• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1426 yard deer

Re: 1426 yard deer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy $hit, a truce, are we going to stick a fork in this thread and call it done?

Wadcutter, that was one heck of a shot, wish I could, but I would never do it.
Sometimes videos shouldn't be posted on the web, to many of the masses want to try it without paying thier dues.
It's quite apparent you did, congrats.
</div></div>

Well put!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a forum about long range shooting. I am surprised that a bunch of Nancy boys object to a long range shot being taken at a deer. </div></div>

I for myself make a huge difference between LR-shooting and LR-hunting, and I personaly would consider this topic to be more subjected for the hunting area of the board, since its primary hunting, and secondary an extreme long range shot on game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am surprised that a bunch of Nancy boys object to a long range shot being taken at a deer. </div></div>

This sentiment here is what the hostility in this thread is about. A Lack of respect for Trophy game animals. Apparently in Salt Lake City there are so many deer that you can have that attitude, it's just a deer.

This is not an attack on 500 grains, but I just want to point out the difference between city folks and the people living in the country. Farmers and ranchers see these animals all year long, through the harsh winters, droughts, and relate to what they go through just to survive, and respect them for it.
The city dwellers on the other hand get to watch 11 months of hyped-up TV shows, between seasons, giving them new ways to harvest game. Then for 1 month of the year we take to the field, where 60 to 80 yard bow shots are now acceptable. And now it is within reason for any numbnuts to take a shot at deer, elk, even a grizzly bear, the latter one thanks to "Wankers of the West" out to the "Majic" 1000 yard mark.

I guess there's just alot of people who don't like the direction people's ways of taking game are headed to these days. And there are to many people that don't have the restraint from doing something they shouldn't.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Milo

I think spending time around the animals(deer) would give you more empathy for them for sure. I don't think it's a trend for people just lately to start trying shots they can't complete. There have been wankers since my great grandpa was hunting that have tried to shoot too long a shot. For them that might have been two hundred yards. The technology and knowledge of long range shooting has changed. What might have been an unethical, "too-long-a-shot" 20 years ago, no longer is for some. It is the moral obligation of every hunter to have reasonable confidence in their abilities to make the shot before shooting, wheather that is 40 yards for a bow hunter or 1500 yards with an Etreme Long rang rifle. Our boy has put in the time, took a reasonable shot FOR HIM and did it. Took his game animal ethicaly. If terminal ballistics are the worry, they shouldn't be. A 300 grain smk at under 1500 yards from this cartridge has 1440 ft lbs of energy. Same as a hot .308 at about 450 yards. Plenty of energy to make a clean kill. Again, the game has changed. For most, this would not be an ethical shot. For a few it is. Just because you are not capable doesn't mean no one is. And yes this belongs here, it was an Extreme Long Range shot made on a target. I saw one on an 1100 yard bull elk here last year. If it truly bothers you that much, don't participate in the thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son studied computer science with another boy who's parents have property they call the Elk graveyard. Every year multiple bull elk come to their property to die, with arrows stuck in them.

I blame the game department for giving preference to obsolete weapons like bows and muzzle loaders. </div></div>I was going to stay out of this, but this kind of pushed me over the edge.

I have to ask how many elk every year wander off and die because of poorly placed rifle shots? I've been taking game with my bow for 21 years, and have yet to lose a single animal. Why do you suppose that is?

Here is my theory. When I go hunting, I do my homework. Whether with my rifle or with my bow. I take shots that I'm comfortable with under the current conditions, with that particular weapon. I've shot a deer at 12 yards with my bow, and I've shot one at over 500 with my rifle, and everywhere in between depending on conditions. I'm guessing there are many elk that wander off and die with an arrow stuck in them due to the guy who pulls his bow out of the closet in November, blows the dust off it, and goes hunting. I would also bet that there is as much, or more game lost to the guy who walks into wally world, buys a 30-06 combo, with a "pre bore-sighted scope" and goes hunting. Don't think it doesn't happen. I've seen it!

