• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Yankee Hill Phantom 7.62 QD opinions?

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
What seems the be the opinion of this suppressor? Is it good, outstanding, or sucks? How does it compare to an AAC? I just found out a local guy has one for 7.62 ( no idea of price) so I am trying to find out of it is a good one or not.

Re: Yankee Hill Phantom 7.62 QD opinions?

I love mine! I can shoot my .308 bolt gun with out ear protection. A semi-auto is a bit load though. Works great on my .223's too!

Some people don't like the QD flash hider, because it looks "ugly" when there's no suppressor on the rifle, but I don't mind it.

There are other cans out there that are made from Titanium now, which are a lot lighter, but it does cost more.

I have had great success with mine. there have been several threads started with this same theme. You may be able to get quick info by searching those.

Good Luck.

AAC 7.62SD or AAC Cyclone are <span style="font-style: italic">substantially</span> quieter.

I have the thread on model and could not be more pleased!
It is a wonderful device.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC 7.62SD or AAC Cyclone are <span style="font-style: italic">substantially</span> quieter. </div></div>

By what comparison. By "MY" ear and shooting next to several different brands a couple weeks ago.... I couldn't be happier with it.

AAC screwed a lot of people over on the Tattoo thing. they bit off more than they could chew and then renigged on a lot of us. For that reason a lone, Screw them.

Are you saying they didn't give silencers to people who actually got tattoos, or are you bitching that they ended the contest early? If it is the latter, you are a jackass for expecting someone to give away over $250,000 of free product.

The AAC cans are quieter on a B&K 2209 sound meter, which is far more reliable than your ear (or anyone else's). The YHM was near the bottom in silencerresearch.com testing. The AAC Cyclone was near the top.

I'm saying they made a public statement. Realized they screwed up and renigged on the deal. Personally I wouldn't own an AAC suppressor. At least until they can get the exit hole centered in the can. They seem to work better that way.

That is why I said to "my" ear.

Yeah, Silencer research is a totally unbiased website? Gun Rags pick the best weapon, and POTUS isn't after our guns. Your one of the sheeple that believe everything you read on the internet.

If that was true I would have believed you, instead of pointing out that you are a jackass.

You turn to personal attacks and can't state ONE reason other than you read that it was quieter. It may be. Show me instances of YHM failures and I will show you AAC failures 5 times that count. They use the customer as the QC guinea pigs. False advertise and bash other companies.... bad form.

BTW, on the 250,000 of free product.... you and I both know that these suppressors don't run anywhere near what they charge, not even remotely. YHM don't cost that much to build, Surefire, yadda yadda. Same goes with anything else. Being a business they should have set a limit and stuck to it. Not make a blanket statement and figure out they screwed up later. Bad form if anything.

AAC wins all thier filed lawsuits, so I would watch my yap a bit.

The thing I like least about my YHM QD phantom is the lockup ugly flashider, it really takes a lot of torque to mount it and remove it tightly. It shoots well and while I have shot the AAC brands before I have not had the opportunity to shoot them together at the same time.

I have been using it on a 308 bolt action rifle, and on my 11.5" M16 in .223.

The AAC product price raise for 2009 is going to be the best sales boost to YHM sales ever.

haha, good Lawyers can do anything.... good point. Hell, OJ went free, the first time.

Agreed, the flash hider leaves something to be desired in the aesthetics department, but I don't know that we are all here to shoot show rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">give away over $250,000 of free product</div></div>

I don't actually know about the specific circumstances around the end (premature or otherwise) of this particular AAC promotion. I wasn't paying close attention because I personally would never <span style="font-style: italic">permanently</span> turn my body into a marketing platform for any company (I limit my whore-dom to wearing promotional shirts and hats)!

But to say AAC was giving anything away for free is incorrect. It was a marketing campaign. They may have miscalculated the cost of their marketing campaign and made a business decision to end it early, but they sure weren't giving anything away <span style="font-style: italic">for free</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">give away over $250,000 of free product</div></div>

I don't actually know about the specific circumstances around the end (premature or otherwise) of this particular AAC promotion. I wasn't paying close attention because I personally would never <span style="font-style: italic">permanently</span> turn my body into a marketing platform for any company (I limit my whore-dom to wearing promotional shirts and hats)!

