• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your wife

Re: Your wife

My wife doesn't mind the gun/optic/etc. purchases as long as I don't deny her of something she wants!...and what she doesn't know, won't hurt her..not to hide stuff but no reason to rub in the purchase of a new one.

The guy who says "sack up" and the sky's the limit,

AND

the guy who bought his wife a GAP .260

are the ends of the spectrum. I wish my wife wanted to be a shooting partner, but she doesn't. Meanwhile, she lets me buy as much as I like because the bills are paid and she gets to stay home with the kids (her choice and mine).

Great wife, and I couldn't have dreamed it would be this good.

I leave the house with an empty gun case and tell her I am going shooting or having it worked on at the 'smiths and come back with a full case
wink.gif

Another poster had a good point.

I don't smoke, go to bars, strip clubs or do drugs. My only expensive habit is shooting, and it's cheaper than the bar/smoking thing.

I just make sure once in awhile instead of buying a cool new toy, I buy her a good piece of jewelry and it's all good. Of course finances are tight right now, so ammo is about all that's getting bought until the AI fund is paid for.

Lot of good points here.

The wife and I communicate well and never question each others purchases. I trust her enough to know that if she is buying something, she has already figured out she wants it, and it won't break us. She trusts that I will do the same. And I too, don't drink, don't smoke, don't spend money at strip clubs (I go, just don't spend money...she does, LOL) so it's all good as far as she's concerned.

Besides, I come home and tell her "hey honey, me and your dad are going to build a plane since his is about done) The rifles are the least of her concerns.

I can buy new toys, no matter what the cost, as long as I buy her something of same or higher value. New car,diamonds, etc.
Needless to say I'm not buying anything new at the moment.
A new scope is in the future, but I have been informed that a new set of platinum rings will be in the future also.

I'm a blessed man. My wife manages the finances. I HATE paying bills. When we first got married, she was in school and I was earning the money. She is very good with money and has a business degree, so it was very hard for her to be out of the loop, not bringing in money. Now she is working, and both of us contribute to the pot.

What has finally worked for us is a fixed allowance. This is part of the budget. We each get $250/month to spend on whatever we like. She doesn't ask questions about what I spend mine on, and neither do I about her expenditures. She tends to save all of her money and rarely spends it. I, on the other hand, always have something firearm related I am saving up for, or need to get. Occasionally I get a bonus from work, or 3 paychecks a month, and we each get a little more if all the bills are paid.

She really has been good for me. Before we were married, I spent a LOT of money on firearms and got into a lot of debt. Now all the debt is paid off (except for my educational loans). I'm getting used to a limited budget and prioritizing my firearm purchases. It is a much more financially sound approach to save up for something before buying it, than to go into debt over it. I really do appreciate what she has brought to the table financially in our family, and we are much better off because of it. It's still sometimes frustrating not to be able to buy that case of ammunition AND the new gun AND the reloading supplies the same month. Patience, young grasshopper.

I love my wife. I manage the finances, we both make excellent salaries, invest, and don't spend needlessly. That being said, she doesn't care what I spend on firearms. I dropped over 10k one weekend on an EDM XM408 and a LWRC REPR and she didn't bat an eye.

We just bought a slighly used '08 4-Runner in which I paid $15k in cash and financed the remainder, she didn't blink an eye at that either since that was going to be her vehicle.

We picked up a Colt 6450 the other day for the family - no issues there either.

In 40 years of marriage my wife, a non shooter, has always supported my gun mania. She has never once objected to any gun purchase including class III's. She even suggested building a safe room + safe to the house to protect the guns. I fell very lucky to have such an understanding wife who has alwats helped when I am indecisive about a purchase.

after reading all these posts, I am impressed by a couple of things: firstly, all the guys who have understanding wives who understand this "habit" of ours. A common theme for most of us in that category is the openness of communication and mutual respect in the marriage relationship. To me, this speaks volumes about the stability, not only of the marriage, but our families and as the family goes, so goes the country. This is an encouraging thing in these difficult times, because the direction the country "seems" to be going as as expressed in the press is different that what I perceive to be the case locally in my community and most likely in your individual situations after reading your comments. Secondly,and then I will stop being Dr. Phil, there is a manliness about firearms. There are too many attempts to feminize our kids, boys obviously, and the masculine nature of responsible ownership and use of firearms is a path to partially remedy that. Just some simpleminded observations from a hick in the sticks.

My wife talks over the big $$ gun purchases with me just to make sure I'm getting a gun that is good enough that I will actually be happy with it.

Just last week she stopped me from buying a rifle because, "yeah, it's a GAP, but you really wanted the one with the A-5 stock".