I live in the town where the National Field Archery headquarters is, and have a farm with a dedicated rifle range on it. (where I get to watch the game animals all year long) I shoot a couple thousand rifle rounds a year, and even more arrows. When I shoot at a game animal, I EXPECT it to be laying there when I get there.
Maybe if the majority of hunters put their time in, there wouldn't be so many wounded animals......... Whether at 1400 yards, or 25.

Ok. I'm done. Nice shot Wadcutter. Good to see someone putting their time in.
I'm off to try some shots in the 40 mph wind. Nobody ever got better at shooting by typing about it on a keyboard.

Washington's elk hunting laws are crap! , lot more guys are going to bow (i went to bow for elk 5 years ago) because like a lot of guys i was sick and tired of seeing lots of elk but could only take a spike only (stupid seeing 4 branched bulls and 12-15 cows walk by at 50 yards and no spike in the bunch. At least with a bow you can shoot at cows & spikes. And with the season so hot 80-90 deg i didn't even bother getting an elk tag this year, and it starts on a Tuesday (day after Labor day)

verdugo,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just because you are not capable doesn't mean no one is. </div></div>

I don't think you have the right to make this assumption.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it truly bothers you that much, don't participate in the thread. </div></div>

I'm not that bothered, just exercising my right to my opinion. So I'm staying in the thread.

Oh, my 300gr SMK or Berger 300gr hybrid has 2588 ft lbs of energy at 1500 yards, and it makes a 4" splatter mark on painted AR plate at that distance. But then again, so does my 7mm SAUM.
At 2000 yards on T-1 steel it only leaves a 2" splatter, soft steel must absorb more of the impact!

I didn't realize it was my ability in question here. I will shoot with you anyday, and am quite certain you will not be happy with the outcome. IMNSHO Sorry

Try shooting that 300gr SMK at 3300 fps and you got a different ball game.

Maybe the distance police should set some guidelines for us who are so ethically depraved. Tell me how far is too far?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a forum about long range shooting. I am surprised that a bunch of Nancy boys object to a long range shot being taken at a deer. </div></div>

Exactly, so why talk hunting when there's a separate section for that on the board?

You're right - I dont "dare" to shoot at game from 1400 yards, and I don't dare to drive without seat-belt either, which I am confident a cool guy like you does all the time..

eddy,
I can't, 3220fps with VV20N29. But I can get 3350 with the Rocky Mountain 275gr. Just to costly to shoot.

I think some of you are getting something out of my posts that I"m not putting in them.
All I've said is some people who don't have the skill, should not be doing this, and videos just encourage the thrill seeker.

It was quite apparent to me that the OP was capable.
By the sound of your hand held artillery, you probably are too.
And Mr vertugo most likely can too.
And I surely have not "questioned" yours or anybody elses ethics.

Just living in wide open Wy, we see and hear of alot ignorant shit being done by incompetent people. And sometimes it is hard not to become disgusted with it.

I hear ya on the casual shooter overstepping their limitations, but we cannot help stupid. There are guys at the end of their skills at 50 yards. The good thing about extreme range shooting, most of the talkers are not even going to get close to an animal that far. It is the guys who have no business taking 300-500 yard shots that are more prone to wound an animal. And then of course you have the guys who shoot a box of shells every ten or so years who will pop off on anything that skylines itself. There are idiots out there, they are gonna do their thing no matter what encouragement they get from us, they cannot help themselves.

BTW Milo-2 that was not necessarily direted at you, I just use quick reply most often

Great shot.You missed the one on the left
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he has trained and has confidence in the shot, he is way more responsible than thousands of hunters that keep the rifle in a damp safe for months and just take it out for the hunt. </div></div> Very well put.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this is related to each person's capacity for empathy, which is probably related to one's intelligence. Me human, and perhaps you caveman it is then?</div></div> I've been called worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully you can arise to the heights of those that choose not to cause pain and suffering to game animals just to appease their prowess of long shots!! </div></div> You do know the purpose of hunting is to kill an animal, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and learn the sheer excitement of stalking closer to your pray - its all the "sniper-factor" any hunter can ask for, without involving an extreme risk for any prey.. </div></div> Again, hard to imagine anything more "risky" to the animal than actually dying... Which is the goal of hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, Wadcutter, great shooting.</div></div> +1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shot.You missed the one on the left
smile.gif
</div></div> That's funny, I don't care who you are!!
laugh.gif

I would never have taken a shot like that. Simply because I'm not good enough. But if Wadcutter knew for sure that this shot was within his skillset, then why shouldn't he take it?

