• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Definition of a Sniper Rifle

Re: Your Definition of a Sniper Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is a hunting rifle in the hands of someone who doesn't hunt? what is a benchrest rifle in the hands of someone who couldn't hit a barn with it? is a f-class rifle no longer a f-class rifle if the person who owns it has never shot a f-class match? </div></div>

From here on out i wish to be addressed as Lieutenant. I have never served in any of the armed services.

Thats the equivalent of what people are saying when they call there rifle a sniper rifle and have never been a sniper. If it wasn't built for and used by a sniper its not a 'sniper rifle'. The person hasn't earned the right to rightfully call it that. Some view it as disrespect to the people who have earned it like a person calling himself Lieutenant when he has never served or earned the rank. If he dresses in the correct uniform and refers to himself as Lieutenant does that make him one?

</div></div>

i think i see the problem...sniper is one who snipes. not a title so much as a generic description of a person denoting their activity at the moment. like hockey player or golfer.
no one would say a hockey mask wasnt a hockey mask because the person wearing it had never played hockey.
nor would they expect a pro golfer to be offended if a plumber owns a golf bag and calls it such. or maybe he just owns a bag that looks similar to one used by a pro golfer to hold his golf clubs which may or may not have ever hit a golf ball and yet to him it still constitutes a golf bag.

obviously many here get hung up on the title that follows completion of certain military/government training schools but again...snipers in combat, and many of the tools and techniques they employ, predate the title and schools.
i maintain the term sniper rifle is pretty meaningless regardless of what the implement actually is or isnt since rifles inherently have far more than one specific use.

Ok I will give my opinion, not that you asked me for it! So take it for what it is my opinion) The term sniper rifle refers to how the weapon is being used at the time, you can take an old Sears 22lr bolt action or an M40 and they both have there place and time to be used as a sniper rifle. Those of us with Military training have been through the familiarization training with other countries sniper rifles, some I would agree with calling them a Sniper Rifle others I would not.

I own a precision custom rifle. It is capable of better than average accuracy and long range ballistic advantages. I am not a sniper. Does my owning my rifle (which many may refer to as a 'sniper rifle') make me a sniper? Of course not. If I sold my rifle to a veteran sniper with combat experience, does that suddenly make the rifle a 'sniper rifle'? No. Carlos Hathcock and many other combat veterans as far back as the War of Independance used common rifles for sniping. If memory serves, Hathcock employed a common 30-06 hunting rifle to snipe with 96 confirmed kills and a shitload of probables? Does that mean his 30-06 was a sniper rifle? Not in my opinion. The fact of the matter is...there is no such animal as a 'sniper rifle'...unless a small bird is capable of taking long range shots with a 'mini-gun'. That would be a sight!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sniper rifle is a rifle used by a sniper while sniping.</div></div>

Is it? Or...is it a<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-style: italic">sniper's</span></span> rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sniper rifle is a rifle used by a sniper while sniping.</div></div>

Is it? Or...is it a<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-style: italic">sniper's</span></span> rifle? </div></div>

i think you got it. a "sniper's" rifle is the one possessed by a sniper. a "sniper" rifle is one that could be used for the purpose of sniping, i.e, just about any rifle. i don't call my rifles "sniper rifles" but i don't loose sleep because someone on al gore's internet does.

in all honesty, wgaf what someone calls their rifle. if someone wants to put the word "sniper" in the for sale ad for their rifle i'm not going to be butthurt about it. it doesn't affect me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sniper rifle is a rifle used by a sniper while sniping.</div></div>I like this answer.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...a "sniper's" rifle is the one possessed by a sniper. a "sniper" rifle is one that could be used for the purpose of sniping, i.e, just about any rifle.</div></div>And I like this reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In todays world, Sniper, like Tactical is a title given to an object so you can jack up the price of said item. </div></div>

I'd agree with that too. And also politically correct would seem to be the only reason people create whole threads primarily to rag on the concept of a guy trying to identify his possession as a tactical rifle (if that's what this is).

The 5R rifling is a feature that has seen use in the M24. <that's like calling a corvette a race car because the LT1 is used in someone's race car.

