• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Your Other Hobbies?

What a many faceted group we have here. A fair amount of my work and social activities involves contact with lefties so far left it is absurd. Although I know it ricochets off of an impenetrable force field, I never cease to amuse myself when describing the breadth of diversity of my fellow shooters to such folks. I spent the weekend in NY amongst a group with whom I share the colors of an old school tie. I could not wait to tell the story of how I had met and become friends with one of the finest and well known architects in the Southeast... while enjoying the camaraderie and ambiance of the East Alabama Gun Club. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. It brings some appreciated color to the community.

Last edited:
(in no particular order) Concealed Carry instructor, conduct multiple NRA classes, reloading, gunsmithing, dad, grand dad (we married young! :) ), & coin collecting.

Been a mountainbike rider for about 15 years or so...
Last year I managed to pic up a real beauty, a Brooklyn Machine Works Racelink that I switched some parts on for personal preference.
Granted, it is way more bike than I really need, buy I have wanted one of these for about a decade or so, so when the opportunity knocked, I went for it.

_MG_6920.jpg

Neat videos. I browsed a bunch of those and they look pretty cool. Tomorrow I am going to show my wife the one you made of your daughter, she will really like that one. I have been wanting to do one about my little girl, thinking of using the song "Thats my Daughter in the Water", since we have a pool that she loves to be in.

As for my hobbies, well I used to fly remote control helicopters and airplanes, shoot, race my mustang, restore another mustang, play flight simulator on the computer, play other games on the computer, read, shoot, reload and a few other things. Now I work full-time (I am active duty military), go to school full time, play daddy to two wonderful kids while my wife plays stay at home mom tending to their needs and keeping the house running smooth. I get to go shoot once and while, try for once a month, and reload here and there. I still get to read, but it is mostly text books, and I try and remember how I used to have money to do things anytime I wanted when my wife worked also. Oh-well, I would not give it up.

Collecting expensive hobbies....

Scuba (haven't been in years though)
Flying (can't afford to anymore until I finish grad school)
Shooting (Not NEARLY as much as I want until I finish grad school)
And recently K9 SAR training (because it mostly just costs me time while I finish grad school)
Collecting academic degrees that won't result in getting a job?

When I'm not coaching softball or baseball for my kids, or playing with them in some form or fashion...

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Golf

Neither one I'm particularly good at yet...but slowly progressing

Here are a couple pics I had lying around. I used to Freestyle jet ski, and still ride on occasion. but the Bobsledding, thats just a blast.

Attachments

• 1336072717_l.jpg
    1336072717_l.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20434_487264570203_761960203_11164266_3297387_n.jpg
    20434_487264570203_761960203_11164266_3297387_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 19
  • n660727630_1050761_5129.jpg
    n660727630_1050761_5129.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 24
Hunting, shooting, reloading have always been my main stays, and always will be where the largest part of my recreational heart lies.
But for the last few months, metal detecting has nearly become an obsession. I've always been a bit of a coin aficionado and a history buff, and this hobby mates up with those two interests quite well. Since New Years day I've recovered two dozen silver coins, nearly 150 wheat cents, two silver rings, one 14k gold bracelet, and nearly $25 in modern clad coinage. Several interesting relics and a pickup truck load of junk have also come up. It's really just another form of hunting, but quite enjoyable and relaxing.
My true passion in life at this point is being the best single Dad I can possibly be. My son will turn 11 tomorrow, and playing the role of both parents to him since his pill addicted, shit bag mother split four years ago has been the pleasure of my life. Watching him grow into a fine young man and knowing that I've had a big hand in forming who he's becoming is very rewarding. It's tough sometimes, but I'd trade it for nothing!

When asked, I usually say, "But this is my other hobby" regardless of what I'm doing.

Just the way I think...

Greg

Knifemaking, growing flowers, berries and some veggies, formerly Japanese jujutsu, leatherwork that has recently morphed into holster making when I broke a finger.

Neat videos. I browsed a bunch of those and they look pretty cool. Tomorrow I am going to show my wife the one you made of your daughter, she will really like that one. I have been wanting to do one about my little girl, thinking of using the song "Thats my Daughter in the Water", since we have a pool that she loves to be in.

That's my lil one, have had to fight tooth and nail over the years just for my visitation but finally came a point where custody had to switch so she is with me now.
I love editing them, just a lot of fun, the flying is everything but making movies is JUST as fun so the two go hand in hand!

Those not in the know...

This is just your basic movie, I am thinking of going into business doing Celebration-of-life videos for those that have passed

https://vimeo.com/88550116

1. Exploring the Sisyphean nature of my job while fly fishing
2. Horses
3. travel - If travel can be considered a hobby

Not sure there is room here but, hunting, surfing, water skiing, wakeboarding, snowboarding, snow skiing, working out, soccer, football, reloading, riding quads, archery. .. No wonder my wife is always pissed at me

Before marriage, I did anything and everything that kept me outside; from rock-climbing and surfing to flying and motorcycle racing. Now, because I am still away from home a lot, free time is spent with my wife and kids. Fortunately my girls all like to be outside, motorcycles and shooting are in their future.

