• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Winchester Model 70 Marine Corps Sniper Rifle

Re: Winchester Model 70 Marine Corps Sniper Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tempy007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When doing a M40 on a new Remington are there markings that are replicated on the reciever and barrel that help it appear more like an original.</div></div>

The SSA Commerative rifles were all serial numbered consecutively with special serial numbers.... SSA00925 for example would be rifle number 925 out of the 1000 that were built. The caliber is marked .308 while the originals were marked 7.62.... the receiver is marked US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tempy007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know where they are for sale, haven't found any as of yet. Anyone out there build one of thier own, or know who I could contact about building a replica. </div></div>

http://www.impactguns.com/store/7283.html
^^^^^
right there </div></div>

Note the date on that. Way out of date and there are none at Impact.
At least as of a week ago that's what they said.

Thanks for the update, anyone out there looking to sell one.

Also as a side note, since these rifles appear to be almost impossible to find, is there a recipe for building my own replica out of components that are more available. I had thought about finding the correct stock and building one out of a cut down Rem 700P. Any idea's...

I lucked into an M40 SSA rifle a few weeks ago. Number 398. Fantastic Shooter!!! The prices for a redfield 3X9 Accu-range scope are just silly so I opted for the same scope in 6X18. I had one in a junk drawer. You can get Redfield Base and Rings from Midway that are "matte" finish. The rings only have 2 screws each but are a LOT less expensive than the ones Badger Makes. (Nothing against Badger... They make Great Stuff)... Here's mine.
2gx1bio.jpg

Is anyone doing any work to these rifles or are they out of the box shooting these groups. Pretty good if that is so. What ammo are you kats using.

Mine has had nothing done to it and here's a picture with 2 targets. Both were shot with the cheapest ammo I could find (Federal Power-shok 180gr.). The one on the right is 100yds, the one on the left is 300yds. Both are 3 shot groups.
2w5ofi0.jpg
She Loves Me!

Very nice rifle!
Although it's fun to duplicate as best we can the original scope/rings/base, I like what you've done. Badger's products are great but they are still a replica.

Amazing...Remington must have taken extra special care in building these rifles. All I have heard is good things about the way they shoot. Will be trying hard to find one. I had heard they may re-release it for 2009. Anyone else heard this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave4201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Almost nothing about the USMC M70 snipers in Vietnam was "standard". They pulled the match rifles that they had on hand and used them.

The WWII guns were standard hunting style guns with fixed sights. The USMC later rebarreled them in the late 50's to early 60's to be match rifles. Some/most of them got factory barrels. Some were later rebarreled with Douglas tubes. Some of them kept the old sporter stocks that had the barrel channel hogged out the to fit. Some got new marksman stocks. There are a lot of photos with marksman stocks.

Most had 8x Unertls, some the 3-9 "Marine Sniper" scope and a few had 12x Lyman scope. I would not bet against some having redfield scopes at some point! Note that the Unertls had black anodized mounts. Not the silver ones shown on the 1903 in the photo above.

The short of it is that ether the hogged out sporter or marksman stock with a heavy barrel in '06 with a 8x Unertl is the most common "correct" setup.

Dave P </div></div>

I have one of these that Dave speaks about, it is a 1947 Model 70. It was re-barreled with a GR Douglas barrel which is dated 11 1969. Mine has a very smooth military looking un-checkered stock and the USMC Redfield 3x9 Accurange scope in mint condition. It is glass bedded and the barrel is floated as well and carries military sling mounts. It's a pretty sweet rifle but it is difficult to find any real documentation on these "rebuilds" that were done late in the 60's.

Here are a few pictures I took to show markings on the barrel and the scope. The scope is serial numbered to a Remington M40 and not this rifle, 221420 is within the range listed for USMC M40's.

M70 Sniper rifle

Enjoy,

Gary

I think this is the model you are speaking of.. This is Carlos and his..

tumblr_lx5g9ly69U1qaj2cmo1_500.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHallenbeck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this is the model you are speaking of.. This is Carlos and his..

tumblr_lx5g9ly69U1qaj2cmo1_500.jpg
</div></div>

That is a M70 but that is not Carlos. It is LCPL Dalton Gunderson.

Thanks for the correction. I have run across that photo so many times and it seems to always list it as Carlos.. And gee whiz I thought everything on the internet was true..LOL

Thanks,

Rick

Here is a pic of Carlos with a M70. It has a Redfield scope and a McMillan stock.

10.jpg

Built a pre war pre 64 that was a mag conversion, had an old Ideal fibreglass stock. Added a bolt handle ( the one on the gun wasn't stock so I made one that was ) bedded it, repaired the bolt head to accept std. ctg., installed a douglas XX .30-10 #7, trimmed it down close to win . specs. , installed sight blocks, sling swivels, leather sling, hand stop with rail, scope blocks and a leatherwood USMC 8x scope. Shoots very well with fed. power shock 180, still have to try it with better stuff tho. Looks like the one in Senich's book held by Brophy except for the unertl and glass stock, don't know if I'll make a wood one or not, we'll see.