Where do we end? Guys build very loose MK12 clones- crappy MK18 wannabe's, DPMS makes a SASS rifle with a YHM rail on it.... I worked with a guy in the Army that called his 700PSS an M24, and swore the 3.5-10x40mm MKIV was an "M3A" (and he was a dick, but I respected his right to be happy with his rifle).

People own these guns and maybe that's all they can afford, and it gives them some satisfaction thinking that they own a SASS rifle. Sometimes it's just best to let people be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is a hunting rifle in the hands of someone who doesn't hunt? what is a benchrest rifle in the hands of someone who couldn't hit a barn with it? is a f-class rifle no longer a f-class rifle if the person who owns it has never shot a f-class match? </div></div>

From here on out i wish to be addressed as Lieutenant. I have never served in any of the armed services.

Thats the equivalent of what people are saying when they call there rifle a sniper rifle and have never been a sniper. If it wasn't built for and used by a sniper its not a 'sniper rifle'. The person hasn't earned the right to rightfully call it that. Some view it as disrespect to the people who have earned it like a person calling himself Lieutenant when he has never served or earned the rank. If he dresses in the correct uniform and refers to himself as Lieutenant does that make him one?

</div></div>

i think i see the problem...sniper is one who snipes. not a title so much as a generic description of a person denoting their activity at the moment. like hockey player or golfer.
no one would say a hockey mask wasnt a hockey mask because the person wearing it had never played hockey.
nor would they expect a pro golfer to be offended if a plumber owns a golf bag and calls it such. or maybe he just owns a bag that looks similar to one used by a pro golfer to hold his golf clubs which may or may not have ever hit a golf ball and yet to him it still constitutes a golf bag.

obviously many here get hung up on the title that follows completion of certain military/government training schools but again...snipers in combat, and many of the tools and techniques they employ, predate the title and schools.
i maintain the term sniper rifle is pretty meaningless regardless of what the implement actually is or isnt since rifles inherently have far more than one specific use. </div></div>

So to a collecter, what is more valluable? Golf clubs that are the same brand as the ones Tiger Woods uses, or clubs used by Tiger Woods in a tournamate? One is the real deal and one is a copy. Still clubs. What has more value a rifle built by the marines that was used by a trained sniper or one built to look excactly like it. One is the real deal, one is a copy. Still rifles. The add mentioned in the begining was a dude trying to pass off, not even an exact copy as the real deal.

I think a Sniper rifle is a rifle used by one in conflict that uses superior marksmanship skills to kill, disrupt and demolalize an enemy or one that has been trained and is employed as a Sniper.

As recent history shows, a Sniper rifle can be anything from a M40A5 to a .303 Lee Enfield with no optics.

I really think the user does define the designation. Just my opinion.

Technically, would't a "sniper rifle" only be that rifle which is used by a "sniper"? That means a .22 could be a sniper rifle if a sniper was using it.

Really all other rifles could be called precision rifles?

I'm analytical about things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like a case of "Political Correctness".

The definition of PC is to prevent someone from getting their feelings hurt, when what they really need to do is STFU and put on some big boy pants.

Why be concerned with what someone else calls their rifle? It's called marketing, to attract a buyer who is looking for a particular type of rifle. </div></div>

Let me Guess, you own a "sniper rifle."

"That's an awesome sniper rifle" said my nephew as he looked at my dpms 308lr. i just laughed and said thanks. i believe that a sniper rifle is in fact a sniper's rifle however i also believe that it is also in the eyes of the beholder. if some one wants to pay a little extra for what he or she views as a sniper rifle than fine. however to many young or inexperienced shooters a sniper rifle can be many things. tactical, precision, or just cool looking. as you learn more and gain a respect for those that are snipers i think your opinion changes to reflect that.

my 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like a case of "Political Correctness".

The definition of PC is to prevent someone from getting their feelings hurt, when what they really need to do is STFU and put on some big boy pants.

Why be concerned with what someone else calls their rifle? It's called marketing, to attract a buyer who is looking for a particular type of rifle. </div></div>

I agree. America needs to resist the urge to latch onto "PC idiology". It is a force for bad things.

If you want examples, look at California gun laws- they are the most "PC".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like a case of "Political Correctness".

I agree. America needs to resist the urge to latch onto "PC idiology". It is a force for bad things.

