• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your proudest (and maybe least proud) shooting moments.

ForgeValley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    I'll start:

Going 10 for 10 on the 300 and 500 yard movers at K & M during a course. Had gone maybe 2 for 10 on the first day.

Firing a perfect score on the Bradley qual course at Grafenwoehr way back in the day. M242 25mm chain gun and M240C.

Least proud moment... a ND with a Ruger .357 Magnum after a lifetime of safe firearms handling. That was a humbling day.

Reactions: Edward156
    Proud:

My third PRS match (club match)

I was the only person all day to clean the "long range" stage. This range only went out to 850. and there were 6 targets working their way in closer that got progressively smaller. 2 shots on each from the prone.

it was the first stage I ever cleaned and i was so pumped. then when scores were released I noticed i was the only person to clean it that day.

I strive to get more of those moments.

Least Proud:

hmmm... letting a coworker shoot my hunting rifle (savage .270) and forgot to lock the bipod legs AND didn't pay attention to how close his face was to the scope. HepPulled the trigger and the bipod legs collapsed, gun dropped and recoiled back and smacked him in the face. he got a nice moon-shaped bloody cut on his forehead. I felt really bad because he isn't a gun person and probably made his fear of guns worse.

Proudest:

Earning the Presidents Hundred Tab (Pistol)
    Earning my Distinguished Pistol shot badge
    Earning the German Schutzenschnur badge (Bronze)

Least proud:

had more than a 1 late shots at big matches.

Reactions: ForgeValley
    Proudest:
    • making Master class in NRA prone
    • shooting a 200-20X at nationals
    • shooting the entire Palmyra invitational on a dislocated ankle

Least proud:
    • Accidentally gluing myself to the floor of MITs rifle range

Proudest:

Earning the Presidents Hundred Tab (Pistol)
    Earning my Distinguished Pistol shot badge
    Earning the German Schutzenschnur badge (Bronze)

Least proud:

had more than a 1 late shots at big matches.

I'll let you in on a little secret about your bronze schnur.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, you had zero chance of getting a silver or gold. Why? Because the requirement changes for silver/gold in that you are also required to qualify with a approved machine gun. And there was no approved machine gun there the day you shot, was there? ;)

I'll let you in on a little secret about your bronze schnur.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, you had zero chance of getting a silver or gold. Why? Because the requirement changes for silver/gold in that you are also required to qualify with a approved machine gun. And there was no approved machine gun there the day you shot, was there? ;)

You're right about that! Well, that and the machine gun had it's way with me! I couldn't get the hang of letting the trigger go. I think I was holding on to it for dear life!

Proudest:

Shooting my first match in YEARS, and my first tank trap ever. Cleaned it with time to spare. I also placed 18/66, and it had literally been YEARS since I’d shot a scoped rifle, let alone a match. Not great, but top 20 still felt great, especially with a Three-Oh-Hate and lowly Bushnell LRTSi. That was also my first time at a thousand (OK, OK, 998), and it felt good to connect at that distance for the first time.

Not PR related: the first time I placed in the top 10 (6th out of 70+ shooters) at a 2-gun match. THAT felt awesome!

Least proud:

My first (and only) ND. I was maybe 16 at the time, and a buddy and his father took my father and I shooting. He had a very nice Colt Anaconda .44MAG with a hair trigger in SA. I was pointed down range, but wasn’t on target. I literally placed my finger on the trigger and touched a round off. Woke me up IMMEDIATELY, and I’ve been religious about finger placement and trigger control since. Nobody was in danger in any way, but it was 110% at fault, and that was humbling.

Best:

Finishing the Barrett Armorer's course at the NRA Whittington Center and shooting a 1000 yd 20 inch group at dusk after a long day with my M82-1.

Worst:

Forgetting to put on the hearing protection with the same rifle....now I hear a constant Eeeeeeeee...

Best: with the pressure on, trying to impress my GF with a couple of her friends in tow.... doing my best Jerry Miculek imitation putting 15 rounds from my p226 into a 5-6" group in the middle of the head on a silhouette target 25 yards away just as fast as I could pull the trigger. That was awesome.

Worst: ND from my g19 as I was unloading in the garage. Bullet went through the garage door and into the hood of my wife's ex-husband's car.

Maybe that was also the best at the same time.