I don't know who said it; but you're either taking a high percentage shot or you're not. Knowing that and your own limits is what makes a good and ethical hunter. The range is pretty much irrelevant IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and learn the sheer excitement of stalking closer to your pray - its all the "sniper-factor" any hunter can ask for, without involving an extreme risk for any prey.. </div></div> Again, hard to imagine anything more "risky" to the animal than actually dying... Which is the goal of hunting.
</div></div>

Correct, and to be more specific, to hunt in such way that the game is not subjected to unnecessary suffering. And I still consider 1000+ yard shots to be a very risky way of doing things, even if things worked out great in this specific case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Correct, and to be more specific, to hunt in such way that the game is not subjected to unnecessary suffering.</div></div>

By your definition, the best hunter would bait his pray. Such shenanigans are illegal where I come from.

I like how people bitch about long range shots on those giant rats some people call deer, but shooting at a coyote/fox/groundhog at long range is good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAKO-75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would never have taken a shot like that. Simply because I'm not good enough. But if Wadcutter knew for sure that this shot was within his skillset, then why shouldn't he take it?

I don't know who said it; but you're either taking a high percentage shot or you're not. Knowing that and your own limits is what makes a good and ethical hunter. The range is pretty much irrelevant IMHO. </div></div>

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.

I think this hits the nail right on the heard.

Firstly lets get off the sparkly view that at the long distances you are 100% able to make long shots go where you point your muzzel because youve done the work because its crap .

With a bit of wind or a fail in trigger release or if your ammo isnt quite right nobody stays real accurate %100 -its not like you reach a level and then never miss -there is skill and LUCK involved in long shots and when the luck doesnt work then an animal goes away to die in pain .

As far as the animal types you shoot at long distance ,yes I would say there is a difference between a ground hog and a deer as a bullet will devisate a ground hog in a much quicker and bigger way than a Samba deer for example .

Some here are willing to show greater respect toward an animal than others here who only veiw the animal "just as an animal"and it doesnt matter if it gets wounded because of a chancey sort of shot and runs off to bleed out

Note this post in not directed at any one in particular just at this practice

Very nice shot.

P.S. you guys should really drop the arguments, as nobody is going to change the other's mind and it is just causing tension from what I see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zwhetz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice shot.

P.S. you guys should really drop the arguments, as nobody is going to change the other's mind and it is just causing tension from what I see. </div></div> Healthy debate often causes tension , not that it is aggresive or bad tension and nothing ever changed without reasonable debate .In short you are welcome not to participate if you have tension reading opposing veiws

From the guys I know and my own experience with long range hunting, long range hunters are more concerned with quickly dispatching an animal than your average hunter, ya there are some idiots but everyone has them to the same degree. I do think that with long range hunting if your of, the animal has a much better chance of a clean miss than at close range. I had one miss last year and it was a ranging error of 60yrds and it was a clean miss on an antelope, I took the time to stalk her within 25 yrds and make darn sure it was a clean miss even though my self and two spotters could see it as a clean miss. I don't think the idiots have a snow balls chance of even wounding an animal at long range, I would rather them shooting at a 1000yrds than at 300 where they may actually get a bullet into something.

Excellent shot but how hard was it to get it out of that ravine and are there pictures.

What is with all the negativity? This thread is not about right or wrong! The man did an awesome shot, congratulate! What is the matter with you people?! If you are going to preach? You are entitled to one, but please do a seperate thread for it as it is off topic.

Anyway, If I were to shoot this with my 6.5CM here's what I would've dialed it in: 84.5MOA-UP + .75MOA-RIGHT What was your adjustments WadCutter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Vegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anyway, If I were to shoot this with my 6.5CM here's what I would've dialed it in: 84.5MOA-UP + .75MOA-RIGHT What was your adjustments WadCutter? </div></div>
Mike,
I used 44.5 MOA and 0.5 MOA left.
Atmos... Temp 58 F, 28.9inhg, 65%.
-38deg lat, Az 45 deg.
300SMK at 2820fps 100yd Zero.

