• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your PVA prefit experience

Lawnboi

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2019
WI
Looking to order a PVA prefit to replace a bartlein at the end of the year on my match gun. Undecided on getting another bartlein and waiting, and shipping and waiting or just ordering a PVA prefit. Looking to hear experience, good, bad, ugly. Specifically likely going with a 6.5cm 7.5twist shouldered for a tikka.

Let me know your experience.

Reactions: 338dude
Can’t go wrong with PVA prefits. I have three now(a Proof, Bartlein and Osprey) and just ordered my 4th another Osprey. The Osprey barrels shoot great. I have a fairly new prefit 6.5 now but when I get to order a new one a 7.5 twist Osprey will be it. You can’t go wrong with Bartlein either as their rep speaks for themselves but to save the wait an Osprey is the easy button. Josh is here on the site as @bohem if you weren’t aware.

My prefit shoots great. Got it in reasonable time from order, screwed it on, Checked chamber, shot a few to zero and break in. It has been shooting in the .3s or better ever since. 500 on the barrel now. Would not hesitate on another.

Can’t go wrong with PVA prefits. I have three now(a Proof, Bartlein and Osprey) and just ordered my 4th another Osprey. The Osprey barrels shoot great. I have a fairly new prefit 6.5 now but when I get to order a new one a 7.5 twist Osprey will be it. You can’t go wrong with Bartlein either as their rep speaks for themselves but to save the wait an Osprey is the easy button. Josh is here on the site as @bohem if you weren’t aware.
I’m aware, have read a bunch and just wanted some updated info.

I’d likely give the osprey a try as I want a faster twist, looking to run the 153.5s or 156 bergers.

Good to hear, figured it’s atleast a tube that would be nice to have on hand. I have not screwed on my own barrel before but want to go down the vise and action wrench road with lead times at most reputable gunsmiths rising exponentially.

Reactions: 338dude and Rob01
I've had no less than 15 barrels of many calibers from PVA. None of them have been less than silly accurate.

20200518_173634.jpg
20220306_102628.jpg
20220304_171401.jpg

Attachments

• 20220506_123824.jpg
    20220506_123824.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 89
Yeah I was only talking prefits but I have had at least 6 other barrels done by Josh where I sent my action in and all hammer. He does great work and once you send an action in you can order prefits in the future as he keeps the action dimensions. He has done that with a Surgeon action I have.

I've got 2 prefits from pva. The first was a 6.5 creed, rock creek button. While the machine work and everything is awesome the barrel kind of shoots like shit, doubt its anything they did though just a less than impressive barrel. The second one is one of their osprey barrels. Finally got some alpha brass ordered so going to get it out this weekend hopefully. Fingers crossed this one shoots better! will let you know how it goes.

• Sad
I have an osprey 6br and osprey 223. The br shoots amazing, the 233 shoots good, I have not really spent time developing a load for the 223. I did a quick work up and got it dub 3/4 and have test to revisit and fine tune. For what I use it for I just haven’t seen the point.

The 6br is amazing. Every bit as good as my beanland chambered barrel that this replaced.

I have two nut prefits that are both hammers. I just got a shouldered rock creek button prefit. The headspace was a little long which was suprising. I havn't shot it yet but I have no doubt it will shoot as good as my other 2.

I've got 2 prefits from pva. The first was a 6.5 creed, rock creek button. While the machine work and everything is awesome the barrel kind of shoots like shit, doubt its anything they did though just a less than impressive barrel. The second one is one of their osprey barrels. Finally got some alpha brass ordered so going to get it out this weekend hopefully. Fingers crossed this one shoots better! will let you know how it goes.
I have the same exact set up, although I bought the action( Origin) through PVA and got it as a barreled action. Anything outside of one hole at zero distance is a bad trigger day.

As far as service, Joe was awsome and kept me up to date everytime I asked. This was a few years ago, it was busy and I got my stuff about a month before the China virus hit, very fortunate on that one!

I'm sending over a PM now so we can take a look at what's up with the Rock blank. While it doesn't sound like a machining question from your description we'll still take a look and see what's up. I have it worked out with Rock that we replace stuff if there's a problem, my work, their work, whatever. If it's the blank that has a problem we settle up behind the scenes so the customer gets the blank quality and the installation work that they expected.

This thread is making me very impatient for my .300NM barrel....

