4 MOA click adjustment turrets will by very capable.

Id thought about using one of the "green" Leupold custom M40 clone scopes, kind of a WWCHD (What Would Carlos Hatchcock Do) marriage but Im saving that scope for a M40 build in .223 that have on my things to do list.

That difinitely give me wood...:p:p:cool:

Added:
Are you having the front screw bedded? Or, not using it?

The barrel tension adjustment screw?

Seems the USMC just used a dummy screw/nut and left the barrel completely free floated. Ill be doing same. The Douglas has not been dovetailed for the tension adjustment.

Unlike USMC I am asking the builder to install pilars and bed the receiver.

Figure another week or so my best guess.

Looks exactly as I had hoped. I feared that big Douglas would have required too much wood removal from the forend but its exactly as I hoped it would be.

The barrel tension adjustment screw?

Seems the USMC just used a dummy screw/nut and left the barrel completely free floated. Ill be doing same. The Douglas has not been dovetailed for the tension adjustment.

Unlike USMC I am asking the builder to install pilars and bed the receiver.

Figure another week or so my best guess.

Looks exactly as I had hoped. I feared that big Douglas would have required too much wood removal from the forend but its exactly as I hoped it would be.
It is lookin' good!

Yes, the tension screw. I would have supposed you would leave it free floated, but wasn't sure.

Forend is complete to allow free float...
IMG_5254.jpg

Action screw bores are opened up for pillars.

IMG_5255.jpg

Rear pillar will flow into trigger slot so the trigger slot will be remachined when the bedding is cured.

IMG_5256.jpg

Mocking up the action to make sure all is well before the goo gets applied....

IMG_5257.jpg

fetch

Drilled some holes for the bedding to key into, roughed up the inside milling for same purpose. Bedding will include first 1.5 inches of barrel...

image1 (2).jpeg

fetch

Action is buttered up with no stickum...

image3 (1).jpeg

fetch

Edges cleaned up after squeeze out. Looks like Justin uses an Acra Glass in brown.

image2 (2).jpeg

fetch

Bottom metal bedded in...

image1 (3).jpeg

fetch

Should be cured today.

Stand by....

You may want to get a clean up towel now.

The bedding as first exposed with clay dams in place...

image001 (1).jpg

fetch

Milling the rear pillar to restore the trigger slot...

image002 (1).jpg

fetch

The finished heart and soul....

image003 (1).jpg

fetch

Justin used some Super Grade parts to blind screw the adjustment screw hole...

image004 (1).jpg

fetch

From the underside...

fetch

image005 (1).jpg

Funny he tells me how this is the only gun he is working on now because the other three he is doing are at the engraver.

I give him specific instructions to use Big hammers and steel punch numbers to mark my shit, and it better not be on line - mess it up like the Marines did it -

while others want engraving and gold inlay.

That’s a beauty. Makes me want to do something similar with the .270 I have in the safe! Thanks for documenting the build. It’s been very entertaining and informative to watch.

Reactions: pmclaine
Hi guys and thanks for all the interest in this rifle build.

This rifle was built through some very difficult circumstances for our company, but ended up being somewhat therapeutic for us as we recovered. It’s the first rifle we’ve completed since the death of a 17-year-old employee this spring. I have really appreciated Phil’s patience as we took so long to complete the build.

To answer the question about the weight of the rifle, it weighs 11 lbs. 3 oz. That may not qualify as a “svelte” but I think it’s not bad for A 26” heavy barrel.

You’ll find a few more photos at the link below, along with a summary of the work completed in this build.

https://pre64win.com/products/custom-usmc-sniper-rifle-build-for-phil-m

We are looking forward to building another one of these rifles soon!

Justin

This rifle was built through some very difficult circumstances for our company, but ended up being somewhat therapeutic for us as we recovered. It’s the first rifle we’ve completed since the death of a 17-year-old employee this spring. I have really appreciated Phil’s patience as we took so long to complete the build.

To answer the question about the weight of the rifle, it weighs 11 lbs. 3 oz. That may not qualify as a “svelte” but I think it’s not bad for A 26” heavy barrel.

You’ll find a few more photos at the link below, along with a summary of the work completed in this build.

Justin

Justin not only builds beautiful rifles but the communication - complete with some serious photography - is part of the package.