Archery, hunting, competitively and for fun, compounds, recurves, and long bows I shoot them all....as well as primitive weapons.

rock hunting,

canning both vegetables and meat,

exploring the desert looking for "stuff",

I use to kayak and fish all the time but since I moved to SW Wyoming I haven't gone....I miss that a lot

Last edited:
I an cut and polish that petrified wood if you need it. I have done it several time it looks amazing polished up

That one stayed up in the hills...I was to far from the truck and didn't have my pack frame.

I brought this slab out that day.

The wife takes all my bigger rocks and puts them in her flower beds.

I collect, repair and restore baseball gloves and mitts. I started doing this when I was coaching my son in little league, it seemed there was always a kid who had a glove that needed work so I bought the tools and a bunch of lace. Once I got into it, I turned more towards pro quality gloves and pro issued gloves. I still fix a lot of gloves for kids, and never charge them. I also give away at least 20 gloves a year to little league kids that don't have their own glove or the one they are using is worn out or a piece of junk.

gloves1_zpsf1a8447a.jpg
gloves2_zps983d19f6.jpg

I love to fly my ....you guessed it. Navion. I also flight instruct, mostly in Cessnas. Also active in Civil Air Patrol....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would love to get my hands on some that size.. you don't find that in Delaware

That one stayed up in the hills...I was to far from the truck and didn't have my pack frame.

I brought this slab out that day.

The wife takes all my bigger rocks and puts them in her flower beds.

With as many expensive hobbies as I've had, this Forum is still the most expensive by far, even compared to:

SCUBA
Golf
Flying (was working on my fixed wing license)
Gracie Jiu Jitsu ( 3 separate MRIs in a month and my wife's refusal to drive me to the hospital anymore finally shut me down)
Photography

I've rekindled the Photography hobby recently, thanks to a fellow Hide member, and I'm hoping it will be something I can continue to improve with as I continue to get older and less willing to beat my body up for "fun".

The big thing I'm really wanting to learn and get involved with is blacksmithing.

Same here despite computers being pretty damn expensive I could build two maybe three amazing rigs with what I have in my guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have to ask (been wondering for awhile) what is the clear (plexiglass?) walls around the drummer for that you have in your picture and have seen many times?

The drum shield is for sound isolation. For the most part, the drums in a live environment are situated directly behind the vocalists, whose microphones then pick up not only the vocalist, but pick up the drums as well. This makes it much harder for the sound engineer to balance the individual instruments and vocalists together. Not only that, but the shield also isolates all those microphones on the drums, so they don't pick up any of the other instruments which may be in close proximity as well. I think at the event in the color picture, there were 10 microphones on the drum set. Isolation and control is a sound engineer's best friend.

Use to be Harley's until my fourth back/neck surgery!! Look at my avatar! Now it is teaching my son the finer arts of my long life hobby!! His money of course!!!!

The drum shield is for sound isolation. For the most part, the drums in a live environment are situated directly behind the vocalists, whose microphones then pick up not only the vocalist, but pick up the drums as well. This makes it much harder for the sound engineer to balance the individual instruments and vocalists together. Not only that, but the shield also isolates all those microphones on the drums, so they don't pick up any of the other instruments which may be in close proximity as well. I think at the event in the color picture, there were 10 microphones on the drum set. Isolation and control is a sound engineer's best friend.

See you learn something new every day, thanks. I always thought it was in case the drummer had one of his drum sticks fly out of his hand, to keep it from going in the crowd. Never saw them until 20ish years ago and figured someone got hurt and sued.

What are you flying in the video? Guessing an ultra light.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Nope, quadracopter with a camera Gimble on it...
The center and most right one are mine..

3Quads.jpg

This is what we were filming when that photo was shot.

OspreyNest.jpg

This is one I did after a friend passed away, I think I will always remember her by this photo now.
SilverdalePier2.jpg

QuilsceneMansion.jpg

Last edited:
Well that is just cool. I'd like to try a quad copter. I have a couple of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft, but have more fun flying a C177RG as a hobby.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

How much Is that quad set up with gimble?? What camera are you using? Battery life?

I miss the track days also, Loved running at VIR, CMP, Road Atlanta and Barber.
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/7080689" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7080689">Ironman @ CMP with US DESMO</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2461988">Dan Frisbee</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Gardening and BBQ.
I'm propagting some obscure figs from cuttings...and will be running the Big Green Egg with a leg of lamb for Easter dinner.

Woodworking, grilling and recently into trail running

5469852128_99b533af01.jpg

Attachments

• 5469852128_99b533af01.jpg
    5469852128_99b533af01.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 16
Motorcycle road racing, photography and civil war relic hunting. Relic hunting in central VA is pretty amazing.

Hunting, fishing and dirt bikes. I have also started hanging out at bars and shooting pool. Does that count as a hobby?

Martial arts both stand-up and Jiu Jitsu. Jiu Jitsu (Gracie/Brazilian) is just the best.
Marksmanship, rifles (!), archery, hunting, keeping my cardio up running my mountain and MA training.getting into bush craft and survival lately. Always learning more about nature. Flora/fauna/geology/seasons.

I used to compete and travel a lot surfing and was sponsored. I still like to get out for a few waves. Game of hoops or baseball? I'm down!

Anything outdoors. Fun is fun.

Last edited: