• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1:9 Twist 300WM.. or just go 300 PRC?

Mobullets22

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2022
Missouri
I have a 1:9 twist 3B bart that will be put on a hunting rifle. I am flipping back and forth between 300PRC and 300WM for this build. It’ll be a light ish (10lbs scoped) hunting rifle that will also get a bit of range time.

This will be on an ARC Nucleus action and chambered by LRI.

I am leaning towards 300WM for versatility but am curious if the 1:9 will have a hard time stabilizing 175-200 IF I decided to buy some factory ammo. I am a reloader and plan to reload 205-215 bergers but do not want to totally restrict myself…. Or should I stop being stupid and chamber in 300PRC..

Appreciate any input.

I have a 1:9 twist 3B bart that will be put on a hunting rifle. I am flipping back and forth between 300PRC and 300WM for this build. It’ll be a light ish (10lbs scoped) hunting rifle that will also get a bit of range time.

This will be on an ARC Nucleus action and chambered by LRI.

I am leaning towards 300WM for versatility but am curious if the 1:9 will have a hard time stabilizing 175-200 IF I decided to buy some factory ammo. I am a reloader and plan to reload 205-215 bergers but do not want to totally restrict myself…. Or should I stop being stupid and chamber in 300PRC..

Appreciate any input.

I shoot 230 A-tips out of a 10 twist 300 PRC. 9 is fast enough to stabilize just about anything but the longest solids, or the 250 atips.

Reactions: VargmatII
My 300 WM shot fantastic with 225 ELDMs. I would think you’d be fine with what you’re planning on shooting. Probably better availability of factory WM ammo.

I had a 1-9” twist .308 win that only saw 175gr fgmm. It shot them like you would expect a PVA chambered barrel to shoot. You will have no problem with a 1-9” twist barrel.

I think you're wrong about 1:9 will have a hard time stabilizing a 175-200...
Well this is good. Seems odd that most 300WM are 1:10. My main worry was not being able to shoot the lighter weight stuff if I found myself in a situation where I needed to snag a box of factory. Most factory 300wm seems to be 165-180

Reactions: Fig
My 300 WM shot fantastic with 225 ELDMs. I would think you’d be fine with what you’re planning on shooting. Probably better availability of factory WM ammo.
I know the 1:9 can do the heavy my concern was more around the lighter factory stuff in 300Win mag if I found myself needing to snag a box of factory. I don’t think I’d ever forget my reloads on a hunt but I’d rather be able to improvise if so.

It's probably an overblown concern. It takes a hell of a lot of spin to "over stabilize" a bullet, but you can under stabilize a heavy one pretty easily, or at least that's what it seems like playing around with the calculator.

It's probably an overblown concern. It takes a hell of a lot of spin to "over stabilize" a bullet, but you can under stabilize a heavy one pretty easily, or at least that's what it seems like playing around with the calculator.
That is good to hear. Just threw me off that it seems like the only time someone runs 1:9 in 300wm is for 240s using a mk248 reamer

I know the 1:9 can do the heavy my concern was more around the lighter factory stuff in 300Win mag if I found myself needing to snag a box of factory. I don’t think I’d ever forget my reloads on a hunt but I’d rather be able to improvise if so.
I see what you mean now. Dont give it a second thought.

I recently had a 300wm built, 22" 1-9 twist. I picked up aome factory Norma 150gr to do barrel break in and get some good brass. They shot 1" at 100yds and i was hitting steel at 300 and 400. I plan on running 215 Bergers when available.
20220809_144224.jpg

I am a huge lover of the 230gr in .300WM for ungulates. Super sonic out past a mile, highly wind resistant, and over 1000lbs of energy at 1,300 yards. The GAP rifle below is more precise than either of my comp sticks (it no longer wears a Harris!).

300WM.JPG

300 PRC > 300 WM (300 PRC is designed for our modern bullets--300WM isn't bad--its a great round--PRC is just better design)
Period. End of Story. (I say this as a 300 WM shooter/fan/enthusiast). Especially as you go past 200 grains--once you hit 220ish, 300 WM is caput. 300 PRC really starts shining with those heavy bullets we all like at 210+

The ONLY reason to chamber for 300 WM is because you are already setup to reload for 300 WM or you may travel to areas where you cannot get your reloads.

Some bullets do fly apart from too much spin--that's a bullet design issue, not a twist issue. Besides the "lighter" 175gr 30 cals are not known to be among them. 200 gr? pffft--SEND IT. In fact more spin is usually a good thing. more spin = more angular momentum = more stability.

Reactions: Fig
I am a huge lover of the 230gr in .300WM for ungulates. Super sonic out past a mile, highly wind resistant, and over 1000lbs of energy at 1,300 yards. The GAP rifle below is more precise than either of my comp sticks (it no longer wears a Harris!).