I love her
smile.gif

i guess im lucky my better half is always trying to talk me into spending extra once. i think she just realizes cheap stuff will cost me more in the long run but you cant beet that kind of support

My wife seems to be more bothered by the monthly expenses of ammo, targets,
ect. and not as funny about the guns. We have tried to strike a balance between my wants and hers and allows me to make one "big" purchase a year. It's tough to abide by these household laws but what are you going to do?

Every gun I buy is only $200 and every accessory I buy is between $25-$50 on the bad-assery of it. So when I brought home my LR-308 she guessed it right that it only costed $200. Then she wonders why I give her flak about a $300 Coach purse.

"Hun look at what I bought for $200 and you spent how much on that purse that doesn't do anything?"

yep lie to her think she is stupid one day it will bite you

i bought my tikka t3 with glass told her exactly how much it was and she was excited to shoot it. one month later she bought a $1,400 Chanel bag all i said was it go's well with the shoes hot stuff.

honesty is absolutely the best policy at one point i was dishonest and it almost cost me big. i married a very smart sexy girl. to assume that your girl is not smart enough to realize every gun you buy is only $200 is stupid. and to be more honest with you if my girl was not smart enough to know that i would would wonder what i was doing with some one like that. i guess i just prefer smart girls

It's all good. I agree with you though, honesty is the only way to go. It really is fun giving her crap though when she comes home with a new item.

My instigator: "You spent $XXX on item A today...why?"

Her reply: "You just spent $3000 on a rifle so I don't want to hear it."

My rebuttal: "Tusche"

Not gonna lie, I'm envious of everyone who has a wife who want to be part of and endorses their hobbies.

I'm still looking. Oh well, 21 and my whole life ahead of me

IMHO the key is to each have discretionary income for each spouse that they are free to do what they want with. My wife found a dress she really loves, and its $1195, so she is saving up her money each month until she can afford it. I do the same with mine until i can get an AR or a Nightforce. Neither party has to feel any guilt for spending money, and the fights are eliminated. Just what we have worked out.

the answer is do what works for you. not 1 thing will work for every one i have been married for 13 years and my wife has never had to work. if she wants to she can. i appreciate the fact that she wants to raise our kids instead of passing them off to a day care. it works for us and makes us happy

i was at a house the other day doing a job i was there for 12 hours. and it amazed me that the owner of the home had a 6 month old baby and did not touch it once while i was there. she had this little Spanish girl in a nurses uniform take care of the kid all day. her and her husband were there all day and carried on like they did not have a kid. i was kind of disgusted by the whole thing.

before we got married i told my wife that she would be in charge of the finances, as i am terrible about spending money to the last nickle. that worked for a while and when i wanted a new toy the wife got new fruniture..... now we are getting a divorce and i dont have to buy anymore funiture =p

This is my 2nd and last marriage (I dont miss the new wife smell)
I wont do a joint account (burned by 1st wife)so my wife pays her bills i pay the mortgage and the household expenses and spend what i want when i want. she doesn't like it this way says it isn't fair so i tell its not she can pay 1/2 the mortgage then it will be fair.

When it comes to firearms, I take my wife shooting and shopping.
She shoots with me and from time to time I buy her something nice... G17, G19, Winchester lever gun etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes to firearms, I take my wife shooting and shopping.
She shoots with me and from time to time I buy her something nice... G17, G19, Winchester lever gun etc...</div></div>

No M1A?

I always discuss firearm purchases with my wife. Nothing gets purchased unless I get the nod. And fortunately I ALWAYS get the nod. As long I dont say no to her, she doesnt say no to me. This is why i have many many firearms, and she has many many purses and shoes. LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes to firearms, I take my wife shooting and shopping.
She shoots with me and from time to time I buy her something nice... G17, G19, Winchester lever gun etc...</div></div>

No M1A? </div></div>

She likes my M14s, but no M1A for either of us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When Mr. Hand becomes Mr. Fist, she knows the conversation has ended.

Sack up, boys, and the sky is the limit. Unless you are married to Lorena Bobbitt. </div></div>

LMFAO

But in all seriousness, I am pretty blessed when it comes to support. My wife doesn't really like guns but she understands that I do and supports me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always discuss firearm purchases with my wife. Nothing gets purchased unless I get the nod. And fortunately I ALWAYS get the nod. As long I dont say no to her, she doesnt say no to me. This is why i have many many firearms, and she has many many purses and shoes. LOL. </div></div>

Purses and shoes, lucky you. She expects new jewelry, which is an even trade off I guess.

My wife likes firearms too, she likes AR's big time, doesn't care for my bolts at all. I always ask as well, get the nod before I purchase anything.

