• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Wisconsin 2017 events thread

Just started back into long range after a hiatus. Had some work done on my rifle, worked up some new loads and am waiting for my rifle to come back from getting the bolt welded back on... I'm in the Fox Valley So I Have been hitting Shiocton a lot this year. steel out to 576 yds. Will be heading back out there during the next week (I'm off the whole week of the fourth).

A friend and I will be out Monday morning.

We had a great crew and team effort.

Our stop in Colorado to check drops and tune BCs if necessary was well worth the time just to confirm our dope was accurate with the DAs, we were able to stretch out to 2 miles there.

Monday arriving in Raton, NM we checked in and then went to the range to confirm zeros - average DAs were running 9000 give or take - free speed compared to WI. Then after zeros we went to the location of the KO2M course of fire staging and shooting line area and spent a large portion of the late afternoon just studying the target locations in the mountain side, mapping the info to hard copy, ranging the target locations and angle, and the majority of the time was studying the terrain and effects of the wind - note most of the trees on the mountain are cast solid they just don't twitch much after living everyday in the wind unbelievable solid.

Tuesday Day 1 - qualifying

Ed - 375 Snipetac
Spotter - myself
Ed was the lucky guy that got to start the whole show off #1 shooter, it was chaos at the shooting position we had 20 or 30 minutes to check the conditions reset any data necessary while the TV camera crews were getting set up, so when it came time Ed was a little wired - just rushed a little without being able to lay down position the rifle to targets adjusting bipods and settling down, but he shot dang good with all the pressure and switching winds.

Kirk - was WI now lives in SD - 50 Cal
Spotters - Garrett and myself
Kirk was around number 5 to shoot the first morning he was using a 50 cal that Garrett brought along and was assembled the week prior, He had a good time shooting even though there was some funky stuff as he walked his bullets close but just couldn't connect. The guns shoots tight it was probably a little bit of nerves, maybe some up drafting going on, Kirk was also shooting a rifle he did not have a chance to get much trigger time behind as was trying to get comfortable behind. He still is an excellent shot without a doubt.

Garrett - 50 cal
Spotters - Kirk and myself
Garrett was only a few shooters behind Kirk, Garrett got set up confirmed all the target locations while in his shooting position and commenced firing we were getting a little wind switching going on called corrections and Garrett followed through hammering the steel- 50s are nice for seeing impacts. He had a great run and was at the top of the score board at the end of the first day qualifying. Excellent job!

Wednesday Day 2 - qualifing

Jeff - 375 Snipetac -Ed's 375, I was not trusting the mechanics in my 375 VM2 with the extraction issues
Spotters - Ed and Kirk
I believe I was shooter number 9 that morning I got into position everything felt good we had a little more switching wind then the day prior to deal with. Everything went well the only target that I really struggled with was the 1543 yard - I had solid aim points but the impacts were dancing vertical, afterwards Ed and I were evaluating everything and figured that a cause for the vertical dancing just over or under the target was moreso the angle and weight transfer to the bi-pod on that particular target - because of aiming down and lower to the 1543 versus the Coldbore and others. We may have been transferring weight to the legs and causing some vertical chatter. It was cool to walk away hitting the cold bore and all the rest of the qualifier targets required :)

In the two days of qualifying for a spot in the top 10 out of 49 shooters that pulled the trigger
Only 4 shooters hit the 1st shot - 16" Coldbore target - 1691 yards
Only 1 shooter tore up the paint on every target in the course of fire - 1691 - 1543 - 1722 - 1888 - 1953 yards :)

The Finale! 2667 - 3028 - 3368 yards

Garrett was around the 7th in line to shoot after the random draw for firing order.
Spotters - Kirk and myself
We were dealing with some good tail winds switching around, Garrett got settled in and fired, we were unable to confirm an impact at first to the rounds going high and into the brush above the target. - cause? Updrats from the wind hitting the mountain face and possibly a tweak done on the scope mount, we definitely could see how the changing updrafts from the tail winds were pushing up and dropping our point of impacts - this was a day of luck, science and shooter/equipment some folks had a lot and some a little wind - just another great day of pulling the trigger. Congrats Garrett with finishing 5th!