Nice 10 point buck I was stalking broke out of the woods at dead run with me right behind him. He was bounding up a very steep grassy hill and I didn't want to shoot him in the ass, so I waited until he got to the top - 267 yards - and drew down on him from a standing position. Shot him in the base of the skull and DRT. Best part is 3 of my buddies coming out of the same woods we were pushing saw the whole thing happen.

I've owned that Remington 788 in .308 with same Bushnell Scope Chief 3-9x40 for 40 years. I'll never part with them!

Showing up for a 600yd (I'm new at this) F-Open and Clean Cold Bore X sighter.
    Some were having tough time getting on PAPER.
    Big deal for me. Big Grin Shhhh.

The worst was showing up for a match with a dry fire device inside an AR carrier.
    Click- Dud?, another round, Click-Dud??, then it hit me Click-Duh.

The headshot I made on a dove from 35 Yds with my red Ryder at 8 years old. Missing a dove on a power line at 35 yds with 12 gauge shotgun. Lol!

Reactions: 308220
    Proudest for me was when I broke 200 yards and scored repeat hits on a steel torso plate with my '58 Remington revolver. Load was 220-grain cast conical with 33 grains of Hodgdon 777, pushing around 950-1000 FPS. There is just pure satisfaction hearing the 'CLANG' ring back to my position.

100-200 yards is routine for me when putting SA revolvers through their paces. When I get another vacation I want to head out to places which allow much longer range, and see how far I can make consistent hits out to.

I consider myself to be lucky that I have not had any ND's..............being always super cautious to the next level when I am handling firearms. But more than a couple of times, I had been distracted at one point or another and seated bullets into cases without charging them with powder first. That seems to happen to everybody at least at some point along the road :ROFLMAO:

Shot a wild turkey out of the sky with a .30-30... with witnesses... that was the best moment...

Worst (most embarrassing) moment was going in a door on my first ever training entry at high-speed low drag school and in transitioning to pistol... fumbling it out of the holster and having it fly through the air on its curly little telephone cord... landing on the floor with a thud... and then coming back at me as the dummy cord recoiled it backwards... While the instructors laughed their asses off and proceeded to smoke me mercilessly. I can still see it... in slow motion... slowly flying out of my hand as I helplessly watched it head for the floor.... Never did that again!

Well, could have been worse. I could have been the guy who put the magazine in his carbine backwards... so hard that it took tools to get out. He got smoked, too.

Cheers,

Sirhr

.45-70 with a peep sight @ 300 yards:
    4.22a.jpg

Also .45-70:
    20170306_182016.jpg

Proudest: Some of the groups I've shot.......when I was really having a good day..............

Least proud: Shooting a hole in mom's kitchen ceiling with a 16 gauge shotgun...........lucky no one was killed..........hit a 2 X 4 rafter.......did not penetrate the roof............
    we were maybe 14, mom was bowling...........
    patched and painted before she got home..............
    mom is 92 now............still doesn't know....

and since she doesn't live there any more, never will............

First time making the end of season top ten shoot-off in my regions 3 gun series. Then first match win.

Two AD's, one in a match, one at home. Plenty of witnesses for both.

Asking a buddy to shoot chimney sweeps at his house for years and him saying no because there was no way I could hit one. Him finally giving in. Using his gun, shot one 1st shot and it landed directly at his feet. Gave the gun back.

Impulse buy of a dpms lr .308 nov 2008.

Reactions: wh20crazy
    Called in 3 coyotes one night, shot all 3 on the run.... it’s on video for proof.... also on video is me completely air mailing the first shot on coyote #1 at 50 yards.... like by 10 ft ? good times

Proudest moment: Not a shot I've taken. It's the numerous people interested (or already seasoned) in the sport that I've ever been able to help directly or indirectly. Not the tacticool fucks that are just wanting their 5 minutes of fame on Instagram either. Although a 5 out of 5 run a few years back on a 4-inch plate at 1K yards with a variable 7 - 15 MPH variable wind was kind of sweet. About 30 spectators, and I had $100 on myself making at least 2 out of 5.

Least proud: I've done some pretty stupid stuff. Worst was my early teens. My brother and I used to have shotgun fights at about 100 yards. Thick clothing, closed-face motorcycle helmets... birdshot. You know where this is going. Pretty stupid. We were good about checking the shells to make sure they were strictly number 7 or higher. Never had a "critical" experience, although I did catch a few pellets that made it through and stung kinda bad.

