• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Work Boots

HonkeyMcGee88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2011
TX, USA
I have seen plenty of posts asking about good boots for hunting/duty/etc but the boots I see mentioned here don't quite meet my needs. I like many others have gotten to the point that I would like to get some quality boots but am not really sure where to look. I am a welder so I have to have steel toe and prefer a wellington style boot because there are no laces for sparks to make there way into. I am in them for 10+ hrs a day and would like something more comfortable than the stuff you find at Academy.

Appreciate any suggestions.

I've wore several brands of steel toe boots but once I bought my first pair of thorogood boots I haven't bought any other brand. I haven't tried their slip on boot but the lace ups have been great. Made in the USA also.

Redwings. Currently I'm wearing a pair of Justin's that are made in USA. I like them now, but damn it took a bit to break em in. Had to wear a nice thick sock until the leather formed my foot. I don't remember having to do that with my Redwings but they are so old who remembers anyhow. Both boots are an excellent choice.

I've posted this here before but here goes again: White's Boots.

The last pair of boots you'll ever need. They're custom made to each foot (most people's feet are ~1/4 size different left to right) and made to last. Once they break in they are all-day comfortable. If you ever wear something out on them, they can be infinitely re-soled or rebuilt. They make the official boot for the "smokejumper" wildfire fighters. Tough shoes to fill, as it were... Check out something like the Smokejumper line.

And they are actually, truly, really hand made in Spokane, WA.

White's Boots! They take a while to get broke in, but last and last and last. Bought my first pair when I was 17 I think, been wearing them for 38 years. Not the same pair for 38 years, I usually get about 3 years before replacing them...;)

I'll second the WHITE's Boots.
The only work boot you'll ever need/want.

I prefer the 10" Hunters as they are lined compared to the Smoke Jumpers that are un-lined.

I've welded in them for 30+ years.

Spats installed will save the laces/lowers,basically 'till they require re-sole/re-build.

I've got a pair of Redwings with the Boa system. It's the snowboard boot binding type of thing instead of laces. I usually end up wearing them 16-18 hours at a time and have had no problems.

I used to be a big fan of Redwings for my work boots...until I was turned on to Tony Lama TLX work boots. I wear the pull on TLX every day now regardless of work or not, got insulated and non insulated. If I am out in the mud I wear there lace up boots and they are light years ahead of redwings in the comfort department.

As others here have mentioned Whites are very nice, dont know if they have a pull on or not...but if they do I would imagine they are comfy and built very well.

+1 for the whites!!! All the other boots listed are made in China... We have to stop buying shit that's made in China!!!!!!!!

+1 for the whites!!! All the other boots listed are made in China... We have to stop buying shit that's made in China!!!!!!!!
The Made in the USA Redwings are not made in China.

Some Redwings are made in China - check the label. Currently wearing Redwings on concrete all day long. Looking at Whites for the future.

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely be looking into some whites. I'm looking at the Explorer steel toe, I do not like the very big heel in the back like most of there boots have.

Redwing 2414 I am in them 60+ hours a week. On my feet on concrete except for the drive to work. Wore the first pair out in 6 yrs. Bought same SKU again. Elk hunted in them 1 year too. Made in USA also.

The Made in the USA Redwings are not made in China.

Really??? Like I said the boots that were listed i.e. Tony lama tlx and red wing boa system boots are made in China. I did not say all red wings were made in China but probably 80% of them are. It's disgusting!!! Please just look at the label before you buy your boots or anything else.

Oilfield worker here and another vote for Redwings. Look at the new 4448 non insulated or 2250 insulated models, I bought a pair of the 4448 last year and love them. I can trash a pair of boots in a couple of months but these are holding up great. They use vibram soles and aluminum toes (rated the same as steel but lighter weight) so they are very comfortable. They are listed as waterproof and after standing in ankle deep water many times I can confirm they are in fact waterproof. Redwings went to the softer leather on these so there is no more of the first week of hell breaking them in but like I said, they are holding up great. They have a rubber toe guard on them for the usual scuffs and toe cuts but the have hard plastic side ankle guards that seem pretty sturdy. After trashing many pair of boots, I 100% recommend these even with the slightly higher $250ish price on them.

I tried a pair of Red wings on one time and was not too impressed. Never did try them again. Most people I know either love them or hate them.

I'm wearing Keen Pittsburghs right now. Very comfy, good durability, decent insulation, waterproof, steel toe. Bought them on clearance for under $100, a steal at that price...

Plus one for the whites. Extremely durable and once you get used to wearing a boot with proper arch support comfortable as I've found. Anderson bean in now making steel toe "cowboy work " boots as well. http://andersonbean.com/ab/?page_id=30 also real comfortable in plain toe versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a pair of Red wings on one time and was not too impressed. Never did try them again. Most people I know either love them or hate them.

