• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Windspeed indicators

dbooksta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
PA
What are good options for getting wind speed and direction on a range? I'm looking for something better than a flag/tape, and cheaper than a Kestrel or other reliable electronic anemometer.

I've seen pole-mounted, vaned pinwheels used at some matches that look like they'd be suitable and inexpensive, but can't find them online.

There are some cheaper wind meters than kestrel, I haven't used any of them but I haven't really heard anything bad about them. Kestrel also makes some real affordable wind meters.

Checked Sinclair; can't find what I was describing.

Reading reviews of the cheaper anemometers on Midway and Amazon I can't find anything that seems to perform reliably.

And an anemometer is only half the solution: I need to see realtime direction, not just windspeed, and ideally I want to setup the meter/indicator downrange away from benches and other structures that disrupt the area wind patterns.

By the time I get a Kestrel with a vane mount and transmitter I'm pushing $400. I'm assuming a good pinwheel with a vane would be under $40.

Those are a clever solution for reading wind direction, with some indication of windspeed.

I don't see how the Kestrel 1000 serves us on the range. I guess I could put it on a tripod downrange, set a spotting scope on it, and get a spotter to call wind while I'm on the rifle. Oh, but I'll also need to bring a good direction indicator and trigonometric calculator to get actual windspeed. At which point I'd be better off just paying up for the vane and transmitter.

Edit: Actually the Kestrels seem poorly suited to this purpose since their display is coplanar with the anemometer. Generally we care most about the crosswind component, but if we set the Kestrel to read that then we can't see the display!

Last edited:
I don't think R. Walters was trying to be offensive, he was just saying what he thought based on your post. Now maybe he should have read what you said further down about additional criteria you wanted.

You were not clear at all in your original post about what you wanted. Just sounded like you wanted an anemometer without spending any money.

Kestrel 1000 or similar serves me just fine, I don't need something to tell me the wind direction where I am; I can figure that on my own.

At the end of your post where it sounded like you were trying to be a smarta, just so you know putting up your little piece of crap pinwheel specialized wind meter isn't going to do anything about the wind at 100 meters, 200 meters, 300 meters, 400 meters and so on. So while your spending money on your direction indicator and trig calculator, better spend some money on your common sense to tell you how to figure out what's happening down range at your target and every where between because I don't see how your pinwheels are going to tell you that.

Think I'll stick with the kestrel and a little bit of wind knowledge.

You were not clear at all in your original post about what you wanted. Just sounded like you wanted an anemometer without spending any money.

Kestrel 1000 or similar serves me just fine, I don't need something to tell me the wind direction where I am; I can figure that on my own.

At the end of your post where it sounded like you were trying to be a smarta, just so you know putting up your little piece of crap pinwheel specialized wind meter isn't going to do anything about the wind at 100 meters, 200 meters, 300 meters, 400 meters and so on. So while your spending money on your direction indicator and trig calculator, better spend some money on your common sense to tell you how to figure out what's happening down range at your target and every where between because I don't see how your pinwheels are going to tell you that.

Think I'll stick with the kestrel and a little bit of wind knowledge.

Yes, I'm sorry the first post wasn't clear that I am looking for something I can place downrange (besides flags). This following photo is overkill, but it shows vaned pinwheels setup downrange so you can see exactly what wind is doing at many arbitrary points. At $400/station I can't afford to line up vaned wireless Kestrels downrange, but I suspect I could afford a batch of these "little piece of crap pinwheels."

Slide2.jpg