If you want examples, look at California gun laws- they are the most "PC". </div></div>

This has nothing to do with "PC" from my veiw point. And I dont want to go down the road of gun laws. The whole point was this, What does it take for a rifle to be sold as a sniper rifle.
Try posting a rifle titled "remington 700 5r custom sniper rifle"
in the for sale section here and see what the response is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like a case of "Political Correctness".

If you want examples, look at California gun laws- they are the most "PC". </div></div>

This has nothing to do with "PC" from my veiw point. And I dont want to go down the road of gun laws. The whole point was this, What does it take for a rifle to be sold as a sniper rifle.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Try posting a rifle titled "remington 700 5r custom sniper rifle"
in the for sale section here and see what the response is.</span> </div></div>

people like you will get butthurt?

seriously, why the hell do you give a rat's ass what someone calls THEIR rifle in THEIR for sale ad? how does that affect you? maybe you should be more concerned with your life and what you call your rifles and a bit less about what other people do that doesn't affect you.

This has gotten funny. Let me guess you own "sniper rifles" too.
I dont care what people want to call their rifles, or fantasize about their rifles. It is one thing to say generically sniper rifle in a title, it is another to slap a rifle in a bell and carlson medalist stock and try and sell it as a REAL SNIPER RIFLE! If some one posted that on here they would catch crap. Why?

Sniper Rifle:

When you sneak, covertly, into a Sniper's house, and Rifle through his stuff.

Sniper Rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper Rifle:

When you sneak, covertly, into a Sniper's house, and Rifle through his stuff.

Sniper Rifle. </div></div>

Thats awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has gotten funny. Let me guess you own "sniper rifles" too.
I dont care what people want to call their rifles, or fantasize about their rifles. It is one thing to say generically sniper rifle in a title, it is another to slap a rifle in a bell and carlson medalist stock and try and sell it as a REAL SNIPER RIFLE! If some one posted that on here they would catch crap. Why? </div></div>

well let's go back and look at your original post. to me it sounds like he <span style="font-style: italic">did</span> use "sniper rifle" generically in his title but you still got butthurt enough about it to post in his for sale thread, and then come here whining about it.

i'd like to ask you if you are or were a sniper. if not, and you feel so strongly about the use/misuse of the word, maybe you shouldn't be posting on this site titled: "sniper's hide".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ask because on another forum a guy had listed a "5r custom sniper rifle". So I asked and I quote " Isn't a "sniper rifle" only a "sniper rifle" when it is used by a "sniper" for "snipeing". He said that this rifle was used for competion target shooting. I also said that a "sniper" (which he also hinted he was) using a rifle to shoot targets does not make it a "sniper rifle" either. Its only my opinion of course but I dont think he liked it. I dont think the moderator did either. Maybe its petty but I hate it when dudes sell their rifles and list them as "sniper rifles".
I should add that I said if this is a real "sniper rifle" used for snipeing then it is way under priced and that a collecter would probablly pay 3 0r 4 times what he was asking.
That some how pissed them off.
So what do you think makes a rifle a sniper rifle. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like a case of "Political Correctness".

Let me Guess, you own a "sniper rifle." </div></div>

I have several rifles that would fall under the category but, since I'm not selling any of them, I'm not trying to describe them with generic terms.

IMHO tactical, sniper, precision and custom are all just adjectives to describe certain features or a combination of features the rifle has.

Do you even have a rifle? If so, you should spend more time shooting it.

No he did not use it generically, he went on and on about the design of the bell and carlson medalist stock and the specs of the rifle and his credentials insinuating he was a sniper
that this rifle was a real sniper rifle carried by military snipers. That he used a rifle just like it when he was a sniper blah blah blah.
So if a person is going to list a rifle as such, make those kinds of claims, can a person prove it? He could not. People on here would get grief for posting even a title in the for sale section that said "custom 5r sniper rifle" with out all the other hot air this guy used. You and I both know it. I have seen it. I saw an ad get removed by the o.p. because people gave him crap about his scope. So I will ask again, a different way. What is your denfiniton of a REAL SNIPER RIFLE?,if a person was going to sell it as a REAL SNIPER RIFLE.
Not one you have little wet dreams about when you pretend to be a sniper.

what ever dude...

i'm off to the shop to fit and chamber a couple barrels for sniper rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like a case of "Political Correctness".

