• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.5" bbl with a pinned PWS CQB Comp: any issues??

rukwikenuf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
i've got a 14.5" bbl coming to finalize my latest AR build, 5.56x45. i'm HOPING to put a PWS CQB Comp on my rifle, figuring a way to permanently attach it, and having fun. that's this muzzle device, btw:
CQB Comp, 1/2x28 threads, .223, retail packaging

anyhoo, it was brought to my attention that if i were to run this comp on a 14.5 MIDLENGTH gas bbl, i would likely be facing having overgassing issues. thats the last thing i want, so it's got me second guessing my plan.

do any of you have any reason to believe or not believe this? i'd ask the fellas on ARFCOM, but i really don't like that site.

thanks for the help gents

Shouldn't have a problem. If you do, shouldn't be anything a heavier buffer won't solve.

Stop listening to whoever told you that, compared to a carbine length gas system the mid length is more forgiving due to the longer gas tube. The comp will case a MINIMAL increase in back pressure, the PWS comp redirects the gasses laterally from the bore mitigating recoil. I have run an RRA middy pretty hard in steel matches and only ever had 1 failure due to shitty ammo, saw multiple failures with carbine length gas tube rifles (This is not an all encompassing indictment of carbine length gas tubes, just sharing my experiences).

thanks guys. what i'm gonna try is to mount the hider on an SBR of a friend's so i can test it before i weld that bad boy to my rifle. i'll also grab a heavier buffer if i have any cycling issues and try that before counting it as a total loss

Just for info, you need a washer to make it over 16". Just did one of these for a buddy and it was 15.8 inches without the washer.