• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Your Favorite Guitarist and why

Re: Your Favorite Guitarist and why

You can't argue w/ that unless Jeff Beck is introduced.

Led in the head ... Every Day!

I think one of the greatest guitarists ever is James Taylor. He is one of the most melodic and busiest acoustic players.

Electric Guitar - Zakk Wylde, no contest.

Buckethead. He's a little weird, and some of his songs reflect it, but I was in awe when I saw him in person. His fingers look and move like spider legs - wicked skillz. I can't get to youtube from work, but search "Buckethead seige engine live" look for the one with him playing at the bellyup. Or "Soothesayer". If I can remember I will link it later.

There's so many, unless I missed it I haven't noticed the below two on a list yet.

Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen

The best guitarist to me isn't just the guitarist of my favorite bands (Howe, Lifeson, Slash), or who can just makes the fastest riffs without a melody, but who really makes your soul move with the guitar melody alone - so my votes go for Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck,& David Gilmour.

Okay, Buckethead. Tons of great stuff out there, but here's a few:
Seige engine. Watch at about 1:44. This is what I mean about fingers like spider legs!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsjYqm-2PDk&feature=related
Soothsayer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Et6BSDMNLY&feature=related
Buckethead Jordan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-woe3SCAaA&feature=related
A little comilation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3TT0E0uwU&feature=related
And this is him just SHREDDDDDDDDDDDDDDING!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRLmFjn6JFQ&feature=related

John Petrucci

His abilty to play for 3 hours and the next night do it all again with an entirely different set is mind blowing.. Mike Portnoy gotta rank as one of the best drummers of all time too. What can I say I'm a Dream Theater fan!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Petrucci

His abilty to play for 3 hours and the next night do it all again with an entirely different set is mind blowing.. Mike Portnoy gotta rank as one of the best drummers of all time too. What can I say I'm a Dream Theater fan!! </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing. I was kind of surprised that nobody mentioned him earlier. Then again, unless youre into Dream Theater, you'd probably never hear the name. I honestly can't think of a band with 4 more versatile and phenomenally talented musicians than DT.

Gotta go with:
Charlie Christian
Eric Clapton
B.B. King
Jimi
SRV (playing on the iPod right now)
Brian Setzer
Carlos Santana
Wes Montgomery
Roy Buchanan
Not in that order

Danny Gatton
Robben Ford
Duane Allman
Clapton
SRV
Edward Van Halen
Chet Atkins
Cash
Santana
Jeff Beck
Pete Townsend

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atreeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my money it has to be the young Peter Green. For pure, fluid, soul destroying blue notes, then tracks like Jumping at Shadows and Need Your Love are very very hard to beat.

Makes it all the more poignant that the pressure destroyed him in his later years and he is now a shadow of the young British Blues God of the late 60s.

Makes you think what could have been.

Regards

G </div></div>Excellent Choice! The older Fleetwood Mac w/Peter Green is good shit!

Jimi Hendrix because you simply can't beat the best!
laugh.gif

SRV. I grew up on my uncle's during the summer months and anytime we did about anything he would have a good ole album of Stevie in. When ever I hear Testify I think of fishing with that old man. ADT.

Bruce Cockburn: over forty years of seamless but very difficult stuff to play on the guitar - like Buckingham. And Bruce is a shooter, too.

For the Banjo: Bela Fleck; the only guy I've seen play Mozart on one.

Randy Rhoads,saw him warm up one time, hands were a compete blur with perfect notes. Classically trained and continued to do so with instructors even while on tour. A Huge huge talent,....oh what he could have become.

I saw Vince Gill live back in '98. The Clapton of country. Absolutely effortless.

Dimebag Darrell
Synyster Gates
Kirk Hammett
John 5
Slash

Angus Young (AC/DC) the energy and emotion he puts in to his playing is amazing
SRV
John Mayer, when he actually plays something other than what he records, is very good.
George Lynch of Dokken and Lynchmob
BB King
Clapton
Otis Taylor
Satriani
Joe Walsh
The guy from Lynard Skynard, having a brain fart can't remember.
Uncle Ted Nugent, he's a little strange and don't like his hunting show, but he can pick a guitar.
Almost forgot Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
Adrian Smith and Dave Murray of Iron Maiden

No one ever mentions Gary Moore, he is one of my favorites along with most of the others already mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor Wooten; because he makes the electric base a lead/solo instrument. And Bela Fleck; because he's the only one I know who can play Bach on a Banjo.</div></div>

damn you got them first...Adam nitti is the shit as well

I didn't see him so don't forget Michaelangelo Batio

Satriani <-- I have one of his axes'
Via
Hendrix <-- and one of his

I prefer instrumental guitar music. Lyrics just fuck it all up.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In no particular order</span></span>

Mark Morton (*Skip to 1:13 to skip the intro talk)

Mark Knopfler & Eric Clapton

Andy McKee

Naudo

Zach Wylde

Jimi Hendrix

David Gilmour

Paco De Lucia , John McLaughlin , AL DI MEOLA

And the one to rule them all - Mr. Jimi Page. <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r56Ef_tAMaI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r56Ef_tAMaI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
...those are just a few that I admire.

Kerry King, Jeff Hanneman from Slayer
Cavalera brothers from Sepultura
And just to mix it up...those cellists from Apocalyptica

Jack White
Buddy Miller!!!
SRV
Kirk Hammett
Johnny Lang
David Gilmour
Son House
Mark Knopfler
Jim Croce
Rany Rhoads

Guitar Gods include Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Cray and Carlos Santana
When Eric Clapton was asked how it felt to be the greatest guitarist of all times his reply was " You would have to ask Stevie Ray Vaughn how it fells!"

Clapton

Lindsey Buckingham

Both are great, i can listen to them for hours in the reloading room.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Andy McKee
</div></div>

I was just sifting through the thread to see if anyone was going to mention him. I don't think I'd say he was the greatest of all time necessarily but I certainly enjoy his playing. I missed him when he was in town last year, I'm hoping to catch one of his shows before too long.

Bruce Cockburn: Get 'Humans' from 1980, or his 'Speechless' album from a few years ago.

Tim Reynolds: With Dave Matthews, the 'Live at Luther College' acoustic album.

I listen to mostly metal, but one of the most impressive guitars on an album was Marcos Curiel on POD's "Satellite" album.

The guys I like to listen to are Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine. Zakk Wydle. And I like Brad Paisley he is a great guitar player.

1.Hendrix-No explanation neccesary
2.Jimmy Page- Incredible tone,amazing feel,and a visionary to say the least.
3.SRV- Amazing tone and feel, the most soulful player i have ever seen or heard to this day. Plus he played the blues and made everyone listen when everyone else was yanking around playing arppegios from hell with a crappy overprocessed tone.(80's crap..!)
4.Eric Johnson- Technical yet doesn't overplay like most of the other technical players of his generation.
5.Steve Vai- Pushes the limits of what guitar can sound like and he is an amazing technician, he plays things that are close to impossible for most and makes it look effortless. I'm not a big fan of his musical catalog or his tone but the guy can flat out play the guitar.

I could go on for days on this subject but those are my top 5 of the top of my head. 1,2,3 are always the same for me but 4&5 change quite often. Oh and i've been playing guitar for over 25 years now so i'd like to think i have some sort of clue but who knows..lol..

I am a headbanger by heart and most of my favorites have already been mentioned. But when it comes to distinct sounds, I have to throw Brad Paisley in the mix. Counting most talented musicians, I would add Keith Urban also and I am not a country junkie.