Edit: not a jab, just seeing all of the great results is making me really want to shoot this forthcoming barrel. It'll be a year in September.

Last edited:
Any input on current lead times for tikka t3 prefits right now? I have action in the safe I was thinking about putting a barrel on.

Any input on current lead times for tikka t3 prefits right now? I have action in the safe I was thinking about putting a barrel on.
Depends what you're looking for. Some of them are on the shelf and ship immediately.

Custom orders are in the 4-6w range with the option to go Rush services for faster.

Looking to order a PVA prefit to replace a bartlein at the end of the year on my match gun. Undecided on getting another bartlein and waiting, and shipping and waiting or just ordering a PVA prefit. Looking to hear experience, good, bad, ugly. Specifically likely going with a 6.5cm 7.5twist shouldered for a tikka.

Let me know your experience.

We have M24 26" 6.5 Creed ready to ship

I am still thinking on a 6BR,24" threaded 5/8x24 shouldered pre-fit for Origin. What's the lead time?

How much does the rush order speed up the order?

Machine Work Rush Fee:
Standard Rush (2 weeks, +$100)
Super Rush (1 week, +$200)

• Love
I've had several PVA TL3 prefits and they all hammer. Just got done working a load up on a 25 Creed with 135 Bergers and it's going to be another hammer. All mine have been Rock button barrels.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Lost count…10 at least. A mix of shouldered, prefit, a few Rock Creek, mostly Osprey…6.5, 6BRA, 22BR.

One shoots very good. The rest amazing. Easy bugholes….great SDs and forgiving nodes.

And, if for some odd reason something is not working right, Josh will be sure to sort it out.

ZY

I'm on my second PVA prefit. I had a Rock Creek shouldered prefit for a Tikka in 6.5 CM and another Rock Creek shouldered prefit for a Lone Peak Fuzion in 6BRA. Both shot unbelievably well and can print in the .3s pretty regularly from prone. PVA prefits are good to go.

Attachments

• 6mm_BRA_107_SMK_30-6_Varget.jpg
    6mm_BRA_107_SMK_30-6_Varget.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 149
  • 65_Creedmoor_load_development.jpeg
    65_Creedmoor_load_development.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 2021-09-26_10-40-06_342.jpg
    2021-09-26_10-40-06_342.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 160
I've only had experience with one so far. An osprey tikka prefit. While tuning a load for it I couldn't get it to shoot over a 1/2" group, it shot everything so well it's stupid. Planning on ordering some more soon.

Thanks for the replies, I think I’ll give one a try at the end of the season. Got 4 tikka actions and it would be nice to have a few tubes on standby

Got one coming from their sale. Thanks again for the replies. Hopefully it’s a shooter.
Drank the 6mm koolaid and went with a 6 creed.

Reactions: Rob01
I've purchased about 7 barrels from them. They're all shooters. My timing on the last order must have been during a run or slightly before one started because it took only 3 weeks to receive. I love these guys.

It has been excellent. Those 4 words are my experience, nothing more needs to be said.

I have 2 PVA barrels. Both shoot. 1 came much faster than quoted and one was months behind. Quality so far seems good. I’m around 500 on one barrel and 1000 rounds on the second.

My newest barrel I went with some one else just due to no wanting to wait months.

Glad to hear these are solid shooters! May be a stupid question, but do their barreled actions come standard with a prefit or is it like a factory/smith installed barrel? I don’t know much about the whole shouldered barrel thing but want the option for diy rebarrel when the time comes. Unless they want to start offering Bergara prefits, I think my next purchase may be their Origin barreled action!

Glad to hear these are solid shooters! May be a stupid question, but do their barreled actions come standard with a prefit or is it like a factory/smith installed barrel? I don’t know much about the whole shouldered barrel thing but want the option for diy rebarrel when the time comes. Unless they want to start offering Bergara prefits, I think my next purchase may be their Origin barreled action!
If your smith knows what he’s doing then there should be zero difference between being cut to spec vs with action in hand in the end result.

If he doesn’t know what he is doing then you need to find a smith who can measure and cut to a print instead of shaving a thousandth off and testing the fit with each pass and winging it.

Reactions: lash and Waco Kid

Getting it from PVA you will be fine for using shouldered prefits after receiving the barreled action. There is nothing done to the action that would change it so you couldn't use shouldered prefits ordered in the future.

