• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors YHM Resonator R2 or Deadair Nomad

2ndlegend

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2020
Hey, I'm looking at getting my first suppressor. I can only afford one at this time and want to get a multi-use suppressor with the most suppression since it will be vacillating between a 556 SBR and a 28 Nosler. I'm looking hard at the YHM Resonator R2 and the Deadair Nomad-L. I'm looking for opinions from guys in the know, so here I am.

Out of those 2 definitely the nomad L but that’s a long ass can for an SBR, suppression is supposed to be outstanding tho. I’m hoping they come out with a titanium “L” but the gen 2 ultra 9 probably suppresses close to as good as the nomad L. I’d like to see a direct comparison between those two, the 9 is longer but the nomad L is a larger diameter.

I've shot my R2 and Nomad-L on my 11.5" barrel ar15 and could not tell a much of a difference, slight edge to the Nomad-L but when I used them on a bolt action 6.5 creedmoor then the Nomad-L was definitely more quiet. Don't have a meter but this is the opinion of myself and my 2 friends who were shooting with me.
The Nomad-L is longer and heavier so I used the R2 on my 6.5 creedmoor for an elk hunt in October, it was at the weight and length that I don't think I want anything bigger or longer for hunting, shooting from a bench the Nomad-L is nice.

That's great feedback. I'm basically planning on using a suppressor the same way. Do you feel the YHM made your 6.5 hearing safe, even if it wasn't as quiet?

Yeah, I could hear the bullet impact the elk at 90 yards through the forest and my ears weren't ringing weren't ringing after the shot, sounded like a .22lr.
The R2 resides on the 11.5" ar and the Nomad-L on my 12" grendel, have a 6.5 Rex MG7 in jail for my 6.5 creedmoor that will be a little shorter and lighter.

I have a resonator and my cousin has the nomad. And the nomad seemed quieter to both of us. It seems to have a deeper sound, and the resonator has a higher pitch sound.

If you’re wanting something for hunting and range duty why not look at an ultra 7 or 9 since the longer length doesn’t concern you? You’d save a pile of weight.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
If you’re wanting something for hunting and range duty why not look at an ultra 7 or 9 since the longer length doesn’t concern you? You’d save a pile of weight.

I was actually wondering if this suggestion would pop up. I'm really tempted to go that route. However, I really will only be able to afford one suppressor for awhile, and it will need to do double duty getting abused on a 10.5 inch AR.

Yeah, I could hear the bullet impact the elk at 90 yards through the forest and my ears weren't ringing weren't ringing after the shot, sounded like a .22lr.
The R2 resides on the 11.5" ar and the Nomad-L on my 12" grendel, have a 6.5 Rex MG7 in jail for my 6.5 creedmoor that will be a little shorter and lighter.

That's awesome. I'd be curious to hear how your Rex MG7 performs when the alphabet squad releases it.

Another point might be availability. Dead Air seems to have a higher production rate and better availability and are for the most part in stock at at dealers like SS. But that might not matter.

I was actually wondering if this suggestion would pop up. I'm really tempted to go that route. However, I really will only be able to afford one suppressor for awhile, and it will need to do double duty getting abused on a 10.5 inch AR.

The ultras are rated down to an 11.5” barrel but the dominus is good for 10.3” on 5.56, I’d imagine it’s pretty close to the same decibel rating as the new ultra 7 gen 2 since it meters between the gen 1 ultra 7 and 9. You’d save a lot of weight and length with a dominus while still getting great suppression, just something to consider.

The ultras are rated down to an 11.5” barrel but the dominus is good for 10.3” on 5.56, I’d imagine it’s pretty close to the same decibel rating as the new ultra 7 gen 2 since it meters between the gen 1 ultra 7 and 9. You’d save a lot of weight and length with a dominus while still getting great suppression, just something to consider.

Thanks for the input on the dominus, it's the first I have heard of it. I'll be looking into reviews of it

Another point might be availability. Dead Air seems to have a higher production rate and better availability and are for the most part in stock at at dealers like SS. But that might not matter.

I've found both in stock at various locations, so I'm not too concerned.

Bolt guns and SBR's have VASTLY different requirements for what you would want in a suppressor and in many ways are in opposition of each other.

For instance on a bolt gun longer cans with higher backpressure suppress better however on an SBR that is going to be completely negated by the increased port pop and less pleasant to shoot.

My Recommendation: Choose which of these guns need the suppressor more. get that suppressor for now and make do with that one until you can afford the second. i had a very similar situation (6.5 creed bolt gun and 5.56 SBR) i chose a Rugged Micro30 now since the SBR is a defensive rifle and it is more important to me than the 6.5 creed plinker. Eventually i will purchase a Nomad L for the 6.5 Creed.

