• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Definition of a Sniper Rifle

Re: Your Definition of a Sniper Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey thanks man thats a good idea. You do realise alot of people will get "butt hurt". Are you prepared for that? </div></div>

Maybe you missed my sig line.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me to be "butt hurt", I would have to give a shit. </div></div>

For someone who doesn't you sure seem to have alot to say about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me to be "butt hurt", I would have to give a shit. </div></div>

Why didnt i think of that? See now i am "butt hurt."<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"></div></div>

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me to be "butt hurt", I would have to give a shit. </div></div>

</div></div>

Try to keep up Skippy, I have a different agenda.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try to keep up Skippy, I have a different agenda. </div></div>

I don't think he's your type

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what do you think makes a rifle a sniper rifle. </div></div>

I read a story abou an SF guy that used a 22 cal to take down an NVC to the ground so they could capture him.

That's sniping.

My definition: A rifle used to snipe people.

The Kool-aid definnition: One that costs $14,500 and has all the bells and whistles and tacticool stuff.

If the SHTF in America I suspect any rifle that would shoot worht a shit would become a sniper rifle.

We've called AK-47's sniper rifles, have read a few reports where from Vietnam to Afghanistan an enemy was sniping with an AK-47...

Doesn't matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try to keep up Skippy, I have a different agenda. </div></div>

I don't think he's your type </div></div>

I would guarantee he isn't my type but, whatever you need to fantasize about to get you there.

Just don't get butt hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skippy? Ok scooter. </div></div>

Scooter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooter_%28motorcycle%29
A scooter is a motorcycle with step-through frame and a platform for the operator's feet.

Please don't start misusing words. That is frowned upon and some might get butt hurt even.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, who's the dictionaryian around here? know your place! </div></div>

It was a self appointed position for him, I can be one too.

Back to your closet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was a self appointed position for him, I can be one too.
</div></div>

Not if you don't even have a clear understanding of what constitutes a "Siper Rifle"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was a self appointed position for him, I can be one too.
</div></div>

Not if you don't even have a clear understanding of what constitutes a "Siper Rifle" </div></div>

I'm crystal clear on the fact that it really doesn't matter.

The funny thing is. I really dont think it matters either. Just one too many times of seeing a "Sniper Rifle" for sale and wanted to vent a little. I think it is clear the differnce between a sniper rifle and all other rifles. Unfortunately for some that means they dont have a sniper rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The funny thing is. I really dont think it matters either. Just one too many times of seeing a "Sniper Rifle" for sale and wanted to vent a little. I think it is clear the differnce between a sniper rifle and all other rifles. Unfortunately for some that means they dont have a sniper rifle. </div></div>

if there was a clear difference between a sniper rifle and all other rifles, you'd be able to see that difference in a picture or in person by looking at the rifle or even the parts/specs list.

Are saying there is no clear difference between a sniper rifle and all other rifles.
Or are you saying there is no difference between sniper rifles and YOUR rifles therefore yours are sniper rifles too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes </div></div>

Which of your rifles has been used to snipe people or military targets?

And before you go there we are talikng about sniper rifles not returned sniper stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes </div></div>

And before you go there we are talikng about sniper rifles not returned sniper stocks. </div></div>

Actually, I have my Great Great Grandfather's cap and ball musket that he carried during the Civil War but, it doesn't have any optics. Does that count?

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marineweapons/l/blm40.htm

Manufacturer: Specially trained armorers at Quantico, Virginia.
Length: 44 inches (111.76 centimeters)
Barrel length: 24 inches (61 centimeters)
Weight: 14.5 pounds (6.58 kilograms)
Bore diameter: 7.62mm (.308 inches)
Maximum effective range: 1000 yards (914 meters)
Muzzle velocity: 2550 feet (777 meters) per second
Chamber pressure: 50,000 psi
Magazine capacity: 5 rounds
Unit Replacement Cost: $2,105

Features: The M40A1 sniper rifle is based on the Remington model 700. It is a heavy barrel, bolt action, magazine fed 7.62mm rifle that is optimized for accuracy with Match Grade ammunition. The rifle is equipped with a special 10 power Unertl sniper scope. With scope, the rifle weighs approximately 14.5 pounds. It is equipped with a built-in five round magazine. This weapon is hand-made by specially trained and qualified armorers at Quantico, Virginia.
The unique characteristics of the M40A1 Sniper Rifle are: commercial competition-grade heavy barrel, McMillan fiberglass stock and butt pad, modified Winchester Model 70 floorplate and trigger guard, and modified and lightened trigger. In addition, each stock is epoxy bedded for accuracy and all weapons must shoot less than one minute of angle (MOA).

Background: The M40A1 was put into service in the 1970s to meet the need of a long range sniper rifle. Each rifle is hand built by specially trained and qualified personnel at the Marine Corps Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) at Quantico, Virginia.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0317.htm

Job Description: The scout sniper is a marine skilled in field craft and marksmanship who delivers long range, precision fire on selected targets from concealed positions in support of combat operations. They have a secondary mission of gathering information for intelligence purposes. They participate in activities designed to deny the enemy freedom of movement by targeting enemy leaders, crew- served weapons operators, radiomen, observers, messengers, and other key personnel with precision fire. Scout snipers engage vital material targets such as command and control equipment, light armored vehicles, air defense radar, and missile launchers that require precision rifle fire to neutralize. Scout snipers also conduct close reconnaissance and surveillance operations for the infantry battalion in support of the intelligence section.

Any of your rifles 300sniper or radcustoms been built by those guys and used in that capacity?
They have to be more than a look alike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes </div></div>

And before you go there we are talikng about sniper rifles not returned sniper stocks. </div></div>

Actually, I have my Great Great Grandfather's cap and ball musket that he carried during the Civil War but, it doesn't have any optics. Does that count? </div></div>

cool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm crystal clear on the fact that it really doesn't matter. </div></div>

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. It matters little to me in fact at all. But on the subject of what constitutes a Sniper Rifle it matters.

So far the only thing you have been 'crystal clear' on is the fact that you have no idea what constitutes a "Sniper Rifle".

A sniper can pick up any rifle and use it to snipe someone and therefore make it a "Sniper Rifle", however that does not mean that all rifles are Sniper Rifles does it? If you say 'yes' refer to the 4th sentence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any of your rifles 300sniper or radcustoms been built by those guys and used in that capacity?
They have to be more than a look alike. </div></div>

ooooh, now i get it. the m40 series of rifles assembled at quantico are the only real sniper rifles. the aiaw and m24sws are not since they are available to the general public. my bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm crystal clear on the fact that it really doesn't matter. </div></div>

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. It matters little to me in fact at all. But on the subject of what constitutes a Sniper Rifle it matters.

So far the only thing you have been 'crystal clear' on is the fact that you have no idea what constitutes a "Sniper Rifle".

A sniper can pick up any rifle and use it to snipe someone and therefore make it a "Sniper Rifle", however that does not mean that all rifles are Sniper Rifles does it? If you say 'yes' refer to the 4th sentence.

</div></div>

I lost count. Which one is the 4th sentence?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They have to be more than a look alike. </div></div>

ooooh, now i get it. the m40 series of rifles assembled at quantico are the only real sniper rifles. the aiaw and m24sws are not since they are available to the general public. my bad. </div></div>

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0317.htm

Job Description: The scout sniper is a marine skilled in field craft and marksmanship who delivers long range, precision fire on selected targets from concealed positions in support of combat operations. They have a secondary mission of gathering information for intelligence purposes. They participate in activities designed to deny the enemy freedom of movement by targeting enemy leaders, crew- served weapons operators, radiomen, observers, messengers, and other key personnel with precision fire. Scout snipers engage vital material targets such as command and control equipment, light armored vehicles, air defense radar, and missile launchers that require precision rifle fire to neutralize. Scout snipers also conduct close reconnaissance and surveillance operations for the infantry battalion in support of the intelligence section.

