• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Million Dollar Rifle and Airports.....

jrservices

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Crossville, TN
How do you guys fly with your rifles? I know they can be checked but can you get Insurance or anything? I would be hinda nervous with turning loose my 7,000 "box" with the baggage guys... Also how would someone travel with say 800 rds of reloaded ammo. I am going to try to attend a class at Rifles Only in Jan and am tring to get my ducks in a row...

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Your Million Dollar Rifle and Airports.....

ship the ammo, im not sure but i dont think that you can fly with over 11 lbs of ammo. And as far as the insurance not sure if they offer that. Im assuming that you are traveling with a pelican case or something of the likes, my best piece of advice is to make the case as non descrite as possible

You should have your own insurance on your firearms. The NRA sponsors a plan with Lockton Risk if your household insurance carrier won't cover it, even with a rider.

You can't fly with that much ammo. Ship it to Rifles Only.

I have insurance through the NRA. Covers them during travel.

As for the ammo, ship it ahead of you as it's way over the airlines limit. Lisa will take good care of it for you.

GMTA, Rob.
laugh.gif

Find out where you will be staying and have the whole thing UPS'ed to yourself at the hotel.

Not a good solution.

You will need the stuff there before you arrive. Are you willing to trust that stuff to a motel staff, when you're not even there? I wouldn't.

Send it to Lisa. The truck pulls up at her house every single day UPS delivers - they do a high volume of stuff.

I always have a bit of a laugh to myself when you see guys with pelican cases at airports covered in Surefire, Aimpoint, KAC stickers... WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE IN THERE?!
laugh.gif

Low level, I'd probably road freight it tracked and get insurance with the courier and a signature when delivered.. make them accountable.

before you ship any of that, i reckon take a good simple photo with something to prove the date if the insurance mob doesnt believe your rifle was worth $13,000 and you had S&B up top with a Can, 400 picatinny rails etc.

my 2c

UPS with about $10K or more of insurance that way if it gets stolen it will be time for an upgrade.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always have a bit of a laugh to myself when you see guys with pelican cases at airports covered in Surefire, Aimpoint, KAC stickers... WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE IN THERE?!</div></div>

I was flying with a green Pelican once. Didn't have any stickers on it or anything, but when it came out in the baggage claim, one of the highschool aged kids standing next to me in the crowd said "whoa! what do you think is in there" His friend answered (sarcastically) "probably a stinger missle". I got a laugh out of that.

Deadly is right, 11 lbs was the limit last time I flew, about a year ago. I forget which airline I was on, but I believe it's the airline that sets the limits on how much you can fly with, not the government. Either way, as has already been covered, 800 rounds is going to need to be shipped.

Actually i understand that the insurance you buy with UPS is worth about as much as the paper its written on. i have heard on more than one occasion that UPS will not cover guns being stolen from within while their being transported by them!! No matter how much insurance you buy. Whats more with you sending them outside the United States postal system, you are no longer in the juristicion (sp) of the postal inspectors, so they won't try to find your stuff. i hope i am wrong on this, as UPS has the finest tracking in the world, and I only USPS when I'm sending anything too expensive.

Don't sweat it. I fly with guns all the time (about 200 days a year on the road with guns). My double rifle costs as much as a really nice new Porsche - I just drop it with the baggage monkeys and hope for the best. I don't hunt with it a lot because I usually am obligated to use a sponsor's gun, but when I do, it always seems to make it. I do have extra insurance on all my guns, though, just in case.

SRT is right on the UPS insurance - they'll do anything to get out of paying that claim. You're better off with a separate policy like those offered by the NRA or Sportsman's Insurance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always have a bit of a laugh to myself when you see guys with pelican cases at airports covered in Surefire, Aimpoint, KAC stickers... WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE IN THERE?!</div></div>

I was flying with a green Pelican once. Didn't have any stickers on it or anything, but when it came out in the baggage claim, one of the highschool aged kids standing next to me in the crowd said "whoa! what do you think is in there" His friend answered (sarcastically) "probably a stinger missle". I got a laugh out of that.

Deadly is right, 11 lbs was the limit last time I flew, about a year ago. I forget which airline I was on, but I believe it's the airline that sets the limits on how much you can fly with, not the government. Either way, as has already been covered, 800 rounds is going to need to be shipped.</div></div>

the last time I traveled by air my stick got there before me....when i went to retrieve it...the chick behind the baggage claim counter asked..."what do ya got in there ....a fuckin BAZOOKA ?"....

and yes i got stickers plastered ALL OVER that case....i want all the baggage monkeys to know whats in there.....less chance of it growing legs.........

