• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your opinions on load dev and group results

flounderv2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Ok so heres the deal. I went out yesterday doing load development with my 24" Rem 5R using Varget and the 175 SMK.

Anyway, here are the results of my best groups. All groups where 4 shot groups (yeah I know, not five but with as scarce as reloading components are, I tried conserving a bit but still wanted more then 3 shots). My question to you guys is out of these three loads, which one would you use and why. All of them are good in my opinion but I wanted to get yours. Im sure some of these results could be attributed to the wind (a bit windy yesterday) and my technique which is why Im asking your opinions on what you think is best. Keep in mind that I regularly shoot out to 1K+ so more velocity would be nice due to the fact that I only have 40 MOA usable with my scope. (Bushnelle Elite 4200 Tactical - I also have another scope on order. Ultimately, I need to be able to reach to 1200 yards with whatever load I choose. Thanks in advance.

Cold Bore.. Happy to start the day right
IMG00243.jpg

Group1 - 43.4 Varget .42MOA center to center. (2597-2620 fps)
IMG_6400.jpg

Group2 - 43.6 Varget .45MOA center to center. (2607-2632 fps)
IMG_6396.jpg

Group3 - 44.4 Varget .46MOA center to center. (2665-2700 fps)
IMG_6402.jpg

Obviously I need to work on my reloading to make sure my loads are accurate as possible to keep my velocity spread closer but Im just wondering that based on all the variables, (Wind, Loading error, Shooter error, etc, which group you would pick )

Im not real familiar with what causes vertical or horizontal stringing besides round velocity differentes, shooter error, or wind.

Re: Your opinions on load dev and group results

1200 is a fur piece for a 308. You are doing very well at 100 but you need to go out now to 500 and see if the load holds up, i.e. will it still shoot better than 1 MOA. Good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1200 is a fur piece for a 308. You are doing very well at 100 but you need to go out now to 500 and see if the load holds up, i.e. will it still shoot better than 1 MOA. Good shooting! </div></div>

Fur piece?? Never heard that saying before. The reason I said 1200 is that one of the targets at the range I shoot at sits at 1165 so I rounded up.
smile.gif
(I like to challenge myself and 1200 is doable with a 308).. Ive hit the 1165 a few times and bounced around it a ton but I had to load up some 155 scenars really hot due to lack of elevation adjustment in my scope.

By the way, the target at 1165 is a piece of steel 8" wide X 11 long"

Well 300 is the closest i do load work at unless im doing it for a 100-200 yard gun. What i do is play with charges untill i get the spread down to single digits then play with seating depths until the groups shrink in nice and tight. Its the best way to develop good loads for your long distance shooting.

Flounder, You ever do any testing with the 178 AMax? I was thinking of getting a box to try. Nice groups BTW! When will you have your new scope?

FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flounder, You ever do any testing with the 178 AMax? I was thinking of getting a box to try. Nice groups BTW! When will you have your new scope?

FM </div></div>
Probably another month or so until the new scope arrives.. I havent tried the 178 amax but Jon shoots them through his 10 twist savage and really likes them.

Of the 3 groups you posted, I like the 44.4g due to lack of vertical. I do agree however, that I would shoot again at 300 yards and see if a true winner shows up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....i would have quit after the cold bore and called it good </div></div>

HAHA.. funny thing was that the cold bore was with a 168 Amax loaded at 44.5 Varget. I shot it just to warm the barrel for the 175 loads.
smile.gif
I only have around 100 168amax left but picked up about 650 - 175SMK so I figured it was time to develop a load for them. probably have about 100+ 155 scenars as well.