Everyone shooting the KO2M had at least 4 TV camera's focused in on them and interviews after shooting- supposedly they will have a series on the KO2M on Discovery Channel

Cap
We learned a lot with our pre shoot testing in Colorado and then utilized that info and worked as a group - team to study the elimates - Ed alone had hours of sitting in a spotting scope studying brush, trees for wind calls when needed to the point of reading a wind "gust" in the mirage. We really came together as a team to make this all happen.

Oh Yeah ------ Rock on Field Firing Solutions!

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

Last edited:
Has anyone made it to Columbus for one of their shoots yet?

4th week in August is going to try to get some shooting in.

Anybody have interest in shooting in Columbus on Aug 14? Been meaning to get over there but it won't happen until it gets penciled in the calendar. It would be nice to get a group together.

photo67356.jpg Nice picture from the past

Last edited:
photo67673.jpg Well Geno

After a lot of caressing and attention I'm letting the old girl go and onto bigger and better things based off of a 50 cal. I put it up for sale last night on another site. Going from the 375VM2 to a necked down 50 cal to a 375 - then I can shoot the 375 spin the barrel off and shoot the 50 cal that would be fun at one of the cold bore events around here if they would let a guy shoot a 50 cal.

Hope I'd sells quick so you can get new stuff. I've told myself I don't need anything bigger than I have for the ranges I have readily available. If I can secure a spot to shoot that's 1500+ then that will change. I want to build a big one but have a hard time keeping up with what o have currently...

Headed out today to see if the 223ai is up to the task of shooting Racine on Saturday. If not hopefully the 260ai is

Couldn't get a 10rd mag lined up and functioning 100% for the 223ai so I'll be shooting the 260ai. 140vlds @ 2930fps.

I heard that the Lonely Few Biker Club in Riplinger, WI is having their 600 yard Cold Bore event on Oct. 21st.
You can bring two guns to shoot and any one gun can only be shot twice if you borrow it out once.

They will also have a 500 yard - light hunting gun class as well.

Anyone plan on going?

oneshot

let me ask a stupid question...how in the fuck do you guys find out about upcoming events?

Finding out about local events

Goggle - Fox Trackers 600 yard Cold Bore event

Goggle - TNT group shoot Jan. 1

Goggle - Lonely Few Cold Bore event in Riplinger WI

Face Book - https://www.facebook.com/borderwarrifleseries/#

Face Book - Wisconsin Precision Rifle Steel Challenge

E-mails from past events attended

Word of mouth from other friends.

There are folks that have attended all of the above that are on this site that visit here.

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

plenty event happen over in racine pretty much all word of mouth . guess it who you know . I have to listen in on other conversation find out about event that not even posted anywhere

Alright, looks like I'm in for Racine. Bringing Oja with me. New lot of H4350 is acting wierd but still shooting well. I'll try to burn up some leftovers from the grinder in the closer stages. Last time for that brass anyway.

I would have like to make the cold bore but there is more shooting in Racine. Things are finally starting to slow down a bit here so I'll be getting out shooting a little more, here and elsewhere. Got a couple guns to work loads for and now Buzz wants to shoot again so I might rebarrel the 22-250ai to a 6mm of some sort to get him more hits in tougher wind.

Good luck to everyone shooting in Racine tomorrow. One of these days I'm gonna shoot in one of these events.

Great day in Racine yesterday. Weather was absolutely perfect, and a good crew showed up. Was fun to shoot with everyone again. Cleaning the last multi yard stage at 600 felt good too :) I might finally be getting a handle on running the 142's again.

Thank to all that came out yesterday hope you all had a good time! hell I even got geno to buy me a new cleaning rod!!!;)

What's everyone's goals for the off-season?

