• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

working up a load will change stock after?'s

Ouch!!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Western, KY
If I work up this load for my rifle with the current factory pillar bedded savage stock only to change to a b&c tactical that's going to be action bedded. Will my accuracy node change?

Re: working up a load will change stock after?'s

Depends if the stock is causing any inaccuracy in the gun before the bedding job.

That is, if the stock is touching the barrel, and after you bed the action it no longer touches the barrel, there is a good chance the zero will move.

On the other hand if the stock is not touching the barrel and only not holding the action the way the action wants to be held, accurcy will improve but the zero might not move at all.

My answer is similar to what Mitch has said.

If your current load was developed on an action/barrel that was stress free for the barrel, then perhaps you may not need to change the load as harmonics should be same same.

However if your old stock was interfering then you may see a difference.

Some people say they get a change in zero... some dont. A change in zero is easy to remedy but a new load is a minor PITA to do again.

I doubt anything will change provided your barrel floats freely and the action isnt under any unwanted stress.

I believe its stress free, I can slide a dollar bill easily between the stock and barrel. I'm just getting ready to change a lot of things. Stock, scope and dbm. But I am doing a load development on the rifle right now for some whitetail action for the upcoming deer season. It's a bummer I can't find 6mm A-max's right now but its alright. I bought a lot of reloading stuff and I'm learning all i can as of right now. So if I burn these bullets up and the powder then its not really a big deal cause I will just do another development on the A-max's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe its stress free, I can slide a dollar bill easily between the stock and barrel. </div></div>

This is only one SMALL part of stress free. If the action is pressed upon in an uneven way, in any fashion, when the screws are torqued, you have stress. The stock must have an EXACT mirror image of the action to allow the action to function as it should. See Roscoe's bedding thread.

John

You can't predict such things.

Loads developed now may or may not be effective after the upgrade.

That's OK as long as you don't build up a large stockpile of ammo that may become less effective afterward. The devlopment you do now is either going to work, or be good experience for redeveloping the load after.

For my own purposes, I don't stockpile handloads.

Greg

As everyone has said it will depend...If loads on either side of it shoots pretty good odds are you will be in good shape, may have to do a little tweaking...Finding more 6MM Amax may be a chore in itself..Seems like they have been out of action for a time now..I had to go to 105 Berger VLD hunting bullets and am quite pleased I did...I have a load I developed with 85 SGK HPBTs that I picked out of a .5 spread that all shot pretty good and they have shot well out of 4 different rifles so anything is possible...

We did take a Savage 300WSM out of the factory stock and installed it in a B&C Tactical/Varmint stock and the groups actually got better with the loads that had be developed for it....

Yeah I cant find the amax's either and I have 4 box's of the moly ones on back order. But I did pick up some berger vld's of the hunting kind. I suppose after I get done shooting these speer 100gr SPBT I will just change over and shoot the VLD's. But I think I need a faster barrel to stabilize the VLD's though right!

Hornady should be running 6mm 105 amaxes right now. I called about 3 weeks ago and the lady on the phone told me that they would run them late October or by the 1st of November. I have 15 boxes on back order with a couple different companies. Just an FYI.

I couln't find them anywhere, either. I was also told by Hornady that the last run was in early 2009 (I think).

Yeah, I have a ton as well. But not sure if Im even gonna get them now...unless these bergers are just total wastes, im gonna stick with one bullet. I couldnt imagine what the quality control is going to be like on them now.