I might be missing something here, but wasn't the original argument against the 500 yd head shot?

If you miss the vitals(when aiming for the heart or lungs), you are still going to knock the animal down (most times). If you miss a head shot, you are going to take the jaw off, while it can still run a LONG ways.

Living and hunting in Idaho my whole life, I find it irresponsible to take 500 yd head shots and don't know of one hunter that thinks it would be "cool" to do so. We care more about taking the game humanely then putting it in the freezer.

Why even try for a 500yd head shot?

Why do you feel the need to call ethical hunters "Nancy boys"? That is extremely ignorant. I would rather have every hunter pass on questionable shots (500yd head shots on deer), than act irresponsible and wound them. Every year we come across animals that have been wounded. If you have even a bit of decency, you feel sorry for the animal when it is suffering. But I guess I don't just think of them as "just a deer".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think spending time around the animals(deer) would give you more empathy for them for sure. I don't think it's a trend for people just lately to start trying shots they can't complete. There have been wankers since my great grandpa was hunting that have tried to shoot too long a shot. For them that might have been two hundred yards. The technology and knowledge of long range shooting has changed. What might have been an unethical, "too-long-a-shot" 20 years ago, no longer is for some. It is the moral obligation of every hunter to have reasonable confidence in their abilities to make the shot before shooting, wheather that is 40 yards for a bow hunter or 1500 yards with an Etreme Long rang rifle. Our boy has put in the time, took a reasonable shot FOR HIM and did it. Took his game animal ethicaly. If terminal ballistics are the worry, they shouldn't be. A 300 grain smk at under 1500 yards from this cartridge has 1440 ft lbs of energy. Same as a hot .308 at about 450 yards. Plenty of energy to make a clean kill. Again, the game has changed. For most, this would not be an ethical shot. For a few it is. Just because you are not capable doesn't mean no one is. And yes this belongs here, it was an Extreme Long Range shot made on a target. I saw one on an 1100 yard bull elk here last year. If it truly bothers you that much, don't participate in the thread. </div></div>

You have points, but at the end it still falls on the fact that there are factors that make a 1426 yd shot undeniably asserted that there are unaccounted factors that may result in a failure (im not saying it couldn't happen from 40 yd either, but at least there are less factors to play when the distance decreases).

No one can say "it is 100% safe to take a 1426 yd shot if all the conditions are absolutely perfect", that would be like suggesting that the Space shuttle program is completely free of risks, where as a 40 yd shot would be more like comparing it to boarding a 2 hour flight in any western country, still always a slight possibility for disaster, but in comparison absolutely safe..

As for your last comment, I would suggest that if you don't like us having ethical issues with 1426 yd deer shots, don't bother argumenting with us then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mram10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a forum about long range shooting. I am surprised that a bunch of Nancy boys object to a long range shot being taken at a deer. </div></div>

Why do you feel the need to call ethical hunters "Nancy boys"? That is extremely ignorant. I would rather have every hunter pass on questionable shots (500yd head shots on deer), than act irresponsible and wound them. Every year we come across animals that have been wounded. If you have even a bit of decency, you feel sorry for the animal when it is suffering. But I guess I don't just think of them as "just a deer". </div></div>

mram10, I would have no problem inviting you over to my grounds for hunting any time, you seem like a decent person with valid opinions that I fully share when it comes to 'macho mentality' and care for the game we all love to hunt, but as this thread has so clearly shown - with different levels of regards to their well-being.

Everyone talk about blowing jaws of with a head shot like it's common, I've only seen it happen once and it was from a scope that was jacked up and they guy did not check it and at a couple hundred yards, holding behind the shoulder the bullet caught the front of the lower jaw. Fortunately the guy didn't freak out and realized something was bad wrong with his rig and then shot her with mine. Any way, I see around a dozen elk wounded a year by shoulder shooting them at close range and only one wounded from a head shot. Never seen it happen on a deer and I shoot quite a few in the head, have had shoulder shots and neck shots fail but never a head shot but I'm very picky about it.

