• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Wisconsin 2017 events thread

I managed to have a good day with Garrett and Miles. High and dry where we shoot from and the field wasn't even muddy! All the plates will need more paint

I managed to have a good day with Garrett and Miles. High and dry where we shoot from and the field wasn't even muddy! All the plates will need more paint

Always a good day when you get to shoot. Always a better day when the field is dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, it was a good day! Weather was perfect and it felt good to go out and ring some steel. That beer afterwards tasted great!

I got the floating shooting platform finished. Tested it out a little bit. I think it should work pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't look like it's the most portable thing... it would fit where we shoot from at my place though.

I'll be headed out about lunch time for a little while if someone wants to come. I know it's short notice.

No worries. Just throwing it out there is some was looking for a place to shoot. Have fun

Steel shoot at the Columbus sportsmens range at 5:30 tonight. They have paper and steel shoots in alternating mondays there. Today will be a test run for Garrett and I. As long as he doesn't puss out on account of a few sprinkles

Thanks for posting this! I'll be making it to a few of these for sure. I'll be the guy with the nice rig that can't shoot for shit.

Last edited:
Well, not only did Garrett back out but I did too. Looked a bit more than sprinkles down there. Down right ugly! Maybe next week for the paper

Geno, a test run? Nothing like a good trigger pull with a little camaraderie afterwards. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.

Cheers

oneshot

Yeah, kind of a test run of the new spot I guess. To see how it is. This is he first summer they are doing this is what I was told.

Lookin forward to seeing everyone at the Hilton!

Well, not only did Garrett back out but I did too. Looked a bit more than sprinkles down there. Down right ugly! Maybe next week for the paper

Lol, I was practicing my Chinese soldering skills last night. Took me about an hour to solder up my data cable to tether the laser to the Trimble. Those tiny pins are a pain in the arse to work with. All is good and I didn't have to pay out the rear to Vectronix for a stinking cable. looking forward to some field time. See you all in a couple weeks.

Geno, I'll let you know about Monday, it's tentative as I have a few shop projects I want to get at before heading over to Will's next week.

If it's not pouring for a third week in a row, I'll go. The storms down there were a bit much for me to make the ride to find out they were cancelled or something

A few of us shot there in 2015 at their July balloon shoot, it was a nice setup for shooting.

Cheers
oneshot

Hey all! I'm a little late to the party. Er, Forum, but thought I'd check in. I'm in Oshkosh, but I grew up out in the cranberry country west of Wisconsin Rapids (actually closer to Babcock and Pittsville). I've been spending a lot of time with handguns over the past few years, but am starting to get back in to long range shooting with my rifles. Hope to get a chance to shoot with some of y'all at some point in the future.

Theres a bunch of us that hang in the Pittsville area that are into shooting, I used to post a lot of stuff here as to what is going on, it seems Facebook has taken over some on staying in the loop but the WI. Thread here is still a good place to see what is going on in the area. There is a lot of steel punchers here that can pass along a ton of good advice as well as some that stretch out to 2 miles in which is a whole different Science class. So stay involved hopefully you can hook up in some good camaraderie and shooting - most of all questions - ask away, good people here.

Cheers
oneshot

As much as I hate it I gotta ask what exactly to search for on Facebook. I'm 29 and kind of a technological recluse but I suppose I might look into it if rifles were involved. Thanks. And before all you older gents write me off as one of those yuppie kids, I don't like them either.

Some of our best shooters are 29 - 30+ so don't count yourself short.

Cheers
oneshot

Search for Wisconsin Precision Rifle Steel Challange. That's the page where we run PRS style matches down in Racine. Also look on Facebook or Google for Border Wars Series.

As much as I hate it I gotta ask what exactly to search for on Facebook. I'm 29 and kind of a technological recluse but I suppose I might look into it if rifles were involved. Thanks. And before all you older gents write me off as one of those yuppie kids, I don't like them either.