How do i travel with my rifle? I just walk up to the counter and yell "i have a gun" real loud so there is no mistaking
smile.gif

seriously, I just ask for TSA and let them know i have a firearm. Simple simple and they are very good to not loose them. They don't travel thru the same channels as regular luggage, so you don't need to worry about someone grabbing it from the luggage pile. My homeowners insurance covers my personal property.

Last year when returning from shot i had a case missing. It had my new premire scope, 2 or 3 AR's in parts, my .308 and a bunch of other stuff. I was a bit nervous until they scanned my ticket and found it just didnt make the airplane. Had it the next day.

It also makes me pretty nervous to think of what happens to all these guns when they get "lost" during shipping...

How about running one of the ACTUAL stinger missile cases
laugh.gif

I suppose it' a double edged sword, its either SO obvious and easy to spot or it's so low key it could be anything and will hopefully be treated as such.

gottah keep it at a 50lb minimum...otherwise it costs more....w/any airline

GregR said:
I fly with guns all the time (about 200 days a year on the road with guns). My double rifle costs as much as a really nice new Porsche - I just drop it with the baggage monkeys and hope for the best. I don't hunt with it a lot because I usually am obligated to use a sponsor's gun, but when I do, it always seems to make it.
GregR said:
Screw you Greg!

..just a little jealousy coming out

If you are shipping ammo, i would just ship everything including my clothes and other gear.

Last year coming back from shot they dinged me 190$ for 2 cases that were 3lbs over weight and one clothes bag. UPS would have been way cheaper..

UPS insurance is a joke. If you insure your 500$ rifle for 10k and pay the insurance you still have to prove its worth and they will only pay you what you can prove its worth. You pretty much better have an original receipt and hold your ground. I don't even try to get reimbursed for lost rings anymore. just not worth the headache..

ups will screw you everytime on insurance claim. My friend flew to a national mountain bike race and shipped his bike ups, and when he got there the bike was all smashed up ended up the frame was crushed. When he went to claim his insurance on his 5,000 dollar mountain bike the lady at ups just laughed ,and (I was there when see said this) said your bike is better written off as a 5.000 dollar lesson on shipping with ups. I thought my buddy was going to bounce her head off the counter. Needless to say dont use ups.

ever heard of small claims court? When you sue them just go down to the courthouse and see who the service company for UPS is. Sue them for max on small claims in your state. They will have to send a regular Tom, Dick, or Harry and can not send a lawyer. Most of the time they will just send the check instead of sending someone in for a day from corporate office. That will cost way more considering they will loose in any court as long as you have pic's. Make sure you don't sue the local office. Give me your freinds name and address and I will give him a hand for a small fee. Can't be nice when someone is trying to screw you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: missed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ups will screw you everytime on insurance claim. My friend flew to a national mountain bike race and shipped his bike ups, and when he got there the bike was all smashed up ended up the frame was crushed. When he went to claim his insurance on his 5,000 dollar mountain bike the lady at ups just laughed ,and (I was there when see said this) said your bike is better written off as a 5.000 dollar lesson on shipping with ups. I thought my buddy was going to bounce her head off the counter. Needless to say dont use ups. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do i travel with my rifle? I just walk up to the counter and yell "i have a gun" real loud so there is no mistaking
smile.gif
</div></div>

Glen!!!! Can I put that in my signature!!!! I love that!!!

I worked with a UPS driver for some extra cash during the Christmas season about 7 years ago. HOLY SHIT those guys treat packages like garbage! At least the driver I went around with did. He was throwing them around in the back of his truck, kicking them, stepping/stomping on them every time he moved around in the back of the truck. Made me NEVER want to ship UPS again!