So if I take what I see and apply ethics to it then I would say the head shot is the most ethical and the shoulder shot is just horrifying and just irresponsible, doesn't that sound reasonable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone talk about blowing jaws of with a head shot like it's common, I've only seen it happen once and it was from a scope that was jacked up and they guy did not check it and at a couple hundred yards, holding behind the shoulder the bullet caught the front of the lower jaw. Fortunately the guy didn't freak out and realized something was bad wrong with his rig and then shot her with mine. Any way, I see around a dozen elk wounded a year by shoulder shooting them at close range and only one wounded from a head shot. Never seen it happen on a deer and I shoot quite a few in the head, have had shoulder shots and neck shots fail but never a head shot but I'm very picky about it.

So if I take what I see and apply ethics to it then I would say the head shot is the most ethical and the shoulder shot is just horrifying and just irresponsible, doesn't that sound reasonable? </div></div>

...and if all of those who usually aims for the shoulder had started aiming for the brains as you suggest (which is a fracture of the size of the heart/lung-area) you would have seen alot more Elks dying from starvation and dehydration.

What youre suggesting I consider being very much like suggesting people should drive without seat-belts, since its faster to evacuate if the car suddenly catches fire (...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mram10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a forum about long range shooting. I am surprised that a bunch of Nancy boys object to a long range shot being taken at a deer. </div></div>

Why do you feel the need to call ethical hunters "Nancy boys"? That is extremely ignorant. I would rather have every hunter pass on questionable shots (500yd head shots on deer), than act irresponsible and wound them. Every year we come across animals that have been wounded. If you have even a bit of decency, you feel sorry for the animal when it is suffering. But I guess I don't just think of them as "just a deer". </div></div>

mram10, I would have no problem inviting you over to my grounds for hunting any time, you seem like a decent person with valid opinions that I fully share when it comes to 'macho mentality' and care for the game we all love to hunt, but as this thread has so clearly shown - with different levels of regards to their well-being. </div></div>

Thanks Cazorp. I have yet to make it to Sweden in my travels, but you never know. I get frustrated seeing people disrespect the animals we have up here. Every year these Californians (not the only ones, but definitely the majority) blast our animals while taking only the head or back straps. Very frustrating. I was taught to dispatch an animal cleanly and eat all of it (though I still don't eat the heart and liver like the rest of my family). Anyway, enough from my soap-box. Good luck to all hunting this year.

Im not to fond of entrails dishes either, but many hunters here, usually the ones with a long tradition of hunting in their families, are really fond of things like liver, kidneys, heart and especially moose tongue.

What I usually do is to take care of the heart if its not to badly damaged, as well as the liver. My fiance makes BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) for our cats, where she mixes chicken bones, heart, liver and all kinds of intestines in our mixer to a grosse substance, and the cats just loves it.

BARF is supposedly very good for dogs as well, so perhaps you could use up even more parts of your kills if you got carnivores at home to feed
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not to fond of entrails dishes either, but many hunters here, usually the ones with a long tradition of hunting in their families, are really fond of things like liver, kidneys, heart and especially moose tongue.

What I usually do is to take care of the heart if its not to badly damaged, as well as the liver. My fiance makes BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) for our cats, where she mixes chicken bones, heart, liver and all kinds of intestines in our mixer to a grosse substance, and the cats just loves it.

BARF is supposedly very good for dogs as well, so perhaps you could use up even more parts of your kills if you got carnivores at home to feed
wink.gif
</div></div>

Not to hijack this thread, but my old boss would grind up deer (without the hide) and feed them to his german shepherds. I haven't tried it, but my two love hunting season since they get the leg bones of the deer and elk.