I've taken quite a different view on safety since then. One could say without a doubt that I've grown up since then; mentally and physically.

Never had an incident that wasn't intentional ;)

Now that is funny...did you study at MIT
    Nah my dumb ass ain’t that smart...

They were in our conference so we shot there regularly.

Our team had just gotten new shooting coats, jackets, and shoes..... and for some reason my shoes had no grip to them...and my feet kept slipping apart when shooting offhand....my coach told me “ yeah just spray them with some spray adhesive”

So I hit them with 3-4 coats of spray glue...and it worked great... shot 40 mins straight and didn’t slip at all......In fact it worked too good....I didn’t realize that the adhesive was contact activated.

Well shit..... I was good and stuck.

So I’m trying to free myself without alerting the match director...... well I eventually freed myself..... but I took the floor with me, the glue had bonded perminantly to the epoxy coat on the floor, and I ended up peeling 2 conspicuously foot shaped sections of flooring.

...good times.

Nah my dumb ass ain’t that smart...

They were in our conference so we shot there regularly.

Our team had just gotten new shooting coats, jackets, and shoes..... and for some reason my shoes had no grip to them...and my feet kept slipping apart when shooting offhand....my coach told me “ yeah just spray them with some spray adhesive”

So I hit them with 3-4 coats of spray glue...and it worked great... shot 40 mins straight and didn’t slip at all......In fact it worked too good....I didn’t realize that the adhesive was contact activated.

Well shit..... I was good and stuck.

So I’m trying to free myself without alerting the match director...... well I eventually freed myself..... but I took the floor with me, the glue had bonded perminantly to the epoxy coat on the floor, and I ended up peeling 2 conspicuously foot shaped sections of flooring.

...good times.

Holy crap...that has to be the winner.

What years did you shoot and what conference were you in

Proudest moment....as a lowly E3 doing rifle quals having the Gunny ripping the ass of everyone on the line (as only Marine GySgts can do) til he got to me. All he said was, "Ok" and moved on the next guy.

Reactions: deersniper
    Earning that patch in my avatar when I was 11. My father had died and my mother sent me to the local NRA youth program to keep me out of trouble. By the time those old guys helped me earn that first patch I was hooked for life.

Holy crap...that has to be the winner.

What years did you shoot and what conference were you in
    2010 (?) - 2012 in the Mid-Atlantic Conference.

Proudest. Growing up we always had a big clay pigeon shoot every summer at my grand parents. Myself, brother, 2 cousins, uncles and a couple others would participate. I was the youngest, smallest and "least experienced", so I typically got the first shot. I dusted the first 9 clays on the first shot. I was sent to the back of the line. I was probably 7 years old. Shooting a H&R single shot 20 gauge. I still have it.

Honorable mention. 1 shot, 415yd impact on a steel man head/torso free hand with a 308. Could do it again. But my dad said i couldnt, so i picked up my rifle and said..."watch this." Felt damn good.

Least proud. Sitting at the bench joking about how shitty my Savage was after shooting numerous .2-.3 groups. Loaded the mag, put it in, closed the bolt and the mag fell out. Simply didnt push the mag in far enough to secure the "clip". But it was funny considering all the sarcastic bashing I was doing on my shit Savage.

Couple "Damn Good Shot!" stories. My uncles 15yd headshot (all that was exposed) on a water snake with a Ruger 44 mag. My dads 22LR, 110yd neck shot on a rabbit, free hand!

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    2010 (?) - 2012 in the Mid-Atlantic Conference.

Back in the day (early 80s), I tried out for the varsity team but back then I was more into shooting only to improve my hunting so I didn't make it. I wouldn't have had the time or the expensive rifle either so it was OK. The varsity guys were pretty good. The coach was awesome. I was always allowed to practice with them as a kind of alternate because I was close when given one of their rifles to use.

I still am laughing about the floor story

I had just purchased the Supermatch in my avatar and got some zeroes and went to an ORPA NRA Regional match at Camp Perry. Of course everyone was, and still is shooting AR's of some sort and look at me pulling out this dinosaur. Not so complimentary comments,,,"does it hold the 10 ring at 6?" "What museum did that come from...?" And so on.... I go prep for offhand at 200 and when the line goes hot I put the first round in the X! Nice pinwheel. Didn't hear jack shit the rest of the day except that "you should get 10 more points for shooting a man's rifle!" "Wow! That stock is beautiful..."

