• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Worst part of being a new dad

bkw1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
Queen Creek, AZ
Nobody told me the worst part about being a new dad would be the inlaws. They never leave! I've loaded a lot of ammo the last few weeks since banishing myself to the reloading room. I just want my baby, couch and tv room back! Alright, rant over. Other than that the baby is beautiful and fairly easy (nothing to compare her to). This is just my word of caution to those with in laws in driveable range.

Last edited:
The second part is you won't be able to touch the sides for about a year!
If your hung like a lightswitch.....

My inlaws live close. But they dont bug us much in that PITA kinda way. I would have way more ammo loaded if they did. Like I could open a company.

Nobody told me the worst part about being a new dad would be the inlaws. They never leave! I've loaded a lot of ammo the last few weeks since banishing myself to the reloading room. I just want my couch and tv back! Alright, rant over. Other than that the baby is fairly easy. This is just my word of caution to those with in laws in driveable range.

Count your blessings. Every diaper they change is one you or your wife do not have to change. Every outfit they buy is one you do not have to pay for.

I guess I understand your frustration at the loss of privacy. If they are not trying to take over your life try to give them room to love your child. No child I have ever seen has had too many people loving him or her.

Boundaries need to be politely established early on. Especially when they start telling you both what you are doing wrong and are offering constant advice without being asked for it.

Worst part about being a new dad.....deployment
Be thankful you are at least home and you don't have to miss the first 1-15 months

In 94' my only son was 6 months old and 3 days into a medically induced coma after extensive heart surgery when I left for deployment. Came home 9 months later, no wife, no kids. I would take overbearing in-laws any day.

BKW, I feel your pain. It gets worse when your child gets past the stage of just keeping them alive and every parenting decision you make is apparently the wrong one. Since my wife and I are both working we decided to move to the same town as her parents for free child care. Worst decision we have ever made and my wife agrees. I'm currently looking for a second job just so she can stay home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BKW, I feel your pain. It gets worse when your child gets past the stage of just keeping them alive and every parenting decision you make is apparently the wrong one. Since my wife and I are both working we decided to move to the same town as her parents for free child care. Worst decision we have ever made and my wife agrees. I'm currently looking for a second job just so she can stay home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I can see that happening in the future but for now mine are just squatters. I'm great full to no end for a healthy baby and to be here, that's the problem is when I finally get home from a long day and want to see my baby, someone else always has her.

Just think of it as padding them for future babysitting duty later on and be thankful that the family is so engaged. Could be the opposite and thus count your blessings.

Disclaimer: I have no kids and hopefully never will

Disclaimer: I have no kids and hopefully never will

Haha. There are definitely worse inlaws than mine. My Brothers inlaws are a drug addicted doctor with his license revoked father in law and a plastic surgery/botax addicted slutty mother in law. He moved to Oklahoma to avoid their "help and advice" and he just had them stuck at his house for a month on their vacation. He worked 80hr work weeks surprisingly that month.

Mine are actually the opposite. They moved closer and we see them less than we used to. Works out well because they usually watch kids whenever needed as long as we drop them off. Worst part for me being a new dad is playing mom and dad while she's recovering from having a cesarean. Going from a wife who's usually a do it all stay at home mom to one who can barely move makes it rough when welcoming our 4th. Still wouldn't trade it for the world though.

In 94' my only son was 6 months old and 3 days into a medically induced coma after extensive heart surgery when I left for deployment. Came home 9 months later, no wife, no kids. I would take overbearing in-laws any day.

I am sorry for your loss.

Mine are actually the opposite. They moved closer and we see them less than we used to. Works out well because they usually watch kids whenever needed as long as we drop them off. Worst part for me being a new dad is playing mom and dad while she's recovering from having a cesarean. Going from a wife who's usually a do it all stay at home mom to one who can barely move makes it rough when welcoming our 4th. Still wouldn't trade it for the world though.
Was glad our baby was nothing like me. I was a watermelon on a toothpick at 10lbs of head. No natural birth for me. I need to get on the train where they baby sit while I'm at work, get there fix and hand her back. They just need to quit there jobs first.

I had this issue with my inlaws. They didn't understand our rules, and our boundaries. In fact they tried to tell us the rules we were going to change. That conversation did not go over well. They learned that our rules are to be followed if they want to see their new family member. To put it in to perspective, my sister in law knows I am a CHL holder. I was at the great grandparent in laws home. My sister in law asked for the keys to go get the diaper bag, and I didn't think anything of it. She came back in the house screaming where is it. My response of course "where is what?". She said "your gun, I know you have one on you." Well of course I had one with me, I never travel without it. However it was locked in the safe in the vehicle which she failed to find. She said she had thoroughly gone through our vehicle to find it, and that I was a threat to the house and the child with a gun on me. Now my son wasn't even walking at this point, and crawling was still a challenge. I calmly explained to her, that she is not welcome in my house, that going through my vehicle looking for a weapon is a good way to get hurt, and she is not allowed around my son. I took my son, and walked the great grandmother out to the vehicle to show her it had been locked in the safe, in the vehicle the entire time. I explained that we won't be coming around while she is around, but we will when she is gone. That our rules are to be followed, and respected, which includes how we choose to raise our son.

