• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors 12.7x48 suppressed video link

Am180man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Missouri
Finally got around to posting a short video I did on my 12.7x48 suppressed. For some reason the the video goes silent after I fire the first round, but you can see the power that this round has by the way it rocks the gong @ 100yds. The last shot is a blue tip incendiary...made a LOUD boom when impacting.

As a side note I had the rig out this past Saturday (62 degrees on New Years Eve...yeah, I'll take it) and hit a steel silhouette at 430yds with blue tips...3 in a row. This was with a STRONG tail wind helping to carry the round. After the wind died down, I was aiming a same point and the rounds were falling at least 10-12 feet below the target. Of course at that range it was like mortar fire! :)

Hope you enjoy the video!
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mABaiMcK...mp;feature=plcp

Re: 12.7x48 suppressed video link

Nice setup and great round. I've got my Desert Tactical SRS set up with a 12.7X48 barrel and suppressor. We have fired it at ranges out to 800yds with API just to see the flashes. Surprisingly accurate even out that far but with a rainbow trajectory. We hit some 5/16" AR500 steel plates at 250yds and actually had a penetrator punch a hole in the plate....subsonic....
Most who shoot these are pretty impressed.
Rifle pic is of my friends SRS in 12.7X48...I made him a barrel and suppressor as well.
the other pics are of the penetrator stuck in the armor plate.

TanDTwithcan510.jpg

AR500armorplatewith510Wpenetratorstuckfrom250yds.jpg

AR500armorplatewith510Wpenetratorstuckfrom250yds3.jpg

AR500armorplatewith510Wpenetratorstuckfrom250yds2.jpg

Frank

Yeah, I was "chastised" by our club prez for hitting out gongs at 100 with AP rounds. Didn't go through, but you could definitely tell where they impacted. He was laughing about it as well. I didn't think the AP's would do what they did considering they're clicking along at on;t 1000 fps.

Sending you a PM on your load data for your rounds if you don't mind. Sweet looking rig too. Would love to have oone, but as I'm a lefty, I'm kinda screwed on that one.
Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. What barrel twist are you using with those? </div></div>

If you're asking about the SRS they are 1-9 twist.

We haven't had any issues with the range because it belongs to the friend I built the barrel and can for. We weren't intending to put holes in the targets but things happen. It is a very neat round and its fun to watch the tracers arcing out to 1000yds. The tiny powder charge will light the tracers pretty reliably and we've even had pretty good luck with APIT lighting. Gotta get more brass and get serious this spring.
As for the SRS being lefty unfriendly you might have a look at one. I shoot left handed on occasion and the only real issue is lifting your head when you operate the bolt. Thats pretty much the way of things with any right hand bolt gun...

Frank

Hello,

do you use a standard 338 suppressor open for a 12.7 bullets or it is a special build?
how does it work when you use it with a 30or 338 cal ?is it very noisy?
thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob7-08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

do you use a standard 338 suppressor open for a 12.7 bullets or it is a special build?
how does it work when you use it with a 30or 338 cal ?is it very noisy?
thank you </div></div>

I don't think a .338 can will handle the .510 dia bullets. I know mine won't. My .338 suppressor is a little on the heavy side but is very quiet with the high powered lapua round. It has a .400 bore so a .510 bullet won't fit....at least not more than once. My .510 suppressor is a dedicated can for the 12.7X48 and uses a .875X24 thread versus the .750X24 on the .338. The 12.7 can is also aluminum where the .338 is mild steel.

Hope I'm answering the right question.

Frank

I building a 50 Hush Puppy which is just a chopped down 7mmWSM with a 510 bullet stuffed in. It can be loaded with short bullets to work in an AR15, or long ones for use in a magnum action. I'm building mine on a CZ550 magnum to shoot BMG bullets. The case, with a 647 grain API stuffed in it to the same overall length as a 300 win mag, there's room for about 30 grains of H110 powder. I figure I'll start at 20 grains, and work my way up until I hit 1050 fps. Barrel length will be from 10 to 14 inches with an integral suppressor to make overall length 22 or 24 inches. Any thoughts?

That FA .22lr with tracers looks more fun. The .510 Whisper is a very intriguing cartridge though..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SREssentials</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I building a 50 Hush Puppy which is just a chopped down 7mmWSM with a 510 bullet stuffed in. It can be loaded with short bullets to work in an AR15, or long ones for use in a magnum action. I'm building mine on a CZ550 magnum to shoot BMG bullets. The case, with a 647 grain API stuffed in it to the same overall length as a 300 win mag, there's room for about 30 grains of H110 powder. I figure I'll start at 20 grains, and work my way up until I hit 1050 fps. Barrel length will be from 10 to 14 inches with an integral suppressor to make overall length 22 or 24 inches. Any thoughts? </div></div>

I think it will be fun and cool good luck. I am dying to get my AWC .510 CAN approved and to shoot it. PG

Regarding 510 Whisper/ 12.7x48 or 50 Hushpuppy, does anyone know whether either can be fed by DTA SRS magazine? Thanks.