Or start shooting with Merc and oneshot, they keep a guy in the loop pretty well. It only takes one or two matches and you know enough guys to keep you busy shooting a lot!

Menomonie-ish. Eauclaire....rice lake....

We were all down in Duuuuurand this weekend. I'm an old Stout guy so I used to shoot over that way a lot more. A friend North of Menom about 40 minutes has a couple great places we can get a number of yardages at out past 1500. We try to shoot together a couple times a year on that side of the state. As said, there's a good crew around central Wi, marshfield - rapids - Wausau, hell all the way down to Milwaukee. Show up to one of the local shoots posted here or on FB and meet some people, then you will have to pick which matches you have time to go to. Lots of shooting events taking off in Wi in the last few years.

HA! i was just north of durand...about 12 miles. i dont see myself venturing into the milwaukee area.... marshfield, rapids, wausau are all possible though. i'll keep watching this to see if and when shoots or gatherings come up. thanks.

Myronman3 - you are so lucky to be able to drive a few hours and hook up with some awesome steel shooting, most of all it is the camaraderie of the folks you will be with, we are so lucky to have a great group of steel shooters that just plain get along well and have a vast amount of good knowledge to pass along - that is the golden statement - our group is more about seeing another exceed his or hers own expectations then our own accomplishments or scores. We have folks that are gun builders, wildcatters and precision shooters from 100 yards out to ??? Infinity - some that will be hitting 2 miles under some heavy restraints, which is a whole new science class. So try to hook up, you will have a blast.

Geno
Sorry that I didn't get a chance to say good bye at the Hilltop Hilton shoot, a good note I stayed standing upright all night. :) I must of been in the back visiting, it was good to see you and your sweetie I wish we had chance to get together some before your busy season. I know the New Mexico event has myself, Ed and Garrett somewhat distracted this year. Give me a holler when you get caught up in the shop and have a spot in the basement for a night cap it would be good for the mind to relax, have a couple relax some more and catch up some without driving. Cheers my good freind.

Excellent shooting everyone at Durand it was a good day of pulling the trigger.
Some stand outs with my tired mind that day
Jason Ojah - had a great day all around with a new build and Ed's load and spare ammo - I believe he finished 2nd in the Sniper Gopher challenge - Dam proud.
Gibson fired off a sweet round in the steel challenge - didn't take first but a sweet round without a doubt - congrats excellent shooting my freind!
Merc - looking good with the new set up - keep up the good work and don't worry about the scores - focus on having fun at pulling the trigger yet pay attention to the little things it will all pay you back well, glad to have the opportunity to catch up and visit with you again. I know you know what your doing but I also know your taking it to the next step. Cheers
Dave, way to get it done on the bottles - sweet. Congrats my good freind
Garrett - what? Another great day of shooting without a doubt, looking foward to this May & June

I had a few folks ask that day if all was ok, yes it was I may not of been myself, I felt like shit total crap from a lack of sleep and work stress but it was all of you and getting back behind the trigger that made it a great day pulling the trigger again!

Cheers

oneshot

Alright folks who's going to the border wars match in Lodi this weekend? I didn't find a slot to shoot but I live 2 miles away and may just as well stop in. Be good to put a couple faces with the screen names.

Oneshot, thank you so much for the kind words. I'm sure I can do better with practice. I always learn tons when I am out with you guys. I absolutely had a blast in Durand. Bummer you weren't feeling the best. Hopefully you keep feeing better! I love talking to you, Ed, Bob, and Garrett and hear about what your doing for the KO2M. Geno is also a wealth of information. I'm very blessed to have such a great group of guys to learn from. Rotojager has also been a tremendous help in getting me squared away.

