• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report .17 HMR & .308 Compared @ 600

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
Considering ballistics, at what distance would I have to fire my .17 HMR in order for it to be comparable to firing a 165 gr. .308 at 600 yards?

Re: .17 HMR & .308 Compared @ 600

Are you talking DROP or DRIFT? They are going to be infinitely different. Just plug all of the info into a ballistics calculator and see where they cross paths. I just think these two calibers are too different to compare. If you can learn to read and call the wind with the 17 you'll be set for any caliber!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering ballistics, at what <span style="font-weight: bold">distance</span> would I have to fire my .17 HMR in order for it to be comparable to firing a 165 gr. .308 at <span style="font-weight: bold">600 yards</span>? </div></div>

Confused....?

Are you talking about energy? A 165g 308 has approx 3 times as much energy at 1000 yards vs. an HMR at point blank range.

wind wise 300y , drop wise 400 , but , but goes subsonic at 300 ,