• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Wind/weather meter for $100 max

Ballistic ARC weather Flow meter w/ app
Those are badass but I should've explained better. I don't want one to carry in the field really. My main goal is to use as a tool on a daily basis teach myself to judge wind speed. Would rather have something I can just flip open and read quickly instead of connecting to my phone and all.

Do not buy the Caldwell, it's a giant piece of shit. I had one for a week and returned it. Wind readings were incorrect by a large amount, also the temperature was slow to respond and was also incorrect. I compared the readings with two Kestrel meters.

Save up your money and just buy a Kestrel.

Those are badass but I should've explained better. I don't want one to carry in the field really. My main goal is to use as a tool on a daily basis teach myself to judge wind speed. Would rather have something I can just flip open and read quickly instead of connecting to my phone and all.

Yeah I get that. I ran the ballistic arc weather flow meter and a Kestrel 5700 it was surprisingly close. Obviously you lose the ruggedness and all in one of the Kestrel but it is a great unit.

Reactions: BruteNasty
Do not buy the Caldwell, it's a giant piece of shit. I had one for a week and returned it. Wind readings were incorrect by a large amount, also the temperature was slow to respond and was also incorrect. I compared the readings with two Kestrel meters.

Save up your money and just buy a Kestrel.
I found a kestrel 4000 for $100. Seemed fair? Like I said I don't need top of the line just want something accurate to train myself on wind speeds with

I have the Caldwell. I got it a couple years ago after having a Kestrel and for me does the job. What more do I need? For less than $25 it reads the wind and temp just fine. I have it on my belt in a knife pouch. The battery door is a little chewed up changing batteries. Would I purchase another, absolutely.

good luck

Brunton ADC is a nice unit.
Small ,battery lasts forever
About $110

Haven't heard a lot of good things on the Caldwell.

I totally agree. I tried the weatherflow meter, and it was a nice unit. However, I felt that it was a pain to keep connecting it to my phone, making sure it stayed awake and powered on, etc. I just wanted a simple mph reading of wind. I ordered a meter from amazon for $15 and it seems fine for what I want.

Exactly, they work very well.
Had them included with one of the antenna's we used in the service. Trying to remember why they where never used. I just remember having to order them way to many times as they always seems to be missing. Which could have been the cause or effect of them never being used.