I've posted this here before but here goes again: White's Boots.

The last pair of boots you'll ever need. They're custom made to each foot (most people's feet are ~1/4 size different left to right) and made to last. Once they break in they are all-day comfortable. If you ever wear something out on them, they can be infinitely re-soled or rebuilt. They make the official boot for the "smokejumper" wildfire fighters. Tough shoes to fill, as it were... Check out something like the Smokejumper line.

And they are actually, truly, really hand made in Spokane, WA.

What ericthebeard has said is the truth. I have been in steel toed work boots everyday for the last 30 years. Off the shelf work boots are made to fit peoples budgets.
I have used every brand and if you are out in the wet, cold, rocks, dirt and climbing around they don't last and usually break down in a few months.
Most off the shelf $100 to $150 dollar mass produced boots are shit.

If you want something that will support your foot buy two pairs of Whites, when the first pair is out to be rebuilt you can break in the second pair.

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely be looking into some whites. I'm looking at the Explorer steel toe, I do not like the very big heel in the back like most of there boots have.

Yeah, I didn't like the thicker sole either. I opted for the Hunter model, which along with having the glove leather liner (super comfy) also lets you chose a much lower-profile sole. But... in general White's are going to have more of a cowboy boot heel compared to others. This gives lots of load-bearing comfort to the arches of your foot without putting in huge "arch support" on a flat sole (which actually weaken your arches).

White's Boots! They take a while to get broke in, but last and last and last. Bought my first pair when I was 17 I think, been wearing them for 38 years. Not the same pair for 38 years, I usually get about 3 years before replacing them...;)

You burn through a pair of White's in 3 years? I didn't even think that'd be possible, you must wear the crap outta them...

You may want to try the H and H boot company. I've been wearing steel toe boots for 15yrs now. I have worn Ariats very comfortable, fell apart in a year. Wolverines destroyed them in a year and a half clearing right of way. Georgia boots soles fell apart. I'm now trying the H and H's they are pretty comfortable and are wearing very well.Had them for a year now. The company says there boots are made in the USA. I put my boots on usually about 5:30am and depending if I'm on call or not sometimes never remove them till 9:00pm till 1:00am. Makes for a long day.

I have wore redwing boots for the past 9 years and love them

Yeah, I didn't like the thicker sole either. I opted for the Hunter model, which along with having the glove leather liner (super comfy) also lets you chose a much lower-profile sole. But... in general White's are going to have more of a cowboy boot heel compared to others. This gives lots of load-bearing comfort to the arches of your foot without putting in huge "arch support" on a flat sole (which actually weaken your arches).

I called and they said they could put the lower profile sole BUT not with the steel toe on the smokejumpers.

not mentioned yet look at hoffmans made in the us and the best boots i have owned, and i go thru boots.

not mentioned yet look at hoffmans made in the us and the best boots i have owned, and i go thru boots.

My father in law is a lineman and wears hoffmans. Checked with him today and he wears the same size so I am going to try them on and see how I like them.

I've wore several brands of steel toe boots but once I bought my first pair of thorogood boots I haven't bought any other brand. I haven't tried their slip on boot but the lace ups have been great. Made in the USA also.

I bought a pair of Thorogoods about 2 years ago because they are made in USA unlike most of the Redwings. They are comfortable and have stood up to almost daily use at a coal fired power plant.

I'm sold on keen steel toes. They won't last forever but they are light, fairly waterproof and very comfortable. Worth trying them on if you find a pair.

Thorogoods all the way. I am a welder as well. I do a good bit of walking so i ditched the Wellingtons. I bought a pair of the wedge thorogoods, and now i own 3 pairs. 2 for work and i have the moc tops to ride in. Very comfortable but the soles wear pretty fast with all the walking i do

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I wear Red Dawg unlined 12" loggers. Made in Canada. I have about 8 months on this pair and they are wearing in good. I spend 14-16 hours a day in them, 7 days a week. Mon-Fri, I do construction (masonry laborer), and I do horse logging Saturday and Sunday, so I end up wearing climbing gaffs alot, as well as walking ridges. I wear them everyday, even to the shooting range. They are comfy and tough, once they get broken in. I bought mine on sale from Baileys logging supply, and if they go on sell again I'm gonna get a pair with caulks for the logging.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I use to be a die hard Red Wing fan boy. I was talked into my first pair of Whites and squashed my love affair with Red Wing boots. My boots from Whites cost more, and I had buyers remorse up until my second week of wearing them. They broke in a little and I fell in love, and they have just been getting better and better. I worked two weeks straight in a muddy semi frozen soupy mess, my feet stayed warm and dry. After the job was done I sprayed them off with water, let them dry, and then used some Obenaufs LP and they shined like new. Going on a year of heavy use now with little sign of wear. Most of my Red Wings lasted two years. I think these will last longer since they hardly show a sign of fatigue.