• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    By now you’ve probably seen and heard a lot about the new ZCO reticle called the MPCT3. This new reticle has many small details that may go unnoticed until the reticle is being used. Because we’ve talked to numerous shooters around the world who are curious about the MPCT3, we’ve noticed a trend that most of these shooters hadn’t realized some of the smaller details in the reticle. We’ll describe these details and explain the advantages of them. As we all know, it is often the small details that set one thing apart from another, and the MPCT3 is no different in that regard. The many small details found in the MPCT3 ultimately lead to enhanced speed and efficiency for target engagement, which was one of the design goals when we started this new reticle.

image-1.png

1. We increased the open area around the central floating dot ever so slightly from our already popular MPCT1 and MPCT2. We...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
    Is there a good break down explanation like this (or video) of the "Fatal Funnel" thing? Thanks.

Original explanation where I got my understanding from

1592322190143.png

If the target is 12" wide this would equal 700 yards.
    If the target is 18" wide it would equal 1,000 yards.

If you use the dashed line down the middle instead of the full width between the two outside scales then the scales becomes for 6" and 9" targets instead of 12 & 18 (because youre only using half of it)

So this is a 12" wide target, its 400 yards away.
    1592322359960.png

This is an 18" wide target, its 500 yards away.
    1592322415044.png

This is a 6" wide target, its 600 yards away.
    1592322450613.png

This is a 9" wide target, its 800 yards away.
    1592322528825.png

Last edited:
    View attachment 7352683

If you use the dashed line down the middle instead of the full width between the two outside scales then the scales becomes for 6" and 9" targets instead of 12 & 18 (because youre only using half of it)

So this is a 12" target, its 400 yards away.
    View attachment 7352684

This is an 18" target, its 500 yards away.
    View attachment 7352685

This is a 6" target, its 600 yards away.
    View attachment 7352686

View attachment 7352687

Well done sir, super simple explanation. I remember when the MPCT3 came out I had a mental block on this but this hasty explanation above is on point.

The number one thing I've had to remember is to ensure the moment the lines are "touched" by the target, that is the rough distance. Keeping the rifle steady enough to measure that has been a training goal for me.

Well done sir, super simple explanation. I remember when the MPCT3 came out I had a mental block on this but this hasty explanation above is on point.

The number one thing I've had to remember is to ensure the moment the lines are "touched" by the target, that is the rough distance. Keeping the rifle steady enough to measure that has been a training goal for me.

Keep in mind ranging reticles like this should be used in targets large enough to absorb the error.

Ranging something like a 6” circle @ unknown distance past say 600 yds with reticle is a bit unrealistic.

Point is, if you’re finding yourself attempting to range something you need to keep extremely still, it’s either too small/far away to be realistic, or you’re being too picky. If being too picky, get a quicker range and send it. You’ll find you still hit the target.

Keep in mind ranging reticles like this should be used in targets large enough to absorb the error.

Ranging something like a 6” circle @ unknown distance past say 600 yds with reticle is a bit unrealistic.

Point is, if you’re finding yourself attempting to range something you need to keep extremely still, it’s either too small/far away to be realistic, or you’re being too picky. If being too picky, get a quicker range and send it. You’ll find you still hit the target.

Good call out. I think the last part is what I am hanging up on: being too picky.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    @lowlight Thank you for posting. I'm hoping this answers most questions about the reticle.
    Interesting, the big circles are still drawing my eye all over the place. I think this is one of those "seeing is believing" situations, I understand the concept but am having difficulty thinking how this will make acquiring target with the christmas tree "quicker" or convince my neural pathways :D. My buddy just bought 3 new ZCO's but none of them are the MPCT3, hopefully I can get the opportunity to look through one at some point because I'm really curious how my eyes/brain will interpret everything when looking through the scope, there have been other reticles that I did not think I would like but when I saw it through the scope (vs. just pics on the interweb) I actually enjoyed using it; I can see how the MPCT3 may be a pleasant surprise in that regard. I do like how you're investigating what can make a reticle better or more usable for given situations, you have piqued my curiosity with the MPCT3 with this thorough explanation, thank you Nick.

So happy to see more images that are clean.
    I have been waiting for more from ZCO
    This works for MY brain. A few things I would tweak but this is my favorite reticle in tier1 scopes now. Cant wait to get behind 1 !!!

Again though.. flip your controls please. Pretty please. But before I buy a few of these or dont do it

View attachment 7352683

View attachment 7352684

View attachment 7352685

View attachment 7352686

View attachment 7352687
    Professor spife to the rescue!

Atacr is a tier or two below ZCO.

Regardless of mechanicals the glass in all the NF’s I’ve been behind left me thinking “ yea, that’s nice glass” whereas looking through a ZCO was “ holy crap Batman!”

Professor spife to the rescue!

Regardless of mechanicals the glass in all the NF’s I’ve been behind left me thinking “ yea, that’s nice glass” whereas looking through a ZCO was “ holy crap Batman!”

NF makes good optics. But a good portion of the price they command comes from the .mil fanboys over the years.

They are fairly average in my book (comparatively speaking).

NF makes good optics. But a good portion of the price they command comes from the .mil fanboys over the years.

They are fairly average in my book (comparatively speaking).
    Yea.
    I hardly consider them a value but the are certainly good scopes.
    Side by side it tough to see a difference from my Cronus.

The ZCO took a giant shit on my Cronus
    It’s like looking through a Kowa Prominar which I have a lot of experience with.

I am a bit of a NF fanboy at this point simply because I like the overall package they offer in the 4-16 ATACR, but I would easily rate them below the Kahles and S&B US i had for glass quality. The only reason I don't have a ZCO is the same reason I no longer have my S&B US: I can't justify the extra $1k+ for my current use case.

One will definitely be in my future after I graduate.

Ok but is ZCO just the cats meow on the controlled firing line or is it battle / service proven and as durable/reliable as the ATACR? Such a new company doesn’t have the same service proven history...or does it.

Reactions: deersniper
    Ok but is ZCO just the cats meow on the controlled firing line or is it battle / service proven and as durable/reliable as the ATACR? Such a new company doesn’t have the same service proven history...or does it.

Who do you think was the major influence at Nightforce that is responsible for a lot of that reputation?

View attachment 7352683

View attachment 7352684

View attachment 7352685

View attachment 7352686

View attachment 7352687

Wow, that's really useful....and easy

Reactions: WEV2102
    Yet you found the time to type 13 words you didn’t need to.
    Bruh. You didn’t have to do him dirty like that 😂😂

after seeing spife’s drawing of how the fatal funnel works, it definitely makes a lot more sense. Plus I like the gridded bottom half better than on the mpct2. Not to say the 2 is bad by any stretch, but the 3 seems better to my eyes.

@gebhardt02 when are you guys gonna start offering reticles to s&b so we can swap them out in our 5-25’s 🤔

I've never understood why correcting off wind dots is superior to correcting off normal sub-tensions.

Then again, it seems like every time I have disagreed with Todd Hodnette over the last fifteen or so years I eventually figure out that I'm wrong and he's right...

• Haha
    Reactions: Threadcutter308
    I've never understood why correcting off wind dots is superior to correcting off normal sub-tensions.

Then again, it seems like every time I have disagreed with Todd Hodnette over the last fifteen or so years I eventually figure out that I'm wrong and he's right...

Probably the same reason someone would need the Fatal Fallopians instead of just using sub tensions.

Hey it’s what I learned on!

Last edited:
    Reactions: J-Ham