• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ZenRay ED2 Spotters & Vortex Viper HD Spotters?

gamehawker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2011
So I'm interested in buying a new spotting scope for shooting at my IWLA rifle range. The range goes out to 300 yards and I would like to see my results (punches in the paper at 300 yards) of my Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW and my Remington 700 LSS .257 weatherby mag. Also, this spotting scope will be for hunting in WV and if I ever go out west to hunt in the future.

I bought a Redfield Rampage 20-60x80 Angled Spotting Scope from OpticsPlanet but I tried the spotting scope at my IWLA rifle range a few times and could not even see clearly my target groupings at 200 yards so I sent it back.

I am now really interested in a Zen-Ray 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope.

To everyone that has gotten one how to you like it and what are the pros and cons?

I maybe also interested in a Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80mm Spotting Scope. Any feedback for that spotting scope would be appreciate it too.

Would I be able to see clearly my target groupings at 300 yards with two spotting scopes above?

In addition, what tripod set-up would anyone recommend for these two Spotting Scopes?

Thanks!

Re: ZenRay ED2 Spotters & Vortex Viper HD Spotters?

Doesn't anyone who has either of these two spotting scopes have any opinions or feedback?

Thanks!

I've got the zenray and I am very happy with it. I ended up getting the vortex milling reticle and I put it in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got the zenray and I am very happy with it. I ended up getting the vortex milling reticle and I put it in it. </div></div>

Thanks for the reply & feedback. I went ahead any purchased the Zen-Ray 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope and it should be delivered soon. I'm super excited to get it. I think I got it for a good price (a little over $900 with free delivery).

I was thinking about getting the Vortex Razor HD 30x Spotting Scope Ranging Eyepiece too. But I'm used to MOA so I'll probably get MOA instead of the MRAD (mills) reticle like you.

What type of tripod set-up do you use for your Zen Ray?

I will let you know what I think of the Zen-Ray 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope after I've been to the rifle range a few times.

Thanks again for the reply & feedback.

Tim

I got the Zen-Ray 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope on Tuesday and it is SWEEEEET!
laugh.gif

On my way to the rifle range yesterday I stopped by my local Walmart to see what type of tripods they had. Low and behold they a returned brand new Manfrotto MKC3-H01. I bought it and it works perfect!

The best part it was pretty inexpensive and it fits in my range bag.
smile.gif

Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Photo-Movie Kit QR (Black) MKC3-H01 B&H Photo

The Manfrotto MKC3-H01 replaced the Monfrotto Modo Mini tripod. Some LongRangeHunting forum members had reviewed that tripod a few years back and gave it good reviews.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/monfrotto-modo-mini-tripod-review-47314/

I love my spotting scope set-up.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gamehawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the Zen-Ray 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope on Tuesday and it is SWEEEEET!
laugh.gif

On my way to the rifle range yesterday I stopped by my local Walmart to see what type of tripods they had. Low and behold they a returned brand new Manfrotto MKC3-H01. I bought it and it works perfect!

smile.gif

The Manfrotto MKC3-H01 replaced the Monfrotto Modo Mini tripod. Some LongRangeHunting forum members had reviewed that tripod a few years back and gave it good reviews.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/monfrotto-modo-mini-tripod-review-47314/

laugh.gif
</div></div>

nice tripod. Can the Zen ED2 tripod foot work directly with QR without the Manfrotto plate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cloudt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gamehawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the Zen-Ray 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope on Tuesday and it is SWEEEEET!
laugh.gif

smile.gif

laugh.gif
</div></div>

nice tripod. Can the Zen ED2 tripod foot work directly with QR without the Manfrotto plate? </div></div>

No

So, can u see your bullet holes easily out to 300 yards? I need to get a spotting scope also. I was at the range yesterday shooting at 300-600 yards with some buddies. I couldn't see anything through my older tasco past 200. Very frustrating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, can u see your bullet holes easily out to 300 yards? I need to get a spotting scope also. I was at the range yesterday shooting at 300-600 yards with some buddies. I couldn't see anything through my older tasco past 200. Very frustrating. </div></div>

Yes, definitely!!!

I got my Zen-Ray ED2 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope from Wayfair.

They are only $1,022.99 right now and I think that price is the cheapest I've seen.

http://www.wayfair.com/Zen-Ray-Optics-20...ng-ZRR1016.html

If you want the Zen-Ray ED2 Wide Angle 25-50x82mm Angled Spotting Scope

it is only $1,013.99 right now. For that price it's a steal.

http://www.wayfair.com/Zen-Ray-Optics-25...ng-ZRR1015.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got the zenray and I am very happy with it. I ended up getting the vortex milling reticle and I put it in it. </div></div>

So these two spotters look a lot alike, didn't know they have interchangeable eye pieces. Is that really the case? Thanks in advance.

Well, now I see it does. Just needed to look a few posts down...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gamehawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, can u see your bullet holes easily out to 300 yards? I need to get a spotting scope also. I was at the range yesterday shooting at 300-600 yards with some buddies. I couldn't see anything through my older tasco past 200. Very frustrating. </div></div>

Yes, definitely!!!

They are only $1,022.99 right now and I think that price is the cheapest I've seen.

http://www.wayfair.com/Zen-Ray-Optics-25...ng-ZRR1015.html </div></div>

Holy smoke, those 25-50x82 package is a crazy deal. I have their 20-60x82 spotter. Have been looking to get an upgrade to 25-50 x wide angle eyepiece

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cloudt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gamehawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, can u see your bullet holes easily out to 300 yards? I need to get a spotting scope also. I was at the range yesterday shooting at 300-600 yards with some buddies. I couldn't see anything through my older tasco past 200. Very frustrating. </div></div>

Yes, definitely!!!

http://www.wayfair.com/Zen-Ray-Optics-25...ng-ZRR1015.html </div></div>

Holy smoke, those 25-50x82 package is a crazy deal. I have their 20-60x82 spotter. Have been looking to get an upgrade to 25-50 x wide angle eyepiece </div></div>

Call Zen-Ray directly (503-360-5352) and they will possibly let you trade/upgrade your 20-60x eyepiece for the 25-50x wide angle eyepiece for $150.

Zen-Ray sent me the 25-50x wide angle eyepiece so I could compare it to my 20-60x eyepiece. I really could not tell the difference and did not think it was worth the $150 so I sent the 25-50x wide angle eyepiece back to them.

I am looking at getting a good angled spotter. What is the warranty on the Zen-Ray compared to the Vortex? I have never heard much about Zen-Ray good or bad. I have a straight Leica now and the only thing I don't like about it is I wish it was the angled version.