To be objective, they weigh about the same - the YHM is 16 oz with QD mount, the Nomad is 14 with direct thread. swap to direct thread on YHM and you should lose about 2.2 oz. or swap to mounts for the Nomad and you go up as well. 419 stuff will work with either. The Dead Air definitely is a cooler can than a YHM

The Resonator is pretty quiet. Both on .30 and 5.56. https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/we-tested-27-rifle-suppressors-heres-what-we-found/
R2 is reported to be same can, with threaded body for mounting options. Nomad is not tested here, so certainly not any definitive winners. Just pointing out that I dont think either are a slouch.

I dont think you will be disappointed with either, from a performance perspective, though the volume/shape of the Nomad will change the tone, often perceived as the volume.

Personally, as close as they are - I would buy the one that was in stock or at my preferred dealer, or default to the cheaper option and try to save a few pennies more and squeeze in a second can.

I don’t believe there is a better value out there than the YHM Resonator R2. If you want to hunt with it, take the QD system off and direct thread it. You will have a 6.9 inch, 13 ounce suppressor that will do a very good job of sound suppression for the money. I really like Dead Air suppressors, however, I don’t believe they’re worth an extra $250 to $300.

Thanks for the advice. I actually just bought a rrx silentium with a custom ,308 bore and 10 baffles. It was as well priced as the yym, and some guys I talked to here said it has great sound suppression due to the large volume ( much like deadair). The huge perk for me is the company is out of my hometown, so I was able to deal direct with the owner and if there's ever an issue can take it in without dealing with mail or that nonsense. I'll probably write a review once I get the can, but so far the company has been awesome to deal with.

I have two of the original Resonator cans and have QD mounts for all my rifles and I have been extremely pleased with these cans. I think they are the best bang for the buck in the can market. I hunt with a 300wm and a 6.5cm and both are easily hearing safe with this can. I would say you cant go wrong with either though.

Don't know if this was ever resolved... But If you're looking for a do-all can for you 5.56 SBR and your hunting rifles, the Rex Silentium Mod-X .30 caliber would be a GREAT fit. It's modular, so you can take the front half off the can for an "S" configuration, and then put the extra baffles back on there for an "L" configuration. It's size and weight in both configurations are VERY similar to the DA Nomad-30 (S) and the Nomad-L (L). It's like having 2 cans in 1.

I think this can will be my next purchase in a few weeks once they arrive at my local SOT. I'm still waiting on my stamps for my Nomad-LT, Mask HD, and Rugged Obsidian 45 to come back. Hopefully soon.

I was wondering the same thing about the R2 vs Nomad-L. I see a few mentions of Thunder Beast Ultra's and Pewscience testing showed the Nomad-L was quieter than the Ultra 9. The CGS Hyperion edges out or is on-par with the Nomad-L, but the 3D printed Titanium has me worried that repairs would require a new tax stamp etc... like the Huxwrx stuff.

I'd consider the thread on the back of the suppressor. Any can that doesn't have 1.375x24 on the back is out of the discussion for me, which is why I don't have a tbac can, otherwise I'd definitely have one, as I love my tbac stuff. They make excellent gear but for a can, the mount system is very important to me.

Reactions: metroplex
I was wondering the same thing about the R2 vs Nomad-L. I see a few mentions of Thunder Beast Ultra's and Pewscience testing showed the Nomad-L was quieter than the Ultra 9. The CGS Hyperion edges out or is on-par with the Nomad-L, but the 3D printed Titanium has me worried that repairs would require a new tax stamp etc... like the Huxwrx stuff.

According to CGS, they will repair their DMLS suppressors by cutting off the damaged portion and welding a new partial "print" to your existing serialized ring.

I'd consider the thread on the back of the suppressor. Any can that doesn't have 1.375x24 on the back is out of the discussion for me, which is why I don't have a tbac can, otherwise I'd definitely have one, as I love my tbac stuff. They make excellent gear but for a can, the mount system is very important to me.
They do have that option for the magnus. It wouldn’t surprise me if they added it to the dominus pretty soon…

I’m actually not a huge fan of all the connections, more to work themselves loose. We’ll see I have a sierra 5 coming some day.

They do have that option for the magnus. It wouldn’t surprise me if they added it to the dominus pretty soon…

I’m actually not a huge fan of all the connections, more to work themselves loose. We’ll see I have a sierra 5 coming some day.

Yeah I get that but I like having one mount I can have on every can and then to be able to take the can off easily. The rifles are really long with a can and it's much easier to just pop the can off if you have a mount that rachets. I have the yhm mount and breaks on every rifle and the mount on every can. I have enough cans now to have them dedicated but it's still just really nice to be able to remove them so easy and they go back on and have zero poi change so, it just makes things easier to deal with, especially in a safe full of rifles

With 1.375-24 it'd be easy to run Rearden Atlas with one of their devices. 17-4 nitrided. Super lightweight and short.