• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Remington

I do really like the .20Remington.
I have 2 Tikka rifles in this caliber.
The first one is a CTR with the factory 20" barrel, that i did shoot out, it took over 6000 rounds to do it, so Tikka factory barrels can handle shooting and it did still did under 0.4 MOA with 5-shots, but it was gettin so slow.
This rifle is now rebarreled with 28" Krieger M24 SS 1/8" and Carnbonsix 24" BULL 1/8" barrels.
Nice to see, that kind of speed that Krieger will give :cool:.
Then i have this 24" Tikka T3 SS Varmint.
Super accurate rifle.
It works well with N150, N160 or N555.
N160 and 123gr it will do over 900 ms with the powder charge from VV manual.
Now i am running it with N555 with 123gr Scenar, even the VV do not give data for it, but i did test it with the load
that works well on my 6.5CM, and it is working very nice.
Like this young chap can demonstrate :)

Hi there I have a CTR tikka 20" bbl and have 108g Lapua scenar would you have any load data inIMR 4350 or Lovex S065 . I was thinking 36grains to start with ?

Would appriciate any advise . Many thanks

South Africa

Reactions: viking78
Hi there I have a CTR tikka 20" bbl and have 108g Lapua scenar would you have any load data inIMR 4350 or Lovex S065 . I was thinking 36grains to start with ?

Would appriciate any advise . Many thanks

South Africa
Curios why you chose the 108gr projectile?
FYI lighter projectile =more powder

Last edited:
I had the same gun. It is now a 22 incher with an MDT chassis. I do recall having some exceptional loads for the original barrel and light bullets. I'll check my notes and get back to you. What's your reasoning for the light weights?

I started my 6.5 reloading with a 6.5x06 in the 60s so never paid any attention to the 260 book loads or folks that want to load a 6.5x08 like a 308. That is a fools errand. The 6.5 CM with less capacity and same design out performs the 260, give me a break. That is marketing Crapola.
If you want to make a 260 shoot, you start with a 1-8 twist quality barrel, in a trued action, with brass fully prepped and segregated by fire formed case capacity.

With a 120 SMK set .003 off the 6.5x08 is capable of .1 groups at 3,200 fps with single digit standard deviation numbers using H-414. The 260 is the 6.5x08 with a 1 or 2 degree shoulder angle change by Remington, is all it is. If you neck size the 6.5xo8 fired brass in a 260 die you never know the difference.

Giving credit where credit is due, I had a retired,30 year, sniper show me how his social rifle in 6.5x08 worked, I just followed his lead in cutting my first rifle of five and his loads. You load H-414 at the starting load then increase in 1/2 grain increments until it shoots one hole, then you stop. It will shoot 1-1 1/2 " groups then go to 1 ragged hole when you get to the place. You will have a slight crater in the primer. Now at 3,200 fps with the 120 SMK you can do the math, it is supersonic past 1,200 yards and shoots .75 at 500. All you need to do is hold it.

My 700 Remingtons are trued actions the ARs are Armalite AR-10s
This is my Medesha AR-10 upper, it shoots .13 in the AR-10T lower with NM trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 56
22" R700 5R Milspec .260 Rem in an Aero Solus 15" chassis w/ Ergo Suregrip & MDT mag. Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 ZF-MRi (MRAD) scope in ARC M-Brace 34mm Low rings on EGW HD 20MOA base. TriggerTech Special w/ screw removed. And Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 6.5mm w/ DA KeyMo setup.

Target load: Nosler 140 Custom Comp (or RDF) with 38.0gr Varget in Lapua .260 Rem brass and CCI 200 primers. Shoots nice cloverleafs, good enough for banging steel at distance.

IMG_1656.jpeg
IMG_1288.jpeg
IMG_1289.jpeg
IMG_1637.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpegIMG_1672.jpeg

Thought I'd put this up here for anyone interested. I have some ADG, Peterson, and Starline brass that I was curious about capacities. All Virgin capacities as I haven't fired any of them yet.

H4350 H4831SC Hunter SW4350
ADG- 50.5 49.9 51.8 50.3
Pete- 53.3 52.6 53.0 52.1
Star- 52.1 51.5 52.2 51.7

I found this pretty interesting. I've got 6.5x47 brass in Peterson that's quite a bit smaller capacities than the other cases I have. Same with 308. I thought the ADG and Peterson would be pretty close and the Starline would be the largest. Wasn't a super duper scientific test and it was measured on a chargemaster lite. But I repeated it a couple times and was always within a tenth off at the most. This was filled to the very top of the case so it's not a usable number, just a comparative one. Thanks!

Reactions: LRRPF52 and FishDr
Anyone tried Superformance? Tried a few loads. Garmin Chrono. Thinking the readings were a little high but seem to be inline the history of the rifle.
26" Krieger 1/8 twist" / With Suppressor
140 eld-m
Lapua Brass
2.92" OAL
44.3g: No velocity readings but shot well
46g: 2850fps
47.5: 2995fps / Had a few that were 3010,3011fps

• Wow
Reactions: LRRPF52
Anyone tried Superformance? Tried a few loads. Garmin Chrono. Thinking the readings were a little high but seem to be inline the history of the rifle.
26" Krieger 1/8 twist" / With Suppressor
140 eld-m
Lapua Brass
2.92" OAL
44.3g: No velocity readings but shot well
46g: 2850fps
47.5: 2995fps / Had a few that were 3010,3011fps
Wow! And no, I haven’t tried it. Was tempted a couple years ago, but missed that boat.

I know those speeds are doable, I’ve just always gone for medium speeds around 2750+/-.

