• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your favorite OWB leather holster

MJF

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 14, 2005
    N Idaho
    Im looking for a leather OWB holster for my Sig 365 XL. Now that winter is here I'll have a jacket on most of the time to conceal it. I have a De Santis mini belt slide that I thought would be perfect, and it almost is. I'm looking at the Milt Sparks 55BN. What are your favorites?

Reactions: Criver600
    Have one for my Hellcat.

Reactions: MJF
    Go custom leather if you really want the best. I use De Santis and they are fine but have used custom leather goods my whole life ranching. Personally there is a larger gap between factory and custom leather, than factory and custom guns.

Have an OWB and an IWB, along with a spare mag holder. Mr. Jackson is a great guy and fun to talk with. He does everything himself and the quality is top notch

Sweetwater Saddlery in Bailey CO.

He has a webpage.

Top end.
    Almost 100% IWB for me, but his stuff is second to none.
    Mag holders and belts too. (Might not be making belts now, but used to).

Leather with rigid polymer or metal reinforcement in key areas, or leather over kydex, IMHO is the way to go for any leather rig that'll be worn often as a working holster. If it's for BBQs and church then fancy custom is fine.

Im looking for a leather OWB holster for my Sig 365 XL. Now that winter is here I'll have a jacket on most of the time to conceal it. I have a De Santis mini belt slide that I thought would be perfect, and it almost is. I'm looking at the Milt Sparks 55BN. What are your favorites?
    Thats my everyday all day long holster for my 365 XL, Horsehide with Shark trim.

My favorite Leather OWB is Tucker Gunleather HF-1.

but.....

My Favorite holster is the Garrett Industries OWB in kydex with leather lining.

Reactions: MJF and PusherX11
    Go with a custom. Milt Sparks makes excellent, beautiful holsters as does Tucker, 5 Shot, Ritchie, PCS, Del Fatti and a lot of others. Lightning Sports has a Ritchie OWB in stock that fits the 365. I have used them twice before for orders. I have 2 this style and really like the snaps to get the holster off without removing my belt.

E244269B-D9C1-4638-A9BF-ED2B00DDB04B__91515.1579858376.jpg

That has to print like a motherfucker unless you're wearing a sack over you

No so much for me. I have to wear 3x shirts due to upper body size, just not a 3x in the mid section.

Yeah that's not gonna work for most people. But it looks like a well made item.

How stiff are those belt hooks?

This thread is pretty entertaining. It's a little like asking "What's your favorite color?". No shortage of disparate answers ... everything from "Amber" to "Zucchini".

I know the OP was asking for leather but I see a lot non-leather leather responses. Here's mine.

The Alien Gear Holster here is really comfortable and has a low, narrow print profile. Used it for about a year now.

Act
    I know the OP was asking for leather but I see a lot non-leather leather responses. Here's mine.

The Alien Gear Holster here is really comfortable and has a low, narrow print profile. Used it for about a year

Actually, all the replies are about leather or leather over a shell. Had he not asked specifically about leather I'd have replied about kydex. :)

The Alien Gear Holster here is really comfortable and has a low, narrow print profile. Used it for about a year now.
    Missed the "leather" part. I like Alien Gear too ... it's a close second to my favorite (Detroit Holster Metro Premium).

Reactions: Random One and MJF
    Thank you all for the replies! I have the De Santis Mini belt slide. The leather is thin, so the tension retaining the gun increases when I tighten my belt. That does not work for me. I have a couple of custom pancake stye holsters for my 1911s'. Unfortunately the company is no longer in business. The pancake style conceals well for me, pulling the grip to my side. I picked up a Bradec IWB holster after recommendations I found in another thread. I was shocked at how well the wing worked on pulling the grip to your body. Looks like I have some shopping to do!

Does the pull the dot or snap removal belt loops print more than belt slots? They look like they would.

I would vote for TT gunleather or Milt Sparks. Not sure if those were mentioned yet but have had good results with both companies.

Buy a 1911 and get a Milt Sparks 60TK. Best holster I've ever used. Seriously, you can't go wrong with Tony and crew.
    More than honorable mention for Mitch Rosen's stuff. Just be prepared to break it in a lot. His stuff is amazing but always super tight.

Go custom leather if you really want the best. I use De Santis and they are fine but have used custom leather goods my whole life ranching. Personally there is a larger gap between factory and custom leather, than factory and custom guns.
    Absolutely. Jim Murnack with Fist makes the best I've ever seen. I have been getting him to make me holsters for 20 years now. I wear the belt he made me every day as well as the hybrid holster . ( kydex inside bonded to leather outside). BY FAR THE BEST. It's not close to any store bought holster. I have probably 8 or 10 not counting the ones I've given for presents to my dad and father in law. They are the best and so much more comfortable to wear. It's not even that much more money. Crazy to do it any other way imo

Do you want thumb break style retention? An open top speed scabbard? With or without "screw adjustable" friction retention?

On a related topic, part of the gun community that does regular formal training has essentially rejected leather unless it has a polymer/kydex or metal skeleton to stiffen the leather in key areas because leather always softens over time, and has been known to cause NDs/ Negligent Discharges when the soft leather top folds in on itself upon careless reholstering- catching the front of the trigger.

Some top trainers don't allow leather rigs in their classes for the above reason.

Last edited:
    So far the 55BN and the TT Gunleather pancake are my top choices. I may pick up the Mitch Rosen holster from Sig to use in the mean time. I also like the O'Rourke and the Garrett STX 2.0.
    rs=w-800,cg-true.jpeg

new-55bn-big-drop.jpg
    6390b8_f3b10128faf14a918053efa428912c25~mv2.jpg

I wound up ordering the snap removal pancake from TTGunleather along with the matching mag pouch. There are some great holster suggestions here, I'll try some of them any vary my CC guns.
    6390b8_f3b10128faf14a918053efa428912c25~mv2 8.57.56 AM.jpg