• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Woodchuck Hunting

Re: Woodchuck Hunting

There are a ton of whistle pigs over here and quite a few rock chucks. We shoot them every weekend and cant even make a dent in the population. There are even some farmers that will offer to pay for your ammo to shoot the damn things. These bastards can destroy entire fields and really fuck up cattle.

I love how people who have never been around these things like to stick up for them and preach about ethics. Not to mention these little bastards will even eat each other. Once my wife saw that she was on board...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent photo and i just love the eye on the other side about ready to pop out. I am getting ready to put parts together for a build and also want to do a 243 AI. Tell me a little about your rifle if you will. Did you have it comepletely dipped and by who? </div></div>

Gun was built by Harold Fredd haroldsgunsmithing.com in Tomah, WI. Randy Hoffer rahofferllc.com in Arcadia WI dipped it and yes, everything is done in digital woodland. This rifle is on a Phoenix Machine action with a Rock Creek 5R varmint contour barrel. Bottom metal is by Seekins as is the rail and recoil lug. Scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 Mildot. I am very happy with the rifle, it is five for five on ground hogs so far.
My intentions were a walking rifle and this fits the bill nicely. It's almost seven pounds lighter than my other 243 AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am missing home so bad right now! Missed the spring and first cut shooting already so with any luck I'll have some trigger time in the fields later this month.

Three weeks of vacation coming up later in the month, can't wait! </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing, I have about a month left on my deployment. I can't wait to get back to PA/MD and kill some of these S.O.B's. Great thread.

This one took a 75 gr AMAX right in the whiskers looking out from under the apple crates. AMAX contributions were graciously donated by a 22-250 AI.

image-3.jpg

Now, that's in your face!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one took a 75 gr AMAX right in the whiskers looking out from under the apple crates. AMAX contributions were graciously donated by a 22-250 AI.

image-3.jpg
</div></div>

Didn't know you could hunt hogs at long range.Where I hunt every shot under 300,all but 3 under 100.last 2 at 8yds & 5yds.odd thing is those last ones walked right up to me and sat there while put in plugs and brought up the gun.That 8 yard one taught me the importance of a having an adjustable power scope,would have been hard to see at 14x.Saw it at 4.5x though.Then I just started carrying the .357 I used to shoot the one at 5 yds.

I gave this hog the good news from the loft in the Barn in the distance. He was sitting at 476yds. The rifle was built by Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs "SAC". It is a 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a shooter.
2a7ga42.jpg

nice stick and nice shot dennis. how do you like the mcree and the cartridge?

The cartridge in my opinion is extremely impressive. I've pretty much been a dedicated 308 shooter my whole life. When I switched over to the Creedmoor I couldn't believe the improvement in 1st round hits at long range targets. It really strengthened my opinion about learning on a 308. Especially when it comes to calling wind. It has taken my marksmanship to a whole new level.

As far as the Mcree Chassis is concerned am in love with it also. Very versatile.

After reading this thread my first reaction was and still is like everyone else. But for whatever reason 713 obviously feels strongly about this.

713... I didn't realize this until this thread that there are so many farming folk here on the hide. I am one of them. In case you weren't aware. It's not the easiest way to pay the bills. Read Tripwires post. He not making this stuff up. Ground hogs are destructive and they do cause a lot of problems on the farm. Just last week my son forgot to close up a coop because he free ranges some turkey's and overnight he lost 6 of them. A family of raccoons... didn't even eat them just killed them. Lesson learned for my son.

You mentioned firefights with humans. I'm sure that wasn't something you dreamed of and wanted to do (kill people) Right? You did it because it was your job & you had to. To protect yourself, your interest's and your country. Thank you for that.
Same with farmers and ranchers Some thing's you do because it's what has to be done. Before you judge another man for what he does take a long hard look at why he might be doing it. It's not an excuse it's a reality.

Even Deersnipers post: Season before last between the coon and deer. (mostly deer) I lost close to an acre on the back side of my cornfield. The damn coons pull it down and the deer just take a few bites out of every piece as they walk by. And forget about even trying to grow sweet corn here. It wouldn't last a week. We're really over run with deer and it gets difficult sometimes to just set back and let all your hard work & dollars go down the toilet. In my case I call the game warden and he gives me deer tags. Then I give them to people who want some meat. (mostly does) point is everyone does what they have to to make a living.

Nothing against you but you must have known that post was going to get you a lot of flack. You earned it. You may not agree with people shooting ground hog's coyotes, Whatever. But at least try & understand why some of us do it.

And for the one's that just like to shoot them. Amen to them. There helping with population control and having a good time while doing it. I think a lot of young hunters learn how to hunt & shoot this way. Spending time with their dad's doing things together.

Anyway Good luck to you and don't take anything to personal, I'm sure a good amount of people probably agree with your position on this. Obviously not here.. but somewhere.

I never noticed groundhogs when I was growing up, but a friend with a farm has about a dozen... and the damage they do is really amazing. He has a 100 year old farmhouse and the hogs and their digging are posing a serious threat to the foundation of his home. Hopefully, when it warms up, I will help dispatch some to save his house.