Let me Guess, you own a "sniper rifle." </div></div>

I have several rifles that would fall under the category but, since I'm not selling any of them, I'm not trying to describe them with generic terms.

IMHO tactical, sniper, precision and custom are all just adjectives to describe certain features or a combination of features the rifle has.

Do you even have a rifle? If so, you should spend more time shooting it.

</div></div>

I plan to get out shooting more, but for now I am trying to catch up to your post count.

Wonder what the response would be if I advertized a rifle as an "Old Retired Farts Rifle"?

I agree with you Jason but i think the other guys are just trying to defend this guy's right to be a douche.

I did a search on "SnipersHide" in the classifieds and couldn't find any "sniper rifles" for sale...odd.

Re: Your Definition of a Hunting Rifle

would you get offended and respond to my for sale ad if in the title i had "hunting rifle" when i was selling my factory stock 700 adl even though i'm not a hunter, have never hunted and have no plans to hunt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">Your Definition of a Hunting Rifle</span>

I ask because on another forum a guy had listed a "5r custom hunting rifle". So I asked and I quote " Isn't a "hunting rifle" only a "hunting rifle" when it is used by a "hunter" for "hunting". He said that this rifle was used for competion target shooting. I also said that a "hunter" (which he also hinted he was) using a rifle to shoot targets does not make it a "hunting rifle" either. Its only my opinion of course but I dont think he liked it. I dont think the moderator did either. Maybe its petty but I hate it when dudes sell their rifles and list them as "hunting rifles".
I should add that I said if this is a real "hunting rifle" used for hunting then it is way under priced and that a collecter would probablly pay 3 0r 4 times what he was asking.
So what do you think makes a rifle a hunting rifle. </div></div>

yeah, i've probably had too many colorado kool-aids tonight.

What do I call a rifle built for hunting game animals? A hunting Rifle.
What do I call a rifle built for benchrest shooting? A benchrest rifle.
What do I call a rifle built for f class? An f class rifle.
What do I call a rifle built for competions? A competion rifle.
What do I call a rifle for shooting targets? A target rifle.
What do I call a rifle built for the military for shooting humans by a trained sniper? A sniper rifle.
Its not rocket science. It is really simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has gotten funny. Let me guess you own "sniper rifles" too.
I dont care what people want to call their rifles, or fantasize about their rifles. It is one thing to say generically sniper rifle in a title, it is another to slap a rifle in a bell and carlson medalist stock and try and sell it as a REAL SNIPER RIFLE! If some one posted that on here they would catch crap. Why? </div></div>

well let's go back and look at your original post. to me it sounds like he <span style="font-style: italic">did</span> use "sniper rifle" generically in his title but you still got butthurt enough about it to post in his for sale thread, and then come here whining about it.

i'd like to ask you if you are or were a sniper. if not, and you feel so strongly about the use/misuse of the word, maybe you shouldn't be posting on this site titled: "sniper's hide".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ask because on another forum a guy had listed a "5r custom sniper rifle". So I asked and I quote " Isn't a "sniper rifle" only a "sniper rifle" when it is used by a "sniper" for "snipeing". He said that this rifle was used for competion target shooting. I also said that a "sniper" (which he also hinted he was) using a rifle to shoot targets does not make it a "sniper rifle" either. Its only my opinion of course but I dont think he liked it. I dont think the moderator did either. Maybe its petty but I hate it when dudes sell their rifles and list them as "sniper rifles".
I should add that I said if this is a real "sniper rifle" used for snipeing then it is way under priced and that a collecter would probablly pay 3 0r 4 times what he was asking.
So what do you think makes a rifle a sniper rifle. </div></div> </div></div>

No I am not, and I dont play one either.

I'd like to ask you the same question. Are you a sniper or ever been a sniper because you have a few custom rifles? Or because you post here on "Sniper's hide" and have the word "sniper" in your user name? Or is it just a little fantasy you play out every time you go shoot paper or steel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do I call a rifle built for hunting game animals? A hunting Rifle.
What do I call a rifle built for benchrest shooting? A benchrest rifle.
What do I call a rifle built for f class? An f class rifle.
What do I call a rifle built for competions? A competion rifle.
What do I call a rifle for shooting targets? A target rifle.
What do I call a rifle built for the military for shooting humans by a trained sniper? A sniper rifle.
Its not rocket science. It is really simple.
</div></div>

so please explain the difference in design between the "sniper rifle" in the offensive for sale ad and a real sniper rifle, "built for the military for shooting humans by a trained sniper". certainly there is a significant design difference, right? the difference in design isn't rocket science. it's really simple.

the majority of the rifles i build are designed exactly the same as many of the "sniper rifles" in the united states. many of them have the exact same parts. is it your opinion that a hunting rifle can be any rifle regardless if the owner hunts or not but a sniper rifle can only be one used by a sniper?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

No I am not, and I dont play one either.

I'd like to ask you the same question. Are you a sniper or ever been a sniper because you have a few custom rifles? Or because you post here on "Sniper's hide" and have the word "sniper" in your user name? Or is it just a little fantasy you play out every time you go shoot paper or steel?

</div></div>

nope. it's just my fake internet name i use to talk to my fake internet friends. but really, that doesn't matter. i'm not the one butthurt about the word "sniper", you are. you should probably go post on non-sniper named web forums.

Its not my definition. It is the dictionary. So you can try and say its mine all you want. You can try say the rifles you build are sniper rifles all you want. It wont change anything.
How many rifles have you built or own that have been built for the military, chambered for military rounds, and are intended to be used by soldiers on military targets? Namely on people, by snipers?
I am not saying you dont build nice rifles or that you dont do good work. The links you have proove that you do. But BY DEFINITION, from the dictionary, they are not sniper rifles.
Sorry if that bust your bubble.

So that i dont have to explaing the difference to you, go get your dictionary, open it to sniper rifle, put it there by your computer and read it. I suggest that you leave it open to that page so when you forget the definition again, you can quickly refer back to it, and I wont have to keep repeating it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that i dont have to explaing the difference to you, go get your dictionary, open it to sniper rifle, put it there by your computer and read it. I suggest that you leave it open to that page so when you forget the definition again, you can quickly refer back to it, and I wont have to keep repeating it. </div></div>

you mean like this definition from your earlier link:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">precise weapon typically with telescopic capabilities
</div></div>

edit: or maybe this is the definition you choose to use:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1. an extremely powerful rifle developed for the military; capable of destroying light armored vehicles and aircraft more than a mile away
</div></div>

do you seriously believe that is the only definition of a sniper rifle? l capable of destroying light armored vehicles and aircraft from more than a mile away? seriously?

you must have missed these parts.

Noun
1. an extremely powerful rifle <span style="color: #FF0000">developed for the military</span>; capable of destroying light armored vehicles and aircraft more than a mile away
(synonym) precision rifle
(hypernym) rifle
(hyponym) Dragunov
(<span style="color: #FF0000">classification) military, armed forces, armed services, military machine, war machine</span>

In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than other small arms.<span style="color: #FF0000"> A typical sniper rifle is built for optimal levels of accuracy, fitted with a telescopic sight and chambered for a military centerfire cartridge.</span> The term is often used in the media to describe any type of accurized firearm fitted with a telescopic sight that is employed against <span style="color: #FF0000">human targets,</span> although "sniping rifle" or "sniper's rifle" is the technically correct fashion to refer to such a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you must have missed these parts.

Noun
1. an extremely powerful rifle <span style="color: #FF0000">developed for the military</span>; capable of destroying light armored vehicles and aircraft more than a mile away
(hypernym) rifle
(hyponym) Dragunov
(<span style="color: #FF0000">classification) military, armed forces, armed services, military machine, war machine</span>

In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than other small arms.<span style="color: #FF0000"> A typical sniper rifle is built for optimal levels of accuracy, fitted with a telescopic sight and chambered for a military centerfire cartridge.</span> The term is often used in the media to describe any type of accurized firearm fitted with a telescopic sight that is employed against <span style="color: #FF0000">human targets,</span> although "sniping rifle" or "sniper's rifle" is the technically correct fashion to refer to such a rifle. </div></div>

you sure pick and choose what you want to listen to. i can play that game too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a sniper rifle is a rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than other small arms.</div></div>

Again any of your rifles built for the military, to be used on military targets HUMAN or otherwise?

Have you given any of your rifles to the military so that they could deploy them against military targets HUMAN or otherwise. I doubt it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you must have missed these parts.