The Hornady book shows max load: 2700fps with 44.3g Superformance/Remington case at 2.785" OAL out of a 24" barrel.

I was getting about the same velocity with RL26 in my McGowen precision 26” 1-8 with 140 gr RDF’s So sounds about right. These numbers are possible with modern powders that match the cartridge.

Reactions: SnowMan
I found some old pics of my very first groups out of the GA Precision-built LR-260 for me, using a Bartlein pipe.

I should shoot it more. Freaking laser. I actually ended up settling on 130gr VLDs because they’re so flat at 1000yds.

DSCF0262.jpg

2012-10-20153036.jpg

Last edited:
I found some old pics of my very first groups out of the GA Precision-built LR-260 for me, using a Bartlein pipe.

I should shoot it more. Freaking laser. I actually ended up settling on 130gr VLDs because they’re so flat at 1000yds.

DSCF0262.jpg

2012-10-20153036.jpg
I should do the same. Ive got a 20" gap 10 in 260 that I shot my best ever 1000 yard group with. 6 in 5 inches off of a bag and bipod. It does chew up the brass on ejection and shows pressure signs on moderate loads. Thing is kind of a pig and its so much nicer carrying a little Grendel around that she stays in the dark most of the time.

I have two LR308’s in 260rem, BHW 22” 1/8 twist , one set up as a mid range with an Vortex 1-6 LPVO. The other is a long range rig with a Burris XTR2 5-25 x 56 . They both shoot awesome as well , but they are 12.5 to 13 lb rigs.

I should do the same. Ive got a 20" gap 10 in 260 that I shot my best ever 1000 yard group with. 6 in 5 inches off of a bag and bipod. It does chew up the brass on ejection and shows pressure signs on moderate loads. Thing is kind of a pig and its so much nicer carrying a little Grendel around that she stays in the dark most of the time.
That’s exactly what happened with me, though my brass doesn’t get shredded really. I just lose primer pockets after 3 firings, which is not cool even back when I was spending $1/piece of brass.

I’m thinking I can maybe tame the treatment of brass with the new Bootleg LR-308 bolt carrier, which has adjustable gas in the carrier.

The first time I grouped that rifle at 1000, I was laying in the back of our truck bed and purposely ignored a wind call so I could see where it would go horizontally.

It was still a 9.25” group, with 2 rounds within 4.5” of each other, the wind change round opening it up to over 9”. I shot those on crib mattress cardboard box with 2 layers, so I could see the trajectory downrange. It was so flat, I couldn’t believe it.

I haven’t shot the .260 Rem since 2015 I think. Grendels get taken out every time I shoot long range, especially the 12”.

I have a 22” Lilja Grendel with fluted bull barrel that shoots like the Bartlein, but I never shoot it either because I like the short, compact guns so much.

I have two LR308’s in 260rem, BHW 22” 1/8 twist , one set up as a mid range with an Vortex 1-6 LPVO. The other is a long range rig with a Burris XTR2 5-25 x 56 . They both shoot awesome as well , but they are 12.5 to 13 lb rigs.
My .260 Rem gasser is 14lbs when scoped-up.

I just installed an A5 RET on the lower, replacing the standard rifle stock, RET, and AR-10 rifle buffer. Used the same rifle spring and a Franklin Armory carbine buffer with multiple dead-blow weights and elastomer buffers between the weights. Haven’t shot it yet in that configuration, but it always ran like a raped ape with the rifle set-up.

I still have boxes of 130gr loaded up. I’ve never shot factory ammo through it, but I bought some Hornady 130gr ELD-M to try.

I wonder if the gun would have benefitted from a longer gas system. I got mine right before the +1 and +2 gas systems got popular. Adjustable gas carrier is interesting. Ive always thought it was unlocking a bit early even with the gas turned down so that it barely locks back on an empty mag.

And yeah, my 12" G gets shot more than anything. Im super interested to see what you find out with that 8" when you play with it.

The LR308s were all over gassed a bit.

Mine once broke the extractor using some hot factory superformance loads.

Last edited:
The LR308s were all over gassed a bit.

Mine once broke the extractor using some hot factory superformance loads.
My first ArmaLite AR-10T ran fine without issue. I sold it and later bought an LR-308, which folded the extractor lip over on the first few rounds fired. I ordered another extractor from DPMS and replaced the bent one. Didn’t inspire a lot of confidence and made me miss the ArmaLite, which was a 1/3 MOA gun with FGMM. Stupid accurate. The guy I sold it to came back to the FFL I worked at then with a giant grin on his face, “Son! That raffle iz uh shooootarh!!!!” shoved the target in my face with a ragged hole 10rd group.

“That’s at thuree-hunderd yeeaards!!!!!"

He was tickled silly.

Reactions: lash
So where are we in the RL16 bs H4350 debate? Assume they’re the same price (they’re not) and availability (both in stock right now)

What’s better overall as regards speed accuracy temp sensitivity SD consistency, ease of load development across platforms?

I've had good luck with both. But I'm with zeroz on this one. I feel It's been easier to find good loads with H4350 than RL16 throughout my handloading experience. I think it's more forgiving if that makes sense. With similar cartridges I will always reccomend H4350.

If only GAP knew what they were doing, LOL.
GAP knows that they are doing. They cautioned me from the start that things start to get wild when you try to duplicate bolt gun performance with .260 Rem in gas guns, which I why I lean on 130gr.

GAP knows that they are doing. They cautioned me from the start that things start to get wild when you try to duplicate bolt gun performance with .260 Rem in gas guns, which I why I lean on 130gr.
I know, I was kidding. Like I said, I shot my best 1000 yard group with my gap 10 in .260.