• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your wife

Re: Your wife

My wife doesn't support the hobby, but she does tolerate it. I have never lied to her about anything gun related, I have however waited for a "good" time to tell her about purchases, even if a few months after the fact. You know the saying, "It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my wife once lodged a makarov in my prison purse cause I bought it without pre approved permission slips properly filled out, ever since it's been a crap shoot </div></div>

Hahahaha jesus man you're rapidly escalating the list of Hide members I most want to grab a beer with </div></div>

good to know, hafta do it some day, just remember to not get caught standin behind me after eatin nachos

I just had to do some funny business for 2 Premier scopes I just ordered from Scott at Liberty.
Thanks Scott for being flexible on the funding.
Sleeping on the couch sux.

I usually have to store new purchases at my buddies house until I can find a time to sneak them in the house. I like to get them good and dirty so I can say it's one I've had for 'years'. Remember this is the one I bought last year. I just painted it.
smile.gif

My HH6's Dad is a FFL holder. I buy most all of my weapons through him. She's also a Police Officer, and shoots with me. I guess I can say I'm very lucky.

I have no issues at home. Just like guns, a wife can be replaced. Done it once already and she was a shooter too. I have a new wife (that has become a shooter)that wants me by 2 of everything so she has as much fun as I do. Its costly but worth every cent of it. LH_Gina is getting spoiled with all the matches we go to and fun we have.

Can a wife add to this post? I've read through the thread and think its great that many of you have supportive wives.

I am not a fan of separate accounts.
I'm not a fan of allowances.
I'm not a fan of hiding money to make purchases. Being sneaky is bad but being selfish is worse.

I am a firm believer in budgets with discretionary categories. I'm a firm believer of saving up for something expensive. Shouldn't matter what it is or who wants it or why.

I don't believe in keeping score on spending.
Where's the sincerity in that?

My priorities are probably different then most.
I spend my money on ammo and training and not on more guns.
That said, I'm happy with my 1 long rifle, 1 pistol, 1 shot gun & 1 carbine. These weapons were purchased cause I wanted them and my husband is happy with the contents of the gun safe.

Besides, we have children who need us to save for their needs more then we need multiple weapons of each type and caliber. And its more important that we're practiced and well trained for home defense or competition shooting vs. fashionable with the latest and greatest scope and weapon system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim3gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just like guns, a wife can be replaced. </div></div>

Wives cost more to replace...and you got lucky.

MK1 Mod2 goes away I'll be telling the ladies "I'm here for a good time, not a long time".....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim3gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just like guns, a wife can be replaced. </div></div>

Wives cost more to replace...and you got lucky.

</div></div>

I don't know about that one sobr. Every time he lets me touch a new gun, I "acquire" it... Course, then Tim needs to get a NEW gun to replace the one I fell in love with, so I suppose that does make him pretty lucky.
wink.gif

I wouldn't lie to my wife about buying a new gun, or anything really. Small lies lead to big lies and I don't want to go down that path.

I just tell her I'm buying a new gun, scope, bicycle, whatever. When she asks how much it is, I tell her, "A lot. Don't worry about it."

If she really wants to know, she'll ask a few more questions & I'll tell her how much whatever it is costs. She either gets it or she doesn't, but she never gives me a hard time about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: melliemel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a fan of separate accounts.
I'm not a fan of hiding money to make purchases. Being sneaky is bad but being selfish is worse.

I am a firm believer in budgets with discretionary categories. I'm a firm believer of saving up for something expensive. Shouldn't matter what it is or who wants it or why.

Where's the sincerity in that? </div></div> Well said and principles that guide my wife and I too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: melliemel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a fan of separate accounts.

Where's the sincerity in that? </div></div> Well said and principles that guide my wife and I too. </div></div>

Unfortunately, my wife can't budget or won't budget. So, we have separate accounts and she gets an allowance. I am the only person with a paying job in the family; she works, we have to small children who keep her busy. As far as guns go I get what I want when I can afford them. Also, I don't ask for permission or talk about how much it is going to be. My wife knows I am the saver in the family and I make sure we always have safety money if something were to happen. Also, I put away money for the children's education.

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Unfortunately, my wife can't budget or won't budget. So, we have separate accounts and she gets an allowance. I am the only person with a paying job in the family; she works, we have to small children who keep her busy. As far as guns go I get what I want when I can afford them. Also, I don't ask for permission or talk about how much it is going to be. My wife knows I am the saver in the family and I make sure we always have safety money if something were to happen. Also, I put away money for the children's education.

Jamie

</div></div>

Money handling is a skill.
Not everyone possesses it.
My knack for it was enhanced by a business education.

Most women closest to me are money handling misfits.
Its great you have system in place that works.
In fact, most couples I know have separate accounts and allowances. I'm not a fan of it but I'm also not against it.

My husband's job is mentally taxing.
Its my job to ensure our home is a safe place to land.
But I only want to mother my children.
I don't want my husband asking permission.
He's my man, not my child.
We're equals.

Discussions should be about "when" can we afford this and not "can I have this?"

I don't hide any of my purchases/transactions from my wife.I wheel+deal and upgrade so much,that sometimes I don't even know what's comin and goin.It's a partnership and as long as it doesn't effect paying the bills or vacation fund deposits,she's cool with it.
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try to never lie, either to my wife or anyone else. It's not an easy policy to live with, but it's one I believe in.
...</div></div>

Well said sir.

I had to tell mine "no" on a second safe for a xmas present. I made up my mind
where the limit was and she's trying to make me go over.

She has her money, I have mine and we have ours. We pay our bills first, save the majority of the remainder for our future and spend what we can on what we want. There's no asking permission in this house. Neither one of us is the boss, it's a partnership as long as we're together. When that changes so does the marital status. We don't live to work, we work to live. Money is for spending on living.I work long and hard hours for my money just like her and I will never ask permission to spend it. And I would nerver ask her to either. It's called respect. With out it there's no reason to be here for either one of us.

earlier this year
(me) I would like to get a M16
(w) Don't you have one?
(me)yes
(w)Are all the bills paid?
(me) yes
(w) how much?
(me) 18k, its new in the box and unique
(w) ok

2 months later
same conversation but about a MP5K and same outcome

All I have to say if you get married, pick you wife well, don't ever say no to anything she wants and get all your debt gone so you have some serious buying power. When we got married we had a 5 yr plan to void all debt except a mortgage and it works.

I once made $1800 on a shotgun deal, used $600 to repair my car after she rear ended somebody. When I used $600 to buy a used Beretta, she gave me THE LOOK. I never tell her what I spend unless I have to. She is better than my cousins wife who told him "if you go first, the guns go to the police station"