Full endorsement of pre64win for parts, manufacture, calling him up and getting answers to all of lifes problems - Justin is the man.

I am being serious, but more seriously, go to the website....

https://pre64win.com/

and be amazed at the incredible classic Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester that is available.

Reactions: pre64win
Thanks Phil!

Now I’m looking forward to you getting a scope on this thing and letting us know how it shoots! I can’t imagine it will be anything other than deadly, but I’ll be anxious until I see those target photos posted! Anticipating some amazing groups!

The last rifle we sent out fully accurized was an early 1950s .300 H&H Super Grade (link below). Despite having a somewhat imperfect factory barrel, bedding the action brought the groups from 2 MOA down to sub-1/2 MOA. With the same bedding, Phil’s rifle with its new Douglas barrel should easily beat a used factory Sporter barrel. If it shoots worse than 1/4 MOA groups, I’ll be disappointed.

https://pre64win.com/products/300-h-h-super-grade-rifle-build-for-fred-w-payment-2

Thanks Phil!

Now I’m looking forward to you getting a scope on this thing and letting us know how it shoots! I can’t imagine it will be anything other than deadly, but I’ll be anxious until I see those target photos posted! Anticipating some amazing groups!

The last rifle we sent out fully accurized was an early 1950s .300 H&H Super Grade (link below). Despite having a somewhat imperfect factory barrel, bedding the action brought the groups from 2 MOA down to sub-1/2 MOA. With the same bedding, Phil’s rifle with its new Douglas barrel should easily beat a used factory Sporter barrel. If it shoots worse than 1/4 MOA groups, I’ll be disappointed.

https://pre64win.com/products/300-h-h-super-grade-rifle-build-for-fred-w-payment-2

If it shoots worse than 1/4 MOA.............insert embarrassed, blushing Emoji here representing me.

Can't hold the shooter and his ammo against the rifle.

Reactions: pre64win

Justin
All the parts for the next one are ready when you are : )
DW

Wow, beautiful work! It may be a few years but I hope to be in touch with you about building one once I get the parts collected.

Tracking says I get my dick skinners on it tommorow.

But.....

Next week I'll be down Cape Cod watching for sharks from my beach chair and than we come home for a day or two before heading back down to "Nahntucket" to schmooze with John Kerry.

Will be awhile before I can update with a range report.

It's in hand and it's a shoulder cannon.

Hey, looking for a photo of you with that thing! My gallery is calling for it...

The pre64win.com Gallery

You are going to be in there next to a retired undersheriff from Washington and a freshly re-elected judge from Texas. We're running a regular law enforcement armory out here!

Hey, looking for a photo of you with that thing! My gallery is calling for it...

The pre64win.com Gallery

You are going to be in there next to a retired undersheriff from Washington and a freshly re-elected judge from Texas. We're running a regular law enforcement armory out here!

I dont know looks like a pretty handsome crew in there wouldn't want to stand out like a sore thumb amongst all that GQ beefcake.

I will certainly get you pictures give me a day or two to get it properly accessorized and Ill see if I can get one of the kids to get a picture for me.

Mrs. pmclaine may ask questions I dont want to answer if I had her take one.

So Ive been using every conscious moment since we first met in December thinking about this rifle.

Well not really but close.

I did spend all day yesterday building a new interior for my safe.

My 50 rifle safe is out of room at 14 rifles.

My new interior will allow me to store 18 rifles muzzle down as in my desire. Id rather have oil dripping out of the bores rather than into triggers and stocks even if it kills safe capacity.

Im kidding myslef that this will prevent me from buying more guns now that Im reaching max capacity.

Anyway.....

Im thinking abou how to scope this rifle.

Ill have to get Justin a pciture with the Unertl and I want to shoot it in that configuration. Ill pull the Unertl off my '03. It is built in the Marine configuration except for the clear anodized mounts and its a 10X....

P8057524.JPG

but every time I bring out the Unertl scoped gun I feel like I am holding a fragile Faberge' egg. I dont understand how the Marines carried these in combat other than they had the security of knowing any breakage they would go to supply and get a new one. Still their lives depended on the scope, especially on the Mode7 as there was no second sight system readily available.

I want my M70 to be more user friendly.

Im giving strong consideration to this....