Helluva shot there man, good on you!
cool.gif

...and F**K the haters!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Helluva shot there man, good on you!
cool.gif

...and F**K the haters!
grin.gif
</div></div>bet you wear jandles hunting ,poach and are from below the Bombay Hills

Even if you can only wound a deer at 2000 plus yards that's pretty B.A. in my book. If you could scare an animal at that range because it heard your round fly by you're doing much better than 99% of people on planet earth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 375snot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if you can only wound a deer at 2000 plus yards that's pretty B.A. in my book. If you could scare an animal at that range because it heard your round fly by you're doing much better than 99% of people on planet earth. </div></div>

Yup, wounding a deer is just exactly bad-ass, especially if you take a calculated risk when shooting at it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zwhetz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys should really drop the arguments, as nobody is going to change the other's mind and it is just causing tension from what I see. </div></div>Maybe they should drop their shorts and release some of that tension.

Seriously, the shot was impressive. Wadcutter is obviously far more qualified than the vast majority of so-called hunters. I liked it. However, I would feel like crap if some action beyond my control or ability to detect, like a sudden movement by the animal or a mid-canyon cross wind caused the shot to hit somewhere besides the vitals.

A friend of mine gave the shot some computation, wind error, muzzle velocity/gun powder temperature, pressure, temperature, altitude - the works. I'm not gonna bore anyone out with throwing out data you hopefully can compute yourselves, but all in all, you don't "safe" a 1426 yd shot against a deer and its vital zone, its a gamble all the way..

For two seconds you were entirely dependent upon the animal not moving. The longer the distance the greater the need for that kind of luck. Simple physics. Why don't you satisfy your ego in a way that sees you pay for your mistakes rather than something else, then you might have something to brag about.

I'm wondering how many other deer you've tried this on that didn't make for attaboy footage.

+1 EventHorizon -so many choose to not think about the luck factor that stopped this animal being maimed .Its great to see responsible shooters voice opinions on these silly shots-stick to steel at extra long range

The thing is Dustin that people here in Sweden have some kind of problem. It's not accepted for anyone to be better at anything then someone else. It's even worse if you have the balls to say/show it. Of some reason "long range hunting" here is about 200 yards. A few days ago I saw a man shoot at a target at 80 meters. Not a single bullet was in the target area. But he was really proud and said - "well a moose is bigger then that". Thats the type of idiots I see at the range every day:/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeSweden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing is Dustin that people here in Sweden have some kind of problem. It's not accepted for anyone to be better at anything then someone else. It's even worse if you have the balls to say/show it. Of some reason "long range hunting" here is about 200 yards. A few days ago I saw a man shoot at a target at 80 meters. Not a single bullet was in the target area. But he was really proud and said - "well a moose is bigger then that". Thats the type of idiots I see at the range every day:/ </div></div>

I guess idiots shoot at both long and short range...

to the OP, Yes, that was an Impressive shot.... BUT, I fall into the cannot condone group! You guided that area for 8 yrs? Shoot there often and didn't scout your game in advance? No Way! I'll throw the flag right there! So as a hunter you deliberately set up to take a shot at that distance from the get go? To many variables were way outside your control.(The animal being the biggest) So, Not really a good shot, just a very lucky one bro. And to my brothers from this side of the Pacific who think shooters and hunter over here should STFU.. I say to you, do you think the 40-80% of the non gun, non hunting crowd are going to agree with you or with me? I'll stand up for my rights too my brothers but we have to fight for the hearts and minds of the sheep. This doesn't help our cause one bit. Not my ethics standard be damned. It's all about ethics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeSweden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing is Dustin that people here in Sweden have some kind of problem. It's not accepted for anyone to be better at anything then someone else. It's even worse if you have the balls to say/show it. Of some reason "long range hunting" here is about 200 yards. A few days ago I saw a man shoot at a target at 80 meters. Not a single bullet was in the target area. But he was really proud and said - "well a moose is bigger then that". Thats the type of idiots I see at the range every day:/ </div></div>

You're missing out on the point here, this is not about being better - if I want bragging rights, I shoot a small group on long range, or hit a target on extremely long range with my first round. If I want to be questioned, I shoot a extremely long shot on live game, and regardless of the result - people are going to question my behaviour.

I would draw a parallell to driving a bike 200 mph through heavy traffic - yes, you could make it and it would be a remarkable performance, but nevertheless still stupid as h*ll.. Thats what I consider a 1426 yd deer shot to be, stupid, since theres a live prey involved in the stakes.