• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns WWII P.38 question

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    A buddy was given an old P.38 for Christmas. It's pretty obviously wartime production, it's rough and there are tool marks everwhere. (The swirls in the relief for the safety are almost artistic.

Serial #s on the frame and slide match, but it's marked CyG. I can't find out where that marking comes from. It's not a cyq. The C and the G are uppercase and not a q. The ser# is a 2000 C series.

Any P38 buffs out there that can help me out with some info on this one?

German Date codes
    A B C D E F G H I K
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

therefore CyG would be 1926 The two letter code is found as part or near the proof marks. Happy Year to you hopes this helps

The CyG looks like and is placed in the same location on the slide as the cyq for Spreewerke or byf for Mauser or the AC/## for the Walthers, but I can't find any reference to the marking. I've seen one comment tha they mismatches, but in this case the slide at fame at least match.

German Date codes
    A B C D E F G H I K
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

therefore CyG would be 1926 The two letter code is found as part or near the proof marks. Happy Year to you hopes this helps

1926 would be an unlikely year for a P38 to have been made......

Last edited:
    P38 was introduced in 1938 to replace the P08 Luger very good pistol....... My Dad brought one back from Berlin in 1957 a BYF 42

With Holster and Magazine.......still have it!

It likes +P ammo in 124gr

No such thing as a CYG its a CYQ Spreewerk your serial 2000c suggest The 4th variation mid war gun. Don't shoot +P in it just standard 124 fmj that is what they were deseigned for. +P could fracture the slide.

I posted some pictured on the P38 boards. Apparently this one has a combination of a bad die strike and a tool mark that make the q look like an upper case G, a whole lot like a G, which also makes the C look uppercase to someone who isn't really familiar with the P38.

1_29_12_13_4_46_53.jpg

If you look closely you can see the faintest trace of the very bottom of the tail of the q.

Your CYQ 2000c was was made in May 1943 in the plant in Gottau Czeckoslovkia. Hold on to it if the gun and bore are in good shape Legacy Collectables sell these guns for between $750 and $950. it will only appreciate through time as an investment. If it a family GI bring back than that alone makes it a keeper in my book