IMG_3885_zpsthqflniy.jpg

Credit to USMCSGT0331 for that photo.

Pretty sure Carlos Hathcock stated his ideal sniper would have been the M70 with the Redfield 3-9X from the M700.

I have a line on a Leupold Vietnam commemorative 3-9X. It has a useable mil dot reticle. I could get my zero and use holdovers for everything else.

The durability makes it an actual rifle I could take to the woods without having to treat like fine china.

It would actually be a suitable Alaska gun with a half decent hunting scope and the ability to have a secondary sight. The rear slide of the Lyman sight should be able to be removed and the scope base will install while leaving the base of the reciever sight in place. If a scope breaks remove the Redfield base and re install the reciever sight slide and front globe - good to go.

Last edited:
Just as a matter of curiosity here, do any of you torque your action screws? If so how much torque do you use. My stock is bedded without pillars, I've been getting fliers out of the groups when I shoot. I'm thinking maybe I have the screws too tight.
Thanks
Kevin

Just as a matter of curiosity here, do any of you torque your action screws? If so how much torque do you use. My stock is bedded without pillars, I've been getting fliers out of the groups when I shoot. I'm thinking maybe I have the screws too tight.
Thanks
Kevin

Ive done some testing with another bedded/pillared woodstock rifle and found that there is a sweet spot.

My testing here....

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40/2048-torque-test

For this M70 Justin suggested 30 inch pounds front, than 30 inch pounds tang with just hand tight (15 inch pounds) on the middle trigger guard screw.

General consensus is front screw gets set to desired torque first than tang last but for my M40 the best group worked with tang first than recoil lug last.

With Springfield '03s/rifles without pillars you should be carefull approaching/exceeding 40 inch pounds to avoid crushing wood.

I wont get a chance to fire the rifle for another week or so initial groups will determine if I need to do any messing with the actions screws.

If it aint broke I wont try to fix it.

Any idea what loads you're gonna run? -06 has serious potential with modern bullets/powders and Berger's 200-20X has been making a helluva showing in F-TR matches lately...

The middle screw should be just enough to hold the front of trigger guard and rear of mag box.
Any actual torque beyond that will only warp the action. I normally just set them for the floor plate to rest solidly on the screw head and be at the correct height. That “quiets the rifle down” when carrying it.

Any idea what loads you're gonna run? -06 has serious potential with modern bullets/powders and Berger's 200-20X has been making a helluva showing in F-TR matches lately...
I’ve been shooting 175’s with 4064 and H4350. Lots of potential for both but the bedding situation needs to be addressed. The previous owner had it bedded and I have been spending alot of time trying to fix that mess.

The middle screw should be just enough to hold the front of trigger guard and rear of mag box.
Any actual torque beyond that will only warp the action. I normally just set them for the floor plate to rest solidly on the screw head and be at the correct height. That “quiets the rifle down” when carrying it.
Yes I was aware of the middle screw problem, thanks.
It’s never more than just the other side of finger tight. Snug in other words

Its an old school rifle and my current 30-06 loadings are for old school rifles.

Ill be sticking to I4064 and I4895 with 168/175 SMKs.

Anything typical loadings around 46 grains cant do at the ranges I shoot is all on me.

Last edited:
First 15 shots today....7 pounds of barrel certainly tames the 30-06. Much nicer to shoot in this form than when it had a pencil barrel.

P8218201.JPG

Only had enough time to take a few shots at 25 yards to ensure Id be on paper when I get to shoot one hundred next week.

First three shots...#1 low, #2 still low with what I thought was 1 foot of up elevation and #3 in the orange after cranking on four times what I thought I needed because at 25 yards 1/4 MOA is a pretty small adjustment....

P8218194.JPG

Fire up a group....

P8218195.JPG

Shoot 5 one inch dots. The consistency of impact bodes well for this gun...

P8218196.JPG

Make an adjustment and try four more rounds....

P8218197.JPG

I screwed the pooch by pussing out and not moving the full 4X of the required MOA.

This rifle is destined for a scope. Im not liking how high I have to run the rear Lyman but this is the right sight for me as I didnt want to remove wood and its only intended to get me 300 yards if need be. A WSH rear sight would be more appropriate with that big barrel/sight block combination but that is not what I wanted.

P8218202.JPG

Last edited: