• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yardsale Score--USMC Rock Island 03!!

xs hedspace

hippie redneck geezer
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2005
Bearsville, NY
At a yardsale in Woodstock, no less. A Rock Island 31xxxx serial 03 reworked for the USMC. Barrel dated 6-41, Sedgely Mfg, has the extra vent hole in left of receiver, serial etched on bolt, stock and bore almost mint. Well worth the $200 the guy was asking........sometimes living in a town with mostly lunatics pays off.

Re: Yardsale Score--USMC Rock Island 03!!

rlee21.gif

Very nice! Congrats! I've wanted a 1903 for years, they are so accurate and there is just so much history to them.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: general_purpose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice! Congrats! I've wanted a 1903 for years, they are so accurate and there is just so much history to them.
</div></div>

I believe the correct is response is more like:

You lucky Bastard, I am consumed with envy at your unbelievable good fortune to find such a treasure, at such a price, you bastard...
grin.gif
mad.gif

Makes me sick, kinda like my buddy who bought a M1 Garand at a yard sale for $150...

Lady that sold it to him said it was her late hubby's, and that she knew it was probably worth more, but he was a "sweet kid"
smirk.gif

I never luck up on these deals.

wow!

I have a buddy who always asks about guns at yard sales . He has come up with some unbelievably good deals over the years .

Nice find !!

I purchased my 1st Springfield 03A3 for less than $15 but sold it a few years later.

My next 03 was a Remington 03(not A3) purchased from a friend for $350 about a dozen years ago.

I snagged another Remington 03 for the same price a couple of years ago.

I then called my friend and asked if he wanted to be reunited with 'his' Springfield and he gave me $350.

This spring i found another 03A3 for $400.

I shoot cast bullets in them.

Just keep looking they are out their!

Haven't taken photos of it yet. A gunsmith friend told me it was a "spare parts special" because no inspectors cartouche on the stock, but a collectors forum guy claims the USMC never put inspectors marks on their stocks. A few blemishes on the parkerizing on the action. Watch the classified section for further developments, most likely---I'm not the collector type. If I can't improve something, and shoot it in matches, I'm frustrated.

Thats right up there with a mint condition FN hi-power my buddy got for $40 because his ATM was closer than mine.
frown.gif

Garands and '03's don't need improving. They just need ammo and respect for what they accomplished.
wink.gif

I am still looking for an '03 that's a "shooter" so I can hang it on my wall and take it to the range on Veteran's day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy who always asks about guns at yard sales . He has come up with some unbelievably good deals over the years .
</div></div>

Great find. I always ask about guns when I stop in at estate sales and garage sales. Sometimes they look at me like I'm crazy, or they say- yes, right here.

You've found a great shooter at a great price, but not a collector piece, so enjoy it for what it is.

RIA stopped production of '03 rifles in June of 1919. Your ser. no. makes it a Model of 1919, but it might be a Model of 1918 if the number is a very low 310,XXX.

The Sedgely barrel and lack of stock cartouches indicate that it could be a USMC re-arsenal job that was probably done as the US was preparing for WWII. The Sedgely barrels were only found on USMC re-arsenaled rifles. A stock without cartouches indicates either that the stock was replaced during the re-arsenal or later in the rifles life. The stocks on all original (as issued) '03 rifles were stamped during assembly and again during the inspection for service no matter which branch of the military received them.

Then again, it could possibly be a parts rifle but you didn't get hurt when you consider what you paid for it.