Noun
(hypernym) rifle
(hyponym) Dragunov

In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than other small arms.<span style="color: #FF0000"> A typical sniper rifle is built for optimal levels of accuracy, fitted with a telescopic sight and chambered for a military centerfire cartridge.</span> The term is often used in the media to describe any type of accurized firearm fitted with a telescopic sight that is employed against <span style="color: #FF0000">human targets,</span> although "sniping rifle" or "sniper's rifle" is the technically correct fashion to refer to such a rifle. </div></div>

you sure pick and choose what you want to listen to. i can play that game too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a sniper rifle is a rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than other small arms.</div></div>

</div></div>

Pick and choose? Are you mental? It is the whole thing that makes up the defeniton of a sniper rifle not just the parts that describe the rifles you own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again any of your rifles built for the military, to be used on military targets HUMAN or otherwise?

Have you given any of your rifles to the military so that they could deploy them against military targets HUMAN or otherwise. I doubt it. </div></div>

you do realize in the definition you choose to listen to, it is the MEDIA that says a rifle used for human targets is a sniper rifle.

first of all, i'm not claiming that my rifles are sniper rifles. i am simply saying that there is no physical difference between them and a sniper rifle. there is no difference in design or function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again any of your rifles built for the military, to be used on military targets HUMAN or otherwise?

Have you given any of your rifles to the military so that they could deploy them against military targets HUMAN or otherwise. I doubt it. </div></div>

you do realize in the definition you choose to listen to, it is the MEDIA that says a rifle used for human targets is a sniper rifle.

first of all, i'm not claiming that my rifles are sniper rifles. i am simply saying that there is no physical difference between them and a sniper rifle. there is no difference in design or function. </div></div>

The definition says:
"The term is <span style="color: #FF0000">often used in the media </span>to describe <span style="color: #FF0000">any type of accurized firearm </span>fitted with a telescopic sight that is employed against human targets, <span style="color: #FF0000">although "sniping rifle" or "sniper's rifle" is the technically correct fashion to refer to such a rifle." </span>

The media often uses it incorrectly.

If your rifles are built to military specs then yes there is no difference in design or function. But there is a HUDGE difference in PURPOSE.
Your rifles are NOT built with the sole purpose of sniping by military targets by personel. Therefore they are not by definition Sniper rifles.

"In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than other small arms."

On what type of targets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">type of accurized firearm fitted with a telescopic sight</div></div>

Take that and consider the greatest sniper (regarding confirmed kills) use a bolt action service rifle with iron sights.

This is silly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">type of accurized firearm fitted with a telescopic sight</div></div>

Take that and consider the greatest sniper (<span style="color: #FF0000">regarding confirmed kills</span>) use a bolt action service rifle with iron sights.

This is silly. </div></div>

Exactly. Confirmed kills

So does that mean that a sniper's rifle is only a sniper rifle when the sniper is actually shooting at a human?

If he is practicing on paper does it then become a target rifle?

Just curious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does that mean that a sniper's rifle is only a sniper rifle when the sniper is actually shooting at a human?</div></div>

Again, this is silly. Here is another example.

I carried a "sniper rifle" (or as we called it a counter sniper rifle) in LE.

I got a call from the patrol LT telling me to respond to a certain area where they were looking for a dog. The dog in question was a stray that had bit a kid. They have been trying to catch this dog for three days. The doctor finely said, if the dog wasn't caught and tested before midnight, the kid would have to go through a series of rabie shots (quite painful).

The LT simply told me to go get the dog. I did. The dog was tested, no rabies and no rabie shot series.

So now tell me, this was a dog, not a human. So is my LE Sniper Rifle no longer a sniper rifle.

If I remember right when I was in sniper school we were taught that sniper targets could also be equipment, as in destroying radios and such. Or in LE, some "snipers' carry pellet guns to take out street lights and such. Wouldn't that also be a sniper rifle??????

Where does the "human only" bit come in.

Again this is silly, but I'll admit, entertaining.

I am getting dizzy from going in circles. I think it is well spelled out what defines a sniper rifle. If you still dont get it I dont know what to say. Why dont you enlighten us as to what the difference is between a custom rifle a guy shoots targets with it, and the precision rifle built for the military and issued to a soilder with the sole purpose of taking out military targets.