• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming hunters! camo question

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
been using solid khaki for a good while and its never done me wrong from mulies to coyote but starting to think about getting some camo. what have y'all found to be a good pattern for out in the plains of southwest wyoming? thinking maybe the desert mar pat or go with a conventional pattern like cabelas zonz western. What do you use? is it worth switching it up and getting some camo?

Honestly if its working for you might as well keep using it. Ive seen guys with monster bucks they killed while wearing blue jeans. My dad still hunts deer in jeans. Me and my brother usually have military BDUs in diff patterns from ACU, woodland, Multicam. digital desert and A-tacs. But as of lately I use either multicam or A-TACS AU. But for real cold weather I use Cableas fleece in outfitter brown.

I just wear blue jeans and usually a sage camo hoodie or the Cabelas Outfitter Camo shirt.

AZ has some similar types of terrain as Wyoming, and here are a few of my favorite camo patterns for grasslands/desert/scrub types habitats. Personally, I really like the lighter patterns. Most of the darker patterns blob up at distance.

My 11 year old daughter modeling most of these:

Realtree Advantage Max-1

King's Desert Shadow (shirt and pants)

Cabela's Open Country (now discontinued but still available)

Cabela's Zonez Western (new pattern)

Idaho1991.jpg

My personal favorite camo for mule deer hunting....

scan0006.jpg

This pattern is also effective....

scan0007.jpg

I've had good luck with this one too...

For what your hunting like said above it really doesn't matter though if you want to look into camo more you need to identify a few more variables. Namely if you are hunting speed goats, yotes, mules and what time of year are you hunting Obviously fall is the primary so most things are brown and the sage is very dull this time of year Multi Cam works very well. Once there is a little snow on the ground but still large patches of clear ground MC Desert Digis work well. As for spring time when everything is a brighter green that kings desert as posted above is the best I've seen.

Unless bow hunting, I have used about anything handy in WY. Staying warm is priority 1. I have used the Sendero Man camo approach more than once. Shot a huge antelope once in blue jeans and a blast white Ocean Pacific t-shirt with a Wal-mart hunter orange vest on top. Whatever.

If you want to get close and personal, I highly recommend Sitka Gear's line.

I've gotten away with mostly multicams and scent blocker thermals, they seem to work pretty well most parts of the year. In the warmer months I'll still wear the thermal top to keep from getting sun burned and even with it being gray it doesn't really detract from the camo much if any. Most of my hunting is done just south of you OP, around Beauford, Vidavoo (sp?), or up north around Chugwater and Guernsey.

I've been known to rock a little Realtree Max-1 in the early season. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

1zyx8oi.jpg

Kryptek stuff looks good to imho.

zxtcp1.jpg

With that being said, we've had hunters do really well in Khaki!

rqxagn.jpg

The dark mossy oak on top of the dry yellows and browns of the late season sticks out the most to me, but hey, what do I know, worked here....

2cf74ox.jpg

I like Kings Camo Desert Shadow a lot.....mainly because it is comfortable.
In the mountains

And in the in the sage.

Prairie Ghost and a green t-shirt works well also.

I don't usually get to serious about camoing up unless I am bow hunting.

I have found the backpack straps that hook onto your bino's are more important than camo when rifle hunting, unless you are trying to get in really close and shoot the animal with an as issued 1903 Springfield....

Last edited:
Myself and most of the successful bow hunters I know use Predator Fall Brown/Gray or ASAT. I don't like camo that tries to make you look like a tree or bush. Past about 40yds., most of them turn into a dark blob. Predator and ASAT work to break up your outline and doesn't blob out. The stuff looks terrible on a hanger in a store but is the absolute best in the field.

I wear M2D camo these days. WallysWorld carries that line up in ID/WA stores every year, or online @ M2D site..
All the sagebrush outfits work good to blend in & available at most stores.
Ive also hunted in my red plaid coat/shirt & blue jeans.

I wear green and dark brown carhartts. When its snowy I have a large home made canvas poncho I throw on over my clothes. Its a tan canvas with white krylon sprayed on it. I keep my hunting clothes in a big bad with sage branches and very dry prairie pies in it. Makes them smell like my environment.

Idaho1991.jpg

My personal favorite camo for mule deer hunting....

scan0006.jpg

This pattern is also effective....

scan0007.jpg

I've had good luck with this one too...

This man obviously knows his shit. I have nowhere near this level of experience but in my opinion Mr. Sinclair is spot on. Camo is very overrated. I do have some Sitka Open country and when I wear it my dog freaks out though.

Love your paint job on your gun... That thing is sweet...
AZ has some similar types of terrain as Wyoming, and here are a few of my favorite camo patterns for grasslands/desert/scrub types habitats. Personally, I really like the lighter patterns. Most of the darker patterns blob up at distance.

My 11 year old daughter modeling most of these:

Realtree Advantage Max-1

King's Desert Shadow (shirt and pants)

Cabela's Open Country (now discontinued but still available)

Cabela's Zonez Western (new pattern)