I feel that if I ever have to ship my rifle, I'll put it in my Hardigg case, then package/box/pad that thing up as best I can or it will be destroyed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always have a bit of a laugh to myself when you see guys with pelican cases at airports covered in Surefire, Aimpoint, KAC stickers... WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE IN THERE?!</div></div>

Deadly is right, 11 lbs was the limit last time I flew, about a year ago. I forget which airline I was on, but I believe it's the airline that sets the limits on how much you can fly with, not the government. Either way, as has already been covered, 800 rounds is going to need to be shipped.</div></div>

the last time I traveled by air my stick got there before me....when i went to retrieve it...the chick behind the baggage claim counter asked..."what do ya got in there ....a fuckin BAZOOKA ?"....

and yes i got stickers plastered ALL OVER that case....i want all the baggage monkeys to know whats in there.....less chance of it growing legs.........</div></div>

yeah,i doubt any of those terds handling the baggage are very bright, but im sure none of them wants the bs that will rain down on them for jacking a firearm at the airport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iyaoyas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
GregR said:
I fly with guns all the time (about 200 days a year on the road with guns). My double rifle costs as much as a really nice new Porsche - I just drop it with the baggage monkeys and hope for the best. I don't hunt with it a lot because I usually am obligated to use a sponsor's gun, but when I do, it always seems to make it.
GregR said:
Screw you Greg!

..just a little jealousy coming out </div></div>

I understand. But my point was that we buy these things to use. Insure the gun and then take it wherever you want to take it. 99.99% of the time it is going to get there. And there's a good chance it will even get there when you do :)

We send over 300 people hunting all over the world every year. I have yet to have a client's gun actually lost. Some get delayed, but they've always made it back home eventually.

What kind of locks do you guys use on the cases? I am thinking about brining my rifle with me in November when I fly to CO.

master lock and once it goes through the TSA xray hand it to the guy and watch him lock it and ask him to tug on it to make sure its locked and take the key obviously

I usually use American 5200 series when I fly. I havent had any issues with TSA and usually my bags get treated a little better when I travel with rifles.

Anyone know where to get a TSA lock that's not a completely worthless piece of shit? Most locks I see you could break open with a spork.

TSA: Traveling with Special ItemsFederal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft. <span style="color: #FF0000">TSA locks are not approved for securing fireamrs</span>

That's the first google result for TSA locks and firearms.

A good master lock or something equally heavy is the right way to go when it comes to a gun case.

Ok that brings up the second stupid question. How many locks do you guys lock up the case with? I have a Storm M3100 (I think) and it has 6 holes for locks. Will 2 do, or get 4 for 2 center and 2 on the ends.

6? Damn. Pelican's only got two, and I never felt the need for more. I guess it's all what you feel safest with. I can't speak for that.

TSA have problems following or even knowing their own regulations. A couple of years ago, traveling with a protective detail through several cities, we put all of the weapons and several hundred rounds of ammunition in a locked pelican case traveling with the CP equipment. Following all of the rules, declaration, forms, secondary security, etc, the case comes through the baggage carrousel with the locks cut off and the obligatory note inside saying that TSA has removed the locks and inspected the case for security purposes. What had happened was their little security sticker had come loose from secondary security and so some dumbass felt the need to inspect our case and then.......send it on unsecured. Luckily we didn't "lose" anything.

Sounds like I need to check on my insurance and just check it at the airport. Where is a good place to buy a pelican case? and what do you guys use for ammo at the range, now I am using flip top 50rnd boxes, but have considered the disposable type 20rd cardboard boxes, what are you guys using, all of my ammo is reloaded...

Thanks,
Richard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veezer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find out where you will be staying and have the whole thing UPS'ed to yourself at the hotel. </div></div>
No FFL? For traveling home this is a nice option.

Flying with rifles is a PITA. No other way to put it.

I place my rifle, hand gun and a small amount of ammo in my Pelican case and lock it with two combination locks (i hate keys, and most keyed locks have readily available masters).

I have a Homeowners Rider that covers all my firearms and accessories. I just call my agent and confirm that those serial numbers are listed (I had to list my 700 while I was standing in the terminal because I forgot to put it on there at the last update).

I have firearms stickers all over my case because only the stupidest people have to wonder what is inside it. Everyone else knows it's a firearm. I even busted out the stencils and painted "Attn: TSA, for Access call XXX-XXX-XXXX" in sloppy armory style so that if they need to open the case they have no excuse for not contacting me. (if they can't get ahold of you they bust the locks and won't load it on the plane). I actually WANT everyone who sees that case go through baggage to know it's a firearm. If you loose your guitar, no one is really going to care. If a high power rifle and ammunition comes up missing in an airport it's going to be a bit of a higher priority. I would think most criminals know this and would rather stick to camera's and jewelry.

