• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes WW2 German Sniper Scope / Rifle question

BEARTACTICAL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2009
Brunswick, Ohio
Anyone know what scope that Ed Harris (the German Sniper) in Enemy at the Gates had on his K98 Mauser? I've been thumbing through the Senich book and haven't found it so I thought that I would call on my fellow HOG's out there to help out. Also, any information on the rifle would help but mainly interested in the scope.

206lir6.jpg

27y4ymp.jpg

28kof1l.jpg

Re: WW2 German Sniper Scope / Rifle question

I have read that some civilian scopes were utilized by the Germans and that this may be an example of one of them. I believe that it is a fixed 4 power but have not had this confirmed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BEAR TACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read that some civilian scopes were utilized by the Germans and that this may be an example of one of them. I believe that it is a fixed 4 power but have not had this confirmed.</div></div>

This is correct the Germans did procure civilian scopes whilst restrictions on sniper rifles were still in force under the Treaty of Versailles.

LAter a full military manufacturing and procurement programme was established. Up to around '42/'43 x4 scopes were the norm. However in late '43 the authorities put out a request for civilians to donate higher mag scopes (x6 and x8) to the Reich.

Manufacturers were Zeiss, Hensoldt, Ajack and others.

If you want a good reference book on German WWI / WWII scopes pick up Robert Spielauer's "Sniper Scopes and Mounts 1914-1945". If you're into this stuff check out Robert's site www.K98k,com

I think the scope in your pic is a Zeiss ZF39 Zielacht (x8) with sunshade - it is longer than the more commonly seen Zielvier and has a larger objective.

I've got a Zielvier and Zielsechs...I'll try to post pics soon for comparison.

EDITTED Zeiss Zielsechs #40258 (sorry it's a crappy pic, but you get the idea). I'll try to post pics of my Zielvier tomorrow for comparison.

DSCF0278.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you do know that this shit is pure H O L L Y W O O D......

any and all stuff i have seen in books and publications and collections first hand ...look nothing like the mounts on this stock off-the-rack 98</div></div>

The mounts look a lot like the BNZ Single Claw mounts to me......

http://k98k.com/bnz.html

you do know that this shit is pure H O L L Y W O O D......

any and all stuff i have seen in books and publications and collections first hand ...look nothing like the mounts on this stock off-the-rack 98

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you do know that this shit is pure H O L L Y W O O D......</div></div>

Wrong - EUROWOOD! Don't go blaming that shit on Hollywood by default. "Enemy at the Gates" was a purely European film, at the time the most expensive ever made.

We need slack when we can get it...