Just got a 700 cdl rem in 243 looking forward to "chuck" season. Also have a ptr91 I haven't really got that long shot with.

I just went out and bought 1600 rounds of .17 hummer for piggin' season. In Idaho, this season lasts from March until early July when it starts getting pretty hot out. The pigs stay in their dens from that time forward.

The "whistlepigs" here are a cannabalistic ground squirrel. They're called whistlepigs because that is their method of communication. It is really bizarre standing in an open field, and hearing this random whistling all over.

Anyhow, you plug one, and when the other zombies come out to eat it, they end up getting clipped too! With the .17, they do triple lutze's, and w whole host of backflips and other aerial assortments. It's like my own private cirque du soleil!!
smile.gif

These are some old pictures but they really make me miss Ohio... I haven't shot one in probably 5 years but this is where I got my first taste of long range shooting. Ruger M77 MKII Target gray 22-250 was my first semi accurate rifle.
groundhogs.jpg

groundhogs1.jpg

I'm going to post my annual springtime warning about not touching chucks, sage rats, etc because of all the diseases they carry, up to and including bubonic plague. I got mange from one.
For mirage98: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was Chuck Norris?
All of it. Twice.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I got mange from one.</div></div>

u lose all your hair?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I got mange from one.</div></div>

u lose all your hair?
smile.gif
</div></div>

he's working on it
grin.gif

Some from a trip to Oregon. Had mulitple shooters taking chucks at 600-650 yards.
IMG_0812.jpg

One from today in Mich....
IMG_0831.jpg

Awesome, Love the Buckmarks and .22 kills. Some people say they dont have the oomph to kill 'em at range, but within 100 yards, with good ammo, dead. If you want to gauge your fieldcraft skill, try sneaking to within 100y of them before your shot. I dont have woodchucks in Cali, but I get to work out on ground squirrels, and rarely yellow-bellied marmots (rockchucks) when I get up there. Love the pics, Keep em coming.

First one of the year with handgun. Ruger GP100 6" .357 Mag. 146g Speer JHP @ 20 yards.
[img:center]http://
0417121449_0001.jpg
[/img]

Savage M2-FV. CCI Velocitor .22 LR.

0525121050.jpg

Another recent one from 100+ yards with the .22 LR. Kill #20 for the season, IIRC.

0425121737.jpg

Keep 'em coming.

-The Kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question:

Do you skin out woodchucks for fur ever? There fur color on those silvery ones kinda reminds me of a badger.

I understand if you don't want to or just shoot them for hobby or pest control...it just seems like they'd be kinda nice looking pelts.</div></div>

Negative. I don't know of any market for them and they generally are pretty scruffy. The fur is pretty course.

I love killing them as it keeps me sharp during the summer and provides a MUCH appreciated service to the local farmers. I killed 16 off one small property last year and they complained that I didn't kill nearly enough. Gonna have to get systematic about this stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question:

Do you skin out woodchucks for fur ever? There fur color on those silvery ones kinda reminds me of a badger.

I understand if you don't want to or just shoot them for hobby or pest control...it just seems like they'd be kinda nice looking pelts. </div></div>

No chuck fur here either. Those silver littles are normally blown to pieces. Took me some doing to get the pic right on those 3.

This one tried to make it back through the wire this morning.

A four round burst up his six sorta ruined that plan.....

2012-06-12_102528.jpg

Tripwire: Freakin' gnarly. haha.

Smacked this one @ 65 yards. First baby of the year. In through the skull and out through the guts.

downsized_0609121719.jpg

...and my new longest kill with a .22 LR or any other weapon. 360 paces. Took me 7 shots to make the hit and then DRT. Exit hole looks like about .35 caliber, as it always does with Velocitors. :p

325ghogcopy.jpg

More tonight I hope. Now that the babies are out, it's time to let the blood flow.

A bit bloody huh.....

A couple more from this morning....a little cleaner, just a little.

2012-06-13100510.jpg

2012-06-13093106.jpg

I've been pretty impressed with the chuck lethality of the CCI segmented HP out of my buckmark.
I don't advise using a P22 and Wolf ammo :p

I'm pretty impressed with the 85 grain TSX.........

Two more victims this morning.

Incidental targets though.....

The main targets remain elusive......the known Breeders, the tractor wrecking field hole dwellers, the truly evil ones.....the head of the snake.

2012-06-14111448.jpg

2012-06-14113732.jpg

good job! you should have put it in the sod poodle 2012 so we can keep track of the 12' kills....

Looks like he killed him and field dressed him all at once with that 162

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy sent me this one, 162 AMAX and a big 7:

162AMAXvswhistlepig.jpg
</div></div>

Same guy told me of a friend hunting chucks with a 270-<span style="color: #006600">300 WM</span> using a 100-110 grain bullet.
They were walking to the shooting location and spotted a chuck on the gravel road <span style="color: #006600">100 or so yards</span> ahead.
His buddy shot it and it launched like a propeller with a 3' trail of entrails. It spun up and hit a low hanging branch 8-9 feet off the ground and bounced back down.