But to say AAC was giving anything away for free is incorrect. It was a marketing campaign. They may have miscalculated the cost of their marketing campaign and made a business decision to end it early, but they sure weren't giving anything away <span style="font-style: italic">for free</span>. </div></div>

Well said! Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You turn to personal attacks and can't state ONE reason other than you read that it was quieter. </div></div>
Excuse me? No one asked me to list multiple reasons. I figured the fact that the YHM is over 5dB louder would be reason enough not to buy it. Since you are interested, and I've shot both, here are several reasons:
1) AAC's 7.62 cans meter quieter AND sound quieter in person
2) AAC's 7.62 cans are substantially lighter
3) AAC's QD mount is vastly better, in both flash reduction and aesthetics, if you get a QD can
4) AAC uses 316L instead of 304 stainless
5) If you want to pull double-duty on a 5.56 rifle, the 7.62SD is 4-5dB quieter than the YHM QD
6) The AACs have less first-round pop.

I'm not bashing YHM. In fact, I own a YHM silencer and am happy with it. But AAC's rifle cans are objectively better than YHM's in almost every way. It's not "YHM bashing" to admit that. The only reason I can think of to buy the YHM over the AAC is if you want to shoot .300WM through it, since the Cyclone and 7.62SD are only rated for .308. Then again, AAC will be releasing the new .300SD this year, which will probably be quieter than the YHM on a .300WM too.

I already have an AAC rifle suppressor. It has done everything I have asked of it. No baffle strikes, sounds great, minimal POI shift, and very lightweight even on my 10" SBR. My dealer wants one now, after having shot it next to his other brands of centerfire rifle cans.

I have heard a Phantom next to a Cyclone, and the Phantom sounded quieter with the same gun and ammo. Maybe it was an old Cyclone? In any case, since the cyclone is nearly $400 more on the street, the new ones better be up to 5dB quieter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What seems the be the opinion of this suppressor? Is it good, outstanding, or sucks? How does it compare to an AAC? I just found out a local guy has one for 7.62 ( no idea of price) so I am trying to find out of it is a good one or not. </div></div>

If i were you i would get it, i have 2 QD Phantoms on order and just got in a QD Wraith XL for my buddies SBR, very quiet, everyone has different opinions, i like the YHM brand, right now you cant beat the YHM price and its a + you have a local guy who has one in stock, YHM told me it would be a couple months befor i see mine, and come on, the QD flash suppressors aren't that ugly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and come on, the QD flash suppressors aren't that ugly. </div></div>

Yes. Yes they are.

whistle.gif

I have three of them on various rifles - I just consider them anti-theft insurance...

Seriously, just another poster happy with his Phantom. I run mine on my bolt gun (.308) and several AR's, as well as one of my AK's. Good can at a great price - and very versatile.

And the QD flashhider works well at hiding flash w/o the can. Which is a good thing - because I REFUSE to shoot that ugly bastard in daylight...

Hey guys, not to hijack this thread or anything but i am thinking of getting one primarily for use on my ar-15 but i have a .308 that might like it too. Is there any downfall to using a .308 can on a .223? would using a .223 can provide much more reduction or would it be more worth it to have a can to go on either rifle...

thanks
smile.gif

My understanding is that you can use the .308 can on both .308 and .223 but you can not use the .223 on the .308. Since you own both calibers I would suggest getting the .308 can since you have the option to use on both calibers.

this is what a i just got... the YHM phantom QD for my 308, and the QD mount for the AR-15 so i can just swap my can between guns, a small downfall is the 308 can obviously has a larger dia. hole, and an can for the 223 would be a bit quieter because of the smaller baffle and exit dia. keeping in more gases, BUT for the money whats a db or 2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You turn to personal attacks and can't state ONE reason other than you read that it was quieter. It may be. Show me instances of YHM failures and I will show you AAC failures 5 times that count. They use the customer as the QC guinea pigs. False advertise and bash other companies.... bad form.

BTW, on the 250,000 of free product.... you and I both know that these suppressors don't run anywhere near what they charge, not even remotely. YHM don't cost that much to build, Surefire, yadda yadda. Same goes with anything else. Being a business they should have set a limit and stuck to it. Not make a blanket statement and figure out they screwed up later. Bad form if anything.

agreed.

</div></div>