They have to be more than a look alike.

So you really dont get it do you? The rifles that look like these m40's dont make them sniper rifles, the other half is that they are used by snipers in the capacity above.
Rifles sold to the general public are rarely used by the general public in this capacity. So in your hands they are not sniper rifles because as you have already established you are not or never have been a sniper. Your are how ever
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rifles sold to the general public are <span style="font-weight: bold">rarely</span> used by the general public in this capacity. So in your hands they are not sniper rifles because as you have already established you are not or never have been a sniper. Your are how ever
crazy.gif
</div></div>

What about in the rare instance that they are, is it once a sniper rifle always a sniper rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they wind up in a police evidence locker. </div></div>

...and then they get sold or traded to a dealer after the case is over and resold to the public.

So, in the event that one makes it's way to the public, is it still a sniper rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Objection. Asked and answered </div></div>

Over ruled! I wasn't asking you.

Back to the closet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
a-hull said:
I think they wind up in a police evidence locker. </div></div>

...and then they get sold or traded to a dealer after the case is over and resold to the public.

So, in the event that one makes it's way to the public, is it still a sniper rifle?

Is there a collectable appeal or market to be the proud owner of a murder weapon?
In your rare scenario of a sniping rifle used in a murder, being sold to the public where the history or story behind it is unknown, a so called rifle may or may not be, no way to prove it. Unless it was documented like the one lee harvey used or the d.c. Sniper guy used. But then only a complete tool would proudly own a rifle that coward used to shoot unarmed people from a hiding place while they pumped gas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
a-hull said:

Is there a collectable appeal or market to be the proud owner of a murder weapon?
In your rare scenario of a sniping rifle used in a murder, being sold to the public where the history or story behind it is unknown, a so called rifle may or may not be, no way to prove it. Unless it was documented like the one lee harvey used or the d.c. Sniper guy used. But then only a complete tool would proudly own a rifle that coward used to shoot unarmed people from a hiding place while they pumped gas.
</div></div>

so now the prereq for a sniper rifle is a higher resale value. gotcha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the DC Snipers rifle a sniper rifle? </div></div>

it was a sniper's rifle used as a sniper rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
a-hull said:

</div></div>

so now the prereq for a sniper rifle is a higher resale value. gotcha. </div></div>

It has nothing to do with resale value. It does have to do with how do you know in what way a said rifle was used in a crime?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the DC Snipers rifle a sniper rifle? </div></div>

it was a sniper's rifle used as a sniper rifle. </div></div>

Exactly and what did he shoot with it? People. He did not hide in the trunk of his car and shoot tiny little groups on paper so he could win a big freakin beer mug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the DC Snipers rifle a sniper rifle? </div></div>

If that isn't a "Sniper Rifle" than what is? Should every rifle be called a "Sniper Rifle"?

Yes or No?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they wind up in a police evidence locker. </div></div>

So, in the event that one makes it's way to the public, is it still a sniper rifle? </div></div>

</div></div>

The person who bought the rifle may not be aware of it's history. Does that change the fact of what it is?

IMHO, being a sniper rifle, real or fake, doesn't affect value. If I can purchase a rifle that was used in a murder, or suicide for that matter, at a significant discount, bet your ass I'll buy it blood stains and all.

It was a snipers rifle, meaning the person in possestion of it at the time it was used was a sniper? He then used it as a sniper rifle? If this is correct it is only more proof your rifles are NOT sniper rifles.
A simple yes or no question you keep not answering.
Have any of your rifles that you currently posses been used in this fashion?
Try to answer it with out beating around the bush. I think you can do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the DC Snipers rifle a sniper rifle? </div></div>

Exactly and what did he shoot with it? People. He did not hide in the trunk of his car and shoot tiny little groups on paper so he could win a big freakin beer mug. </div></div>

The beer mug is cool though.

It almost sounds like you are butt hurt you didn't win one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really? So how much did you pay for your return m40 stock if it doesn't matter? </div></div>

$200 shipped from McMillan. Why?