ORPA EIC match at Camp Perry 2013 Bronze Medal- Started raining real heavy and the 2 guys who were supposed to pull pit duty for me packed up their gear and split when we moved to 600. Director scrambled to find a puller so things are held up in a nice heavy rain. Last 10 rds at 6 were 99-4X which sealed the deal on the Bronze. Missed the Silver by 1 point.
    National Matches Camp Perry NTI 2013 Silver Medal
    Rumbold match at Camp Perry 2013. Our 4 man team took 1st in our division.
    NRA Regional at Washtenaw. 1st place Expert Class. 2015

Kill Zone 67-those service pistol awards are no joke! Well done! And I'm with you on a few late shots out the top! (Insert sad faced emoji...)

Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

I had just purchased the Supermatch in my avatar and got some zeroes and went to an ORPA NRA Regional match at Camp Perry. Of course everyone was, and still is shooting AR's of some sort and look at me pulling out this dinosaur. Not so complimentary comments,,,"does it hold the 10 ring at 6?" "What museum did that come from...?" And so on.... I go prep for offhand at 200 and when the line goes hot I put the first round in the X! Nice pinwheel. Didn't hear jack shit the rest of the day except that "you should get 10 more points for shooting a man's rifle!" "Wow! That stock is beautiful..."

ORPA EIC match at Camp Perry 2013 Bronze Medal- Started raining real heavy and the 2 guys who were supposed to pull pit duty for me packed up their gear and split when we moved to 600. Director scrambled to find a puller so things are held up in a nice heavy rain. Last 10 rds at 6 were 99-4X which sealed the deal on the Bronze. Missed the Silver by 1 point.
    National Matches Camp Perry NTI 2013 Silver Medal
    Rumbold match at Camp Perry 2013. Our 4 man team took 1st in our division.
    NRA Regional at Washtenaw. 1st place Expert Class. 2015

Kill Zone 67-those service pistol awards are no joke! Well done! And I'm with you on a few late shots out the top! (Insert sad faced emoji...)

Good luck and good shooting!

Doug
    Thank you, you've got some good ones going on there yourself! The wonderful rain storms at Camp Perry! I've thrown a couple pairs of boots away after Nationals instead of trying to clean the mud off them!

Eric

Hard to pick, but;

Best. Shooting my first blue wing teal with a 20 ga bolt shotgun. 14 years old.

Worst. Pumping a 9mm through the old farmhouse floor. Much older, should have known better.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Best: Earning the Top Gun award as best shooter in my LEO academy class and going on to become a firearms instructor.

Worst: growing up having shot 5 rounds at rabbits more than just a few times...

My best shooting accomplishment was seeing my 11 year old son go one for one on all 27 pieces of steel from 180 - 600 yards with his .223

Worst: In the box at a major USPSA match, loaded and holstered in a go fast holster. RO touched my shoulder since it was so loud from the adjacent berm and i jumped a little and my gun fell out. I didn't lock it in right and got DQ'ed on the first stage without shooting a shot! Found out the holster was not locking properly later but I owned it for using a new holster at a major match.

1980- Shot a perfect score @ MCRD rifle qual.
    1984- home on leave hunting with some freinds when someone yelled Duck,I hit the ground while the Ducks safely flew away.
    Carry on

Reactions: Slash0311
    Changed my mind. Yeah, I was happy with that 300 yard group I posted above, but then I thought about this one: I ended up with my Dad's Pride of Spain 10 gauge side by side. He had hunted deer with it & at this point in my life, I no longer had a place to hunt deer, but am hunting geese. I didn't want to run steel shot through these old barrels, so I found ITX shot. I had his Lee hand loading tools for the 10, so I loaded some & roll crimped them. It didn't pattern as well as my 10, but I wanted to take a bird w/ his gun. I got off work a little early one afternoon, put the canoe on the truck & headed to the river. It was a mighty good feeling to drop that goose w/ shells that I had loaded w/ his tools & shot through his gun.
    20161102_180036.jpg

Proudest - First and only true double on ruffed grouse.
    First few match wins - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA

Least Proud - The countless misses on ruffs before and after my double
    Too many to remember, could write a book on all the dumb and stupid stuff I managed to accomplish shooting matches!

fullsizeoutput_322.jpeg

Reactions: wh20crazy