That seemed to end most of the issues we had with each other. But keep in mind, in laws can be crazy, and you need to make it known you have boundaries and rules. Those rules are followed or you don't come around.

Just one of those things you have to accept when you sign on the dotted line and volunteer.

I gather you weren't there at the birth. Nothing can compare to the horror of an episiotomy. Or your wife's pussy being torn asunder by the baby's emerging head.

...She said "your gun, I know you have one on you." Well of course I had one with me, I never travel without it. However it was locked in the safe in the vehicle which she failed to find. She said she had thoroughly gone through our vehicle to find it, and that I was a threat to the house and the child with a gun on me....
Ida shot da bitch, right then and there, slap in the middle of her surgically perfected face (with my BuG, which I am never without).

But that's just me.

Nobody told me the worst part about being a new dad would be the inlaws. They never leave! I've loaded a lot of ammo the last few weeks since banishing myself to the reloading room. I just want my baby, couch and tv room back! Alright, rant over. Other than that the baby is beautiful and fairly easy (nothing to compare her to). This is just my word of caution to those with in laws in driveable range.

Worst part for me is cleaning up shit. I use latex gloves and now that they're getting older, considering a gas mask.

When you get home and you want to hold your girl take her from whoever has her. If they say anything tell them it was your sperm that made her! There is some in my family who act entitled to my kids and I let it go on way too long. Nip this in the bud quickly. You're going to hurt their feelings but you need bonding time early on with your baby girl. Don't let them interfere with what you want to do with your child!

The best part about that is: Free babysitting on date nights, and the ability to drop the kids off and have some quite time to you and your spouse at your own home.

I'm on my second marriage. My current wife's parents have cleared off a nice part on the ranch property for us to build our house in a few years. The house property is about 1/2 mile drive down the road (driveway to driveway). I will have to produce grandchildren, and babysitting opportunities are few and far between (think: 30 miles to the nearest stoplight). Without the in-laws I think I would go crazy trying to get a little peace/piece with the wife.

Did the whole deployment thing too, and that sucks. After my son was born, I deployed three times by the time he turned five.

Your inlaws will become valuable assets in the near future. When you want to take the wife out, guess who is a free babysitter? I am lucky enough to have all my immediate family live within a couple mile radius. My sister in law babysits our kids more then anyone and she is great to have close by if we need a night out.
You should be equally thankful they come over to help and give you some time to yourself because as the kids get older your free time will dwindle. And you need them to get some of it back!

When you get home and you want to hold your girl take her from whoever has her. If they say anything tell them it was your sperm that made her! There is some in my family who act entitled to my kids and I let it go on way too long. Nip this in the bud quickly. You're going to hurt their feelings but you need bonding time early on with your baby girl. Don't let them interfere with what you want to do with your child!

Yep. Once I got married I figured out fast that if I wanted my house to feel like my house, I'd have to be a dick about some things.

Best thing you can do... If you want to hold your baby when you get home, do that, no matter what the consequences may be. Even if it's your wife holding it, and she's dressing it up in some goofy baby shit, just walk up, grab, hold, walk away. It'll get easier over time because interested parties will learn that that's just how things are.

Just dont forget... They already had their chance to raise kids. Now its your turn, your rules, your house. If they can't be respectful of your wishes as a parent, then being a dick might be your only choice.

I am quickly realizing that everyone's opinions are based on the quality of their in-laws, and formed through interaction.

This should serve as a warning to readers who have yet to settle down: If you meet his/her parents, and they are odd or batshit crazy... run...the apple will not fall far from the tree.

Learned that the first time.

Not necessarily. I quantify my inlaws as BSC but for the most part they don't come around alot. My wife isn't BSC and generally agrees with my assessment.

I think the biggest part of settling down is that too many people search for the perfect person when not perfect themselves. Coming to the realization that I've got some wrong let me realize that more often than not our idea of a perfect mate is more likely a mate with the right kind of wrong.

In the words of a former supervisor: "Honey we're all f***in crazy... it's finding the one who's crazy you don't mind is the trick."

The best part is the 2 year old girl wearing a pink dress in the prone position next to you on the shooting mat, with binoculars pointed at the sky. No matter how bad I miss, my spotter always calls a good hit.

The best part is the 2 year old girl wearing a pink dress in the prone position next to you on the shooting mat, with binoculars pointed at the sky. No matter how bad I miss, my spotter always calls a good hit.
I concur. Two of my girls are almost old enough to start shooting some on their own and I can't wait to get them out there.

My wife is well aware of her family members problems. So much aware that she didn't notify them of the birth until after we got home, to keep them from causing scenes at the hospital and so we could have some peace.

Just had my first 11 days ago. Her parents don't have time between work and her mother having MS. My parents are 20 minutes away and come to take care of the baby if they have free time and we had a shitty night.

It leaves me time to go shoot in the backyard range and load some Ammo. I even got around to building an upper with the grandparents drooling over my kid instead of me.

Congrats on yours!

They don't come with a manual and when all else fails I will read the manual, however they must of forgot to include it with my kids.