• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 155 lapua need advice

erdmann

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Midland,texas
Shot today over the crony 200 yards and i had some strange velocities
308 sako TRG 155 gr lapua, varget
45.2 varget 5 shot vel. average 2840 H-2850 L-2829 OK group 1"

46.0 var. " " " " 2863 H-2881 L-2848 1.2 group

46.2 var " " " " 2850 H-2884 L-2836 .746 group not much change but the best group

46.4 var " " " " 2855 H-2895 L-2830 .850 group slower

What do you thing

Re: 155 lapua need advice

What were the coniditions like? Could just be something throwing the chrony off. How close were the shooters next to you?

Sometimes other rifles can set my chrony in the wrong direction.

Generally, if a load has consistent MV, you will see the results down range as they should produce a "flat" group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you should give me your TRG.
</div></div> ha ha

I'd repeat it to figure out whats missing.. As far as choosing which load to use, I'd go for the one with the lowest extreme spread as long as precision is there (which it seems to be).

I use 45,5 gr Vihtavouri N150 for my Scenar 155's, used to go with 46,5 but my Norma brass kept being beat so I lowered since precision and ES was similar regardless of load in that interval..

What were your OALs? That's a fairly heavily compressed load so I think you might have been getting some pushback. If you adjust OAL at a lighter load, when you get to the heavier charges, the powder fights back all the harder against your bullet seater. I know that with some bullet/brass combinations, I have to "chase" the OAL as the load gets more compressed. If your OAL was fluctuating as the load got more compressed, you wouldn't have been getting all the increased chamber pressure -- or muzzle velocity -- you were expecting.

At 2.2", I bet you really heard/felt a good crunch when seating the bullets.

Nevermind you went down in velocity with a higher powder charge. The only time I have seen that was when I was around max pressure for my gun. I think I would chrono them again to see if you got the same results.

Push them hard, really hard, and they will give you 260 performance from a 308, my 24 inch Rock thumps them at 3050 with either 46.2 RL15 or IMR4895, CCi primers Lapua brass, in my experience Scenars like to touch the lands but will shoot almost as good jumpin, I would also recommend HbN or Moly if you push them as hard as me

3000+ i hope you get a good deal on barrels

4000+ rounds so far through a 26" 1-11" Krieger MTU on my Surgeon .308 and it still shoots stupid accurate....pushing scenars at 2950fps. My bore scope shows me zero heat cracks...hell the damn thing might last forever. Helps that I seldom if ever clean it.

I run the 155 scenars at 2975 fps out of a 25 in K&P, with 46.5 of RL-15. My buddy runs the same load but with 46 grns out of a Bartlein 24 in tube and he's running them at 3050. Both guns are kicking ass all the way out to 1k. We've never had any pressure issues, even while shooting at 96-97F. Lapua brass, and CCI BR primers.