View attachment 7940736
Do you have the mk248 reamer or standard sammi chamber?

Standard chamber running a Berger 230 Hybird at almost exactly 2750Fps over 76.2C grs of H1000. There's a crunch when you load them, but I find it gives very low SD/ES. I know some on SH dislike compressed loads, but I have found them to be very consistent when you weigh every charge, and I've never run into the problems some people talk about. I get zero signs of pressure and I'm on the third of fourth loading of 300 pieces of Lapua brass, and I haven't lost a case yet to a split neck, and the primer pockets are all still tight. I can't skip trimming though.

Standard chamber running a Berger 230 Hybird at almost exactly 2750Fps over 76.2C grs of H1000. There's a crunch when you load them, but I find it gives very low SD/ES. I know some on SH dislike compressed loads, but I have found them to be very consistent when you weigh every charge, and I've never run into the problems some people talk about. I get zero signs of pressure and I'm on the third of fourth loading of 300 pieces of Lapua brass, and I haven't lost a case yet to a split neck, and the primer pockets are all still tight. I can't skip trimming though.
Oh that’s awesome to hear you can run the 230s in 300wm without any special reamer

300 PRC > 300 WM (300 PRC is designed for our modern bullets--300WM isn't bad--its a great round--PRC is just better design)
Period. End of Story. (I say this as a 300 WM shooter/fan/enthusiast). Especially as you go past 200 grains--once you hit 220ish, 300 WM is caput. 300 PRC really starts shining with those heavy bullets we all like at 210+

The ONLY reason to chamber for 300 WM is because you are already setup to reload for 300 WM or you may travel to areas where you cannot get your reloads.

Some bullets do fly apart from too much spin--that's a bullet design issue, not a twist issue. Besides the "lighter" 175gr 30 cals are not known to be among them. 200 gr? pffft--SEND IT. In fact more spin is usually a good thing. more spin = more angular momentum = more stability.
This is what keeps me undecided. I probably will not travel places I can’t get my reloads. I’m probably putting too much thought into “availability”

I totally agree with the above. This is also my hunting rifle, and as such I want to be able to buy CorLokts at a gas station wherever I'm hunting just in case something happens... They're fine at less than 400 yards where the vast majority of animals are taken.

I had the same debate, but I decided the increased horsepower of the PRC wasn't worth it to me, because the odds of me wanting to exceed the limitations of the .300WM when hunting are just North of zero. PRC really starts to shine at the extreme ranges, and I generally don't take those shots. I have ZERO problem with anyone who would shoot an elk across a valley @1,500 yards, but for me that 10" pie plate @1000 is a good limit.

You can't argue that the .300WM is better in any regard other than it's plenty of gun already, and much easier to get ammo for in a pinch.

I totally agree with the above. This is also my hunting rifle, and as such I want to be able to buy CorLokts at a gas station wherever I'm hunting just in case something happens... They're fine at less than 400 yards where the vast majority of animals are taken.

I had the same debate, but I decided the increased horsepower of the PRC wasn't worth it to me, because the odds of me wanting to exceed the limitations of the .300WM when hunting are just North of zero. PRC really starts to shine at the extreme ranges, and I generally don't take those shots. I have ZERO problem with anyone who would shoot an elk across a valley @1,500 yards, but for me that 10" pie plate @1000 is a good limit.

You can't argue that the .300WM is better in any regard other than it's plenty of gun already, and much easier to get ammo for in a pinch.
Yeah this is a good point and what keeps 300wm on the table. Have the pieces it’s just a a matter of what I ask LRI to chamber

I single load my WM and it gives up very little, if any, to my PRC. Almost identical performance. No problem to get on steel at a mile. Plus you can pick up ammo in most hunting areas.

Reactions: leendertp
I'm yet to see all these "better case designs" actually result in better accuracy. The PRC has lots of things that people say are an advantage- no belt, shoulder angle, longer neck to better hold and align bullet etc.. but the end results just don't show it (unless you are comparing a high dollar prc to a factory chambered win mag hunting rifle).

If you custom chamber for heavies and hand load then the PRC has no advantage.... Actual End of Story.

DT SRS in 300wm..LOVES Hornady 225 ELD-M,s... ( 1 in 10 twist)

200 yds and 475yds..
Round Fluro orange plate is 12" Dia...5 shots at 1500yds..

Attachments

• 20220813_133030.jpgwwww.jpg
    20220813_133030.jpgwwww.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220813_133037.jpgwwww.jpg
    20220813_133037.jpgwwww.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220818_090431.jpgwwww.jpg
    20220818_090431.jpgwwww.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220818_090452.jpgwww.jpg
    20220818_090452.jpgwww.jpg