• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Would a smith cut my barrel below 16" without SBR stamp? I'm keeping it legal no worries!

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
So I have a project I'm planning and need some help making sure it's all legal. I'm wanting to take a CZ 455 barrel have it cut to 10.5" threaded for a suppressor and then a shroud welded to the barrel at 16.5" so that I will not have to pay an extra $200 for the SBR. The suppressor will slide into the shroud and thread on so the OAL will be around 16.75" or so. It'll be similar to the Tac Sol SBX concept.

My question is can I send a barrel off to a gunsmith to be cut and threaded shorter than 16" without an SBR stamp? Would smiths tend to shy away from this kind of work?

Appreciate the input!

Ben

With the barrel out of the action, it's just a hollow tube. Cut away my friend, just don't put it back in the action until you're over 16".

Ok that's what I was thinking but just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something! Thanks

Ben

Hmmmm...... Does an aluminum pin and TIG weld into an aluminum sleeve still count as "permanent"?
question.jpg

Great.. now I get to try to convince myself I don't need a .300 blackout...

Reactions: gnochi
Hmmmm...... Does an aluminum pin and TIG weld into an aluminum sleeve still count as "permanent"?

Since you have plenty of depth to work with I would use a steel pin under the aluminum pin you weld. I wouldn't do the cut outs as drawn. While technically legal it might be a little bit much depending on LEO questioning you. It would also be very fragile.

I suppose that's the rub. Trade weight for strength. I don't have any pressing plans to pursue that, but it is an interesting idea. I figured split open like that would allow for some grip on the can, otherwise I guess I'd make a tool that fit the front of the can to torque it on/off.

Reactions: HK-93
You should not have the cut-down barrel and the receiver together in your possession until after the shroud has been permanently attached.

You should not have the cut-down barrel and the receiver together in your possession until after the shroud has been permanently attached.

I’m thinking if ATF is kicking in your door to get a potential “intent” charge, it’s going to be an add-on to a real charge you were already going to prison for.

It takes 20 days for a form 1 nowadays, just tell your gunsmith you’re making a pistol with it. Who cares.