Zick, I'm pretty sure Rotojager will be there. Not sure about anyone else.

i'm looking forward to getting together with some of you, and at least seeing how other guys do things. as long as i know in advance, i should be able to make it. informal gatherings appeal to me more than formal stuff.

soonest i get to stretch the legs of my rifle is the end of may...... a group of former infantry guys gather in west virginia and we eat, shoot, and catch up. we shoot from mountain side to mountain side...and it's a hoot. it's the longest i've been able to shoot since Bragg, and i enjoy it.

i'm looking foward to linking up.

Well, I should apologize for having to cut out so hastily. Babysitter problem and being 3 hours from home... shit happens. Once again it was an awesome time at the Hilltop shoot! Great weather for yet another year and great friends make for a perfect time. Jamie had a good time and is looking forward to doing it again. I'll make sure things in my end go more smoothly next year in my end.

Jeff, you're welcome down anytime! Just give me a heads up and I should be able to free up an evening. Not sure if I'll get the bar finished in the basement but the fridge is down there so the drinks will be cold. I pull out the 15th so after that it'll be August till I see my place again and only for a week until October again. Little Cash upgraded to a queen bed this spring so we have another place for adults to crash. Plenty of room for about a full truckload.

I will make the call about going to Racine on Friday evening. If the weather is total crap I might pass. Been spending too much time working in the rain lately. And snow today, wtf?!

Rain and wind didn't stop the border war in Lodi today. Couple PRS guys out too.

Attachments

• photo55641.jpg
    photo55641.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Awful quiet around here lately. Anybody slinging lead? I went out today and the bastards working the quarry I shoot in put the finish gravel pile right in the middle of my longest lane. Keys are in the loader but it's a days worth of dicking around and it's going to be hot as the devils beanbag tomorrow. Hope everybody's well.

Not much shooting here. Gone to the local range with a friend a couple times, but that was for fun and to help her shoot more. I think the next comp I'm doing is early July. Been trying to get the boat out more and do some more fishing.

Took the AX308 and Defiance Deviant out today to try to shake out some of the issues I've been seeing with Prime 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo. Didn't turn out the way I'd like. SD's were way too high for my liking. Deciding to switch over to an OCW test for my AX308 with 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Ran some Nosler RDF 140s over H4350, the winning load was 42.7g with an ES of 17 and SD of 6.6.

Prime Ammo

Its been a crazy busy year with work, other then that Ed, Garrett and I have been busy working with the 2 mile rifles, especially my Nebraska build it has been challenging. A few of us did the Grinder that was fun. Hopefully we can all hook up later this summer for a catch up.

Cheers

Its been a crazy busy year with work, other then that Ed, Garrett and I have been busy working with the 2 mile rifles, especially my Nebraska build it has been challenging. A few of us did the Grinder that was fun. Hopefully we can all hook up later this summer for a catch up.

Cheers

I'll probably only have time to do one or two more Border Wars matches this summer and that'll probably be it before I start gearing up for the GAP Grind. It's amazing how fast summer fills up.

Cheers

Hope you guys do well with your 2 mile stuff. Maybe we can do a shoot/cookout some Saturday or Sunday. A nice get together and catch up kinda thing.

Just started back into long range after a hiatus. Had some work done on my rifle, worked up some new loads and am waiting for my rifle to come back from getting the bolt welded back on... I'm in the Fox Valley So I Have been hitting Shiocton a lot this year. steel out to 576 yds. Will be heading back out there during the next week (I'm off the whole week of the fourth).

Just started back into long range after a hiatus. Had some work done on my rifle, worked up some new loads and am waiting for my rifle to come back from getting the bolt welded back on... I'm in the Fox Valley So I Have been hitting Shiocton a lot this year. steel out to 576 yds. Will be heading back out there during the next week (I'm off the whole week of the fourth).

Might be there tuesday or thursday getting ready for the Border Wars match.

Thursday looks like a good day for me... Need time to get my action back .. put everything back together and get it re zeroed... Maybe we will run into each other...:)

How about a report from the King of Two Mile?! I have a little info and some congrats given but how about you fill in the WI crowd about the skill level of some of our best ELR shooters.