Mine are:
1) Get the Mk13 Mod 7 clone all squared away. Maybe get 2800fps out of 230 Berger Hybrids
2) Get a load developed for my 28" 6XC barrel, hopefully in that 3100 to 3150 range.
3) Acquire a scope to either run on my AXMC competition gun or my on my Mk13 Mod7
4) Most importantly, get a handle on wind calls. They were my biggest weakness all year at matches and finally feel like I was making progress at the GAP Grind, I'd like to continue with that progress over winter.

Good shooting with you Garrett. A great group of shooters to be sure.
My goals for the winter
1) Get new 7mm Wby barrel installed and load worked up.
2) Put 338WM back together.
3) Build 338 suppressor.
4) Hopefully enjoy new 22can when it comes in.

It was indeed a good time at Racine. Best weather I've shot in down there to date. A little tricky wind thrown in here and there to make it interesting.

John. You're welcome for the rod :) glad you helping me out ended up helping you out too! Probably going to be a funny story for quite a while.

Winter goals are are tough for me. I have no idea what I'll get done and a list of shit to get done a mile long! Like Johnny Cash I'll get it "One piece at a time"

My goals have already changed>

Any extra optic is going to have to wait and will probably get pushed back to fall/winter of 18 and 19. Stumbled onto a screaming deal for an NVD rig and NVDs have been on my list for a long time. Right Aaron? Going to try to get my AR set up to work with those.

My goals have already changed>

Any extra optic is going to have to wait and will probably get pushed back to fall/winter of 18 and 19. Stumbled onto a screaming deal for an NVD rig and NVDs have been on my list for a long time. Right Aaron? Going to try to get my AR set up to work with those.

Yea they have been on your want list for quite a while glad you found a great deal!

Since it sounds like Racine will be closed in 2018, anyone have a line on Wisconsin matches next year? I heard rumors of something brewing in Rapids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbed the scope off Buzz's gun for the coyote blaster.

Attachments

• photo78052.jpg
    photo78052.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 13
Looks great!

update to my list. Amy and I are both shooting Razor Gen 2s now. No I don’t think it’s better than my Schmidt & Benders but it’s the only way we were going to able to shoot the same scope.

Going to develop a load load for my 6XC barrel when it comes home from Kreiger. Went 28”. Hopefully get decent speeds with less powder or even a slower powder. Maybe save in barrel life versus my 26”.

I'll probably end up letting Buzz use the AMG when I get the 6.5-47 barrel on his gun. I've been wanting to upgrade to an ATACR F1. Missed a good deal on a 7-35 that I'm still a little sour about.

Were you running an XC in the 26" also?

Yes. Did a super quick down and dirty load development before the GAP Grind with the 26”.

probably going to run the 26” barrel as a dedicated suppressor barrel and the 28” as a dedicated barrel for braked use.

I thought the guys with 243s running H1000 were getting about the same life as the creeds are

I thought the guys with 243s running H1000 were getting about the same life as the creeds are

I'm not running Creed. Running 6XC. 3ish grains less powder than I was seeing out of 6.5 Creed and 6 Creed and running faster than my 6 Creed loads.. The nice thing is, I can form brass from 6.5 Creedmoor brass if I'm in a pinch.

Adding a new thing to my list for the preseason this year. Need to upgrade to an A&D120i scale with the auto throw and trickler.

Thanks for the heads up. Going no to have to wait until after the holidays but should be a good long term investment as long as I continue to compete.

FYI
I had the FX120 for about a year now with Adams trickler, this was the best investment period of all my years of reloading, we are anal as hell when it comes to case prep and reloading and the system has made life easier. Every round Ed and I used at the 2017 King of 2 Mile was ran through this system because of it's accuracy and when competing, under pressure and dealing with the elements handed out we were able to place the 3 bullets fired within a 12" vertical spread at a target just under 2000 yards (excellent) it shows that being able to keep the ES's to low single digits minimum pay off big time.

Ed ended up getting the auto dump as well on his this summer when it came out, works very well even with the heavy dumps needed for the 375s.

Cheers
Jeff