• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes XTR Pro vs Gen 3 Razor vs Steiner T6XI

C G

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2022
Las Vegas
Thanks in advance for everyones insight to get me down to the following three scopes. Assuming similar ball park price points does one stand out better at punching above its class?

Thanks in advance for everyones insight to get me down to the following three scopes. Assuming similar ball park price points does one stand out better at punching above its class?
I've compared all three. I'm standing here in my buddies gunshop as I'm typing this looking at the Steiner and the Burris. He has both on the shelf.

I wouldn't want my life hanging on the difference in quality between the three.

Reactions: carbonbased
I own a Burris..fan of the Burris..if you can get a cert for the G3.. Get the G3 in my opinion..If I had to pay full price for both the Burris would win..

Reactions: Birddog6424
The Razor Gen 3 is an amazing scope for the money. But that color………. It makes me want to get rid of mine.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
I'm in the same boat as you. The deciding factor for me was the MSR2 reticle available in the Steiner. I encourage you to go over to FinnAccuracy and check it out. Can't comment on glass or turrets yet, since I won't have hands-on until Friday. Another (less crucial) thing the Steiner has over the XTR pro is no flashy red decorations😊

Finally got to play a little with my new toy. First impressions on the Steiner T6xi 5-30 with MSR2 reticle: Love the reticle. After seeing the 27 page pdf on FinnAccuracy detailing the reticle, it seems like it will be easy to use. It's not cluttered up like a huge grid covering the bottom half of the view. Easy to get the eyepiece adjusted to easily distinguish the .1 mil graduations. Reticles are a personal choice, though, so YMMV. The turrets seemed pretty good, 12 mils per revolution. I was curious about how the "never lost" feature worked. Hard for me to describe, but the outer part of the turret has windows cut in it, showing the current mil value. As you rotate the turret from your zero value, the numbers show 0 through 11. Just past 11.5 mils of rotation, a mechanism advances the numbers shown to a second set of numbers, 12 through 23 so that when you end up at what was zero on the dial, it now reads 12. Kind of neat, hope it's not prone to break. The clicks are tactile and audible, you can easily count them off without looking. They aren't super stiff, and still have just a tiny bit of mush, but seem to be getting better the more I turn them. Same with all the adjustments: magnification, parallax, and illumination. None of them were gritty or excessively stiff, just new and need to be moved around a bit. Now to the glass. Again, these are first impressions with the scope red neck strapped to a tripod, so don't take it as gospel. It's bright and sunny today, so I looked at several white objects with dark backgrounds trying to induce as much chromatic aberration, specifically purple fringing, as I could. It simply wasn't there that I could tell. Picture was great. Sharpness and contrast seemed really good. Parallax was easy to find for various distances. The eyebox varied, which is to be expected. Lower magnification was spectacularly easy to find, but at the highest mag I had to hunt for it. I imagine it will be better once it's mounted on a rifle. Unlike my XTRII, the highest magnification was completely usable, with little bit of light fall off, but nothing like the lost contrast and light with the XTRII.
To sum it up: it seems like a good, solid scope with good quality glass. I hope someone with better testing equipment and abilities can do a real write up with resolution comparisons and tracking tests so I can have my normal feelings of buyer's remorse, but for now I'm happy with the purchase.

Reactions: Flyperk
First impressions on the Steiner T6xi 5-30 with MSR2 reticle: Love the reticle. After seeing the 27 page pdf on FinnAccuracy detailing the reticle, it seems like it will be easy to use. It's not cluttered up like a huge grid covering the bottom half of the view.

I have an M7 on my 300 PRC. I like it quite a bit - adjusting the turrets feels like winding a fine watch! The reticle is indeed a very good one - it would be better if used for closer in work. I use my 300 primarily at 1 mile+ and there is still a little too much clutter for me at longer distances. Additionally, the vertical detents are not dense enough, making holdover problematic when shooting at ranges past where the internal travel of the scope allows. For this rifle/load, that's about 2100 yards, depending on conditions. My longest shot is 2406 yards, I was lobbing in shells and making minute adjustments with the holdover at roughly 13 mil was tough. Your mind has to work a lot harder on each shot. I would prefer to spend my bandwidth judging wind, ensuring consistency, etc.

I've looked through the Vortex Gen III and it is really nice, but, while I love EBR-x reticles for closer work, I would not use them for ELR/ULR. I have/have had several Vortex scopes with EBR-x reticles and like them. If you're never going to shoot at longer ranges, then this is a great scope to get. If you ever intend to shoot out there a fair amount, then the clutter starts to come into play.

Same thing goes for the XTR Pro. I was looking at these when they came out, but there was at the time no clean reticle option. I'm not sure if that's changed.

I am quite happy with the reticle in my March Genesis:

1667064157033.png

Very uncluttered, and in the unlikely event that I need to holdover (it would only be at crazy stupid 2.5+ mile ranges), it is well suited. Additionally, the center of the reticle is wide open, making dialing for ELR/ULR targeting a lot easier. Holding for wind is really only for target-width adjustments. At .05 mil on the turrets, I dial anything where I have to move off the target as the reticle has no markings close to the center. It is precisely that openness, however, that makes this reticle VERY easy on the eye at extreme range.

If I had to have only one ELR/ULR reticle to cover a wide variety of ranges, it would be the NF Mil-C:

1667064469002.png

I'm considering getting an ATACR for my 300 and putting my Steiner on my upcoming short action build.

Finally got to play a little with my new toy. First impressions on the Steiner T6xi 5-30 with MSR2 reticle: Love the reticle. After seeing the 27 page pdf on FinnAccuracy detailing the reticle, it seems like it will be easy to use. It's not cluttered up like a huge grid covering the bottom half of the view. Easy to get the eyepiece adjusted to easily distinguish the .1 mil graduations. Reticles are a personal choice, though, so YMMV. The turrets seemed pretty good, 12 mils per revolution. I was curious about how the "never lost" feature worked. Hard for me to describe, but the outer part of the turret has windows cut in it, showing the current mil value. As you rotate the turret from your zero value, the numbers show 0 through 11. Just past 11.5 mils of rotation, a mechanism advances the numbers shown to a second set of numbers, 12 through 23 so that when you end up at what was zero on the dial, it now reads 12. Kind of neat, hope it's not prone to break. The clicks are tactile and audible, you can easily count them off without looking. They aren't super stiff, and still have just a tiny bit of mush, but seem to be getting better the more I turn them. Same with all the adjustments: magnification, parallax, and illumination. None of them were gritty or excessively stiff, just new and need to be moved around a bit. Now to the glass. Again, these are first impressions with the scope red neck strapped to a tripod, so don't take it as gospel. It's bright and sunny today, so I looked at several white objects with dark backgrounds trying to induce as much chromatic aberration, specifically purple fringing, as I could. It simply wasn't there that I could tell. Picture was great. Sharpness and contrast seemed really good. Parallax was easy to find for various distances. The eyebox varied, which is to be expected. Lower magnification was spectacularly easy to find, but at the highest mag I had to hunt for it. I imagine it will be better once it's mounted on a rifle. Unlike my XTRII, the highest magnification was completely usable, with little bit of light fall off, but nothing like the lost contrast and light with the XTRII.
To sum it up: it seems like a good, solid scope with good quality glass. I hope someone with better testing equipment and abilities can do a real write up with resolution comparisons and tracking tests so I can have my normal feelings of buyer's remorse, but for now I'm happy with the purchase.

Thanks for the thorough review!

Reactions: Dough300
Get the mrad reticle razor, it it's a much better reticle and you get wind holds too. It is still clean and simple. With the new dope disks you got your drops right there in the cap facing you.