Lastly, don't waste your money on cute paint jobs or expensive logo stickers, etc. The baggage monkeys will drop kick and hammer throw your case. It will go through it's own personal hell. I watched my brand new Pelican get heaved across the tarmac at DFW. It's got some pretty scars now, but nothing like the Pelican I was issued with my M40A1. I just rest easy in the knowledge that the rifle is safe inside and the case can take the abuse.

One tip that I gained online. Prior to locking the case up, take a couple photo's of everything in the case, close ups of the serial numbers, etc. Load the pics on a thumb drive and print the pics out and place them in your carry-on. If anything happens to your firearms you have the documentation to present to the local authorities.

I am actually more nervous when I just fly with a handgun than with my rifle. The rifle is a bit harder to sneak out. The "baby" Pelican that I store my handgun in is a lot easier to hide if someone wanted to sneak it out of the airport. (it gets locked in my luggage after inspection).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats more with you sending them outside the United States postal system, you are no longer in the juristicion (sp) of the postal inspectors, so they won't try to find your stuff. i hope i am wrong on this, as UPS has the finest tracking in the world, and I only USPS when I'm sending anything too expensive. </div></div>

Just from my own personal observation, unless you have a politician's mailbox blown up by a bomb or something similar, the postal inspectors will tell you to report it to the local law enforcement agency as "it's not their jurisdiction." Once when someone pried open a mailbox at the post office and stole the mail inside and on two other occasions someone broke into the stamp vending machine, the postal inspectors told us that exact same thing. The FBI seemed a little more interested. On the other hand, when someone blew up a local politicians mailbox at his house during the campaign for mayor, the postal inspectors did send two inspectors.

"he last time I traveled by air my stick got there before me....when i went to retrieve it...the chick behind the baggage claim counter asked..."what do ya got in there ....a fuckin BAZOOKA ?"...."

LOL, I have a big BIOHAZARD sticker on mine because well, it is...sort of.

I travel with mine in a golf club looking case, in a extra soft case wrapped in a blue movers quilt.....people ask "how was the golf" all the time.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It also makes me pretty nervous to think of what happens to all these guns when they get "lost" during shipping...
</div></div>

I had DD Ross Build me a Rifle Many years ago and When It shipped from him in Ohio,It stopped at a hub in Louisville KY. and did not move for 2 days. It ended up being in some dudes truck. He was fired on the spot. UPS hires KNOWN FELONS. I dont like shipping anything anymore. I have been using Fed Ex ground.

I always ship my Stinger missiles in desert tan Storm cases. That way, high school kids think they are rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What lock in perticular would you guys reccomend, I just ordered a pelican 1750 in tan so now I need locks.
was planning on ordering these:
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/TSA-ACCEPTED-KEYED-ALIKE-BRASS-FINISH-P1506C79.aspx
is there any better that you guys would reccomend that will be ok for me to ship my rifle through TSA? </div></div>

I'd recommend anything BUT a TSA approved lock to ship your gun on an airline. You aren't allowed to use those as it allows them to be opened during transit. The idea is to take your firearm directly to security, let them inspect it and then lock it with a lock that leaves your firearm "inaccessible" to the hundreds of TSA personnel while in transit.

Just go buy some padlocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What lock in perticular would you guys reccomend, I just ordered a pelican 1750 in tan so now I need locks.
was planning on ordering these:
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/TSA-ACCEPTED-KEYED-ALIKE-BRASS-FINISH-P1506C79.aspx
is there any better that you guys would reccomend that will be ok for me to ship my rifle through TSA?</div></div>

Do NOT get a TSA approved lock, get a Master Lock (the good ones not the cheapos or some other quality industrial lock). Get one that fits the case and leaves the least amount of shank showing.

Print out the rules that say that you can be present with TSA when they inspect the case and then lock them with your own lock. Keep those rules with you when you travel. I gave my key to one TSA guy once....who was no more than 15 feet away and in plain view...I would never hand the key to someone to inspect in another room, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always ship my Stinger missiles in desert tan Storm cases. That way, high school kids think they are rifles! </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing...

Here's an interesting talk on flying with firearms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc
"Deviant Ollam's talk on flying with firearms. Topics include what types of firearms, domestic vs. international travel, different carriers, and how all this can be done to keep the TSA out of your kit."