• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

WMR

fr3db3ar

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Holland, MI
I know we don't talk about WMR much and some folks just don't think the round has what it takes to do anything other than small game. Also, some folks just getting into rimfire wonder what kind of groups or accuracy this round has. I decided to show a target I shot the other day to show what might be done with this fantastic round.

Btw, I don't claim to be a good shot. Sometimes it just all comes together. This was shot from bipod front, small handheld bag rear. Savage 93 pre-acutrigger, Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X mil dot.

Model93.jpg

DSCF3088.jpg

Re: WMR

Nice results. IMO the 22 WMR (especially with some of the new ammo) just blows away the 17 HMR for actual hunting use.
Nice rig too, shows you don't need a 5 grand rifle to do the job.
Would be interested in your opinion on the 10X 3200. It appears to be an excellent value. Can you compare it to any other major brands/models? Thanks.

Try some CCI with the Speer TNT Bullet. This is a 30 gr bullet. This was very accurate in my Ruger 77 and very explosive on Varmints.

found a few....

.22 magnum hunting question
Hogs by 22 magnum?
22 mag pros / cons
22 magnum hunting results

seemingly as finicky with ammo as 22lr, but when you need the extra oomph for a target of oppurtunity that presents itself while squirrel hunting, and with the right ammo and shot placement, would take it for coyote sized game out to about 125 yards.

have taken deer (injured) with it for some work done for a wildlife service, does a decent job out to 50 yards behind the ears. also used the 22lr for the same but 30 yards or less.

tried to shoot it this weekend and post pics for 100 & 200 yards, too windy. will do when calmer.

super happy with it on squirrels, rabbit, turkey, woodchucks out to 150/160, crows.

I don't know that I can compare the 3200 to other scopes as I don't have a lot. I can tell you that it is very clear.

Great post, thanks for the information. I've been debating between a .22 mag and a .17hmr for a while. Love the fact that .22 mag shoots up to a 50 gr as opposed to the 17 hmr's 20gr but everything I've heard is that the .17 is so much more accurate. Great to see that the .22 can group as well.

The Hornady V-Max is great for my .22 Magnum, but try some Remington AccuTip (green tip) as well they are about the same in weight and speed but the Rem. seems to be seated longer...

i don't any field experience woth the .17, but a ton with the .22 mag.

from guys at the range, i get mixed opinions, mostly if there is a slight breeze, your way off target, but when calm, the .17 out performs the mag.

you know in the hunting arena, the weather seemingly changes hour by hour. i like the idea of more stability and consistancy of the 22 mag compared to leaving the .17 at home when conditions are changing.

i'll probably end up with a .17 eventually, however i'm holding out for (and praying) that savage comes out with a 5mm rimfire boltaction. i'm thinking that'll be the solution to the .22 mag, 22lr, .17hmr when it comes to hunting.