She is into this beading thing, making necklaces and bracelets. Which, beats the HELL out of watching "what not to wear" and some dumb ass home improvement show...

Home improvement shows should be called "Hey, you are going to be doing this in 2 weeks, nut up camper!"

I guess I'm lucky that my fiancee's father is a huge gun nut and her mother doesnt even bat a lash when he buys several old winchesters every month. My fiancee has very very little interest in guns, yet when I'm heading to a show she'll often ask if I need any extra cash. Yup... keeper. Still, I don't want to give her any reason to change her attitude so I make sure to discuss large purchases before hand. Same thing goes with cars and motorcycles.
She also could care less about expensive clothes and jewelry.. she's more interested in traveling and good food, so double score there!
After years of bad luck and almost getting married several times to the wrong women I still wonder every day how I managed to end up with one this great.

I'm a lucky one. My wife of 10 years enjoys shooting almost as much as me. Before we were married I pitched in and we bought her a Kahr 9mm for Valentine's day. Just recently she purchased a Tikka T3 in .223. She wasn't enjoying the recoil of my .308. At the rifle range she always loves the question "Hey there little lady, what ya shooting?" Her reply.... "1 inch squares @ 200 yards....What about you?"

My wife, the love of my life, just gave me 1000 rounds of EBR sub sonic ammo for my birthday
grin.gif

I try to make the new ones blend in with the rest of the collection. I've found that after you acquire a certain amount it gets easier. When I do end up showing them to her, I make sure to let her know how VALUABLE they are, and how I got a GREAT deal. Most of them are collectables... you know the kind, collectable AR's, M1A's. Hell, I'm about to buy a "collectable" FNP 45. Unless I'm buying a gun for her, then there's no problem at all... strange
As for ammo, I usually buy online. Its hard, but I try to select shipping so I will be the only one around when it arrives.
Oh yeah, +1 for building guns. One brick at a time...
Gotta go, I think she's coming. If she see's me on a gun forum, she'll beat me

Just bought her a $4k Chanel handbag this weekend - i can do what the hell i like now on the gun front....if only i could afford to !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 328 RII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can buy new toys, no matter what the cost, as long as I buy her something of same or higher value. New car,diamonds, etc.
Needless to say I'm not buying anything new at the moment.
A new scope is in the future, but I have been informed that a new set of platinum rings will be in the future also. </div></div>

I'm damn lucky as my wife owns/operates her own jewelry store. She doesn't hurt for sparklies but in our 10 yrs of marraige she's only picked up a few pieces.
Although the few cost many $$$$, we don't keep score.
If I want gun stuff, we discuss then buy. Likewise with the sparklies, she picks them mostly for investment value. I found out lately she's been stocking up on gold the last few years. Local recreational miners pop in occasionally and sell her the yellow stuff.
She's pretty awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hold onto your gold..its going up further </div></div>

+100

I'm pretty fortunate that I don't need to report to my wife all the shit that I buy. Most of the time she's the one picking up the packages when they arrive. Some of my friends don't have it easy at all, they give me money to order their gun parts and have it sent to my house so their wife doesn't see what the hell they buy. My wife laughs about it all the time she asks why they don't have the balls to man up and tell their wives what they bought. I tell my friends that if you're going to be buying shit behind your wife's back you might as well get a separate bank account so she won't see the statements. It funny to me. I do buy what I want , but like most of you I notify the spousal unit out of respect. I'm also lucky, my wife is into guns, as long as I buy them for her. She has a couple AR's one is an MSTN build with an Elcan Specter DR on top and she has a few different handguns. As far as spending money on wants if the money is there it's a go. If you are having trouble convincing the wife that you need a new gun, try spoiling her too then she won't care as much.

My wife is great. In fact she has helped me manage money better and I have more guns since we got married than before. I have had jobs with good money and could home with a $1500 gun and no questions asked. In fact she is happy for me since I have had a huge shity grin on my face, I am sure. When money has been tight, like now. I don't spend and she doesn't spend much on extras. I believe the key is not only very good communication but also respect for each other and responsibility for our family. We enjoy seeing each other happy.

if every one at work is safe i get a $360 bonus check every quarter that isn't direct deposited into my checking acct. like my regular pay check. that baby gets cashed and goes directly into my gun safe. Ive been letting them add up until I can be sure she doesn't know about it... If I ever get busted Ill just tell her Ive been putting it away for a rainy day in case "we" ever needed it. B4 we got the joint account I used to buy all kinds of guns she didn't know about now for some reason she thinks we have better things to spend all my er I mean our money on.