Reactions: Waco Kid
If your smith knows what he’s doing then there should be zero difference between being cut to spec vs with action in hand in the end result.

If he doesn’t know what he is doing then you need to find a smith who can measure and cut to a print instead of shaving a thousandth off and testing the fit with each pass and winging it.

Well, I don’t have a smith haha. I’m sure there is one somewhere close enough I could use but if the prefits would let me do it in my garage with just hand tools that’s what I’m after!

Getting it from PVA you will be fine for using shouldered prefits after receiving the barreled action. There is nothing done to the action that would change it so you couldn't use shouldered prefits ordered in the future.

That makes sense, after re reading my question, it was kinda stupid haha. Think I was confused by something I read before about factory rifles and changing to prefits or something. I’m new to anything other than off the shelf bolt actions haha

Thanks for the replies guys!

Well, I don’t have a smith haha. I’m sure there is one somewhere close enough I could use but if the prefits would let me do it in my garage with just hand tools that’s what I’m after!

That makes sense, after re reading my question, it was kinda stupid haha. Think I was confused by something I read before about factory rifles and changing to prefits or something. I’m new to anything other than off the shelf bolt actions haha

Thanks for the replies guys!
Many (most) factory rifles ARE NOT consistent enough in their manufacture to allow for a shouldered prefit to be correctly cut without having the action in hand to measure it first. In those situations you can use a barrel nut prefit that allows you to locate the chamber position with a go gauge (essentially a depth gauge for the chamber) and then use the barrel nut (jam nut) in place of the shoulder cut into the barrel to lock it in that positioning and stop it from further screwing in or out.

Most custom actions these days ARE consistent enough to allow a smith to cut a shouldered barrel to a print without having the action in hand that will still have the chamber be properly located for the action.

Last edited:
Had a PVA Barreled Action made - while it did run a bit over on lead time (can happen to anyone - I think it was 2-3 weeks past quoted) it was a hammer. 6mm BR Hawk Hill MTU profile.

Reactions: Waco Kid
They spun up a Hawk Hill in 6 creed for a large shank savage, barrel nut install. Shot tiny little groups. They do outstanding work.

Many (most) factory rifles ARE NOT consistent enough in their manufacture to allow for a shouldered prefit to be correctly cut without having the action in hand to measure it first. In those situations you can use a barrel nut prefit that allows you to locate the chamber position with a go gauge (essentially a depth gauge for the chamber) and then use the barrel nut (jam nut) in place of the shoulder cut into the barrel to lock it in that positioning and stop it from further screwing in or out.

Most custom actions these days ARE consistent enough to allow a smith to cut a shouldered barrel to a print without having the action in hand that will still have the chamber be properly located for the action.

Ohhh, that clears it up! Thanks for the info 👍🏻

I have a few of their barrels. They all shoot great and are priced well. But the lead times posted on their site are not accurate at all, and their communication is almost nonexistent. It is nearly impossible to get them to reply to email.

The last one I ordered was a Tikka T3 prefit that was supposedly in stock. Limited options on length, contour, etc. due to them being made in batches and ready to go. Some options were in stock, others shown as out of stock. The one I ordered showed it was in stock.

The page said:

"we are stocking them on a rolling basis monthly" (I ordered on June 3rd.)

"when they're in stock, they ship immediately." (The option I ordered showed in stock.)

"minimize lead time"

"targeted to ship within 1 week of the order being placed. Initial orders and orders placed during sales may take 3-4 weeks depending on volume."

I got it in twelve weeks and I didn't get the barrel nut I ordered along with it. It took another two weeks to get my barrel nut.

They make great barrels, but so do a lot of shops. Personally, I don't like being misled on lead times and I value good communication. If they said from the beginning, either with the initial quote or within a few weeks of the order when it should have been apparent, that it would be 12 weeks until they could deliver what I ordered, I would have understood and either went with another shop or adjusted my expectations and waited patiently. That's not how it played out.

If you're okay waiting a while longer than expected, they're a good option.

X-Caliber has always delivered my barrels on time or a few weeks early.

Edit: It was a Tikka prefit, not Savage.

Last edited:
I’ve read about lead time issues with quite a few well regarded companies here. Decided to give PVA a shot. Paid a rush fee for 2 weeks and got the shipping notice today after only a week. Excited for it to come in.