• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 hornady hornet? anyone got one?

Broken_Reticle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Philadelphia Tn
I was doing some reading And came across the 17 hornet. I reload for my 223, but with the recent shortages of stuff I thought it might be nice to have a rifle in a different caliber. I like shooting my 17MR, but I hate that I can't reload for it.

Hornaday shows on their website that the 17 hornet and the 223 have the same trajectory out to 300 yards.they show that with they're 15.5 or 17.5 grain vmax.

Anyone with this rifle care too give me some real world experience about this cartridge it would be greatly appreciated. I can still find some components for this cartridge on Powdervalley etc. at the moment.So it looks to be a good substitute for a plinking cartridge

Thank you
B_R

Re: 17 hornady hornet? anyone got one?

I used to shoot a .17 Ackley Hornet wildcat. I loved the round. A pound of powder lasted forevre. It was fun to shoot, relatively quiet, and low recoil. I killed hundreds of jacks with it and thousands of prairie dogs. I eventually ditched it because the Ruger rotary magazines were junk for that cartridge. I've had full intentions of replacing it with a CZ527, but haven't ever done it.

Yeah that sounds like what I'm looking for... looking to get the savage action. Does anyone else to make a good rifle chambered for this cartridge?

I'm also interested in real world experience. A CZ527 in 17 hornet is on my short-list.

Looked up the 527 it only comes in 17 rug .204 rem .223 or 7.69x39... so would you have them rechamber or have to buy it, take it to a smith, and get them to put a new barrel chamber for the 17 hornet? would a 17 hornet case fit a .223 mag since that is what the gun has...

I remember reading a couple days ago that CZ will not be chambering the 17 hornady hornet in the 527 until June this year. I will definitely be adding one to my collection as soon as they release.

hahah @captramrod01 you answered before I could finish editing my post... Yup no 17 hornet in the 527 yet.

They start shipping at the end of this month, according to CZ.

The 17AH is the precursor to the 17HH, but ballistically the same. (Kind of like the .20 Tactical and the .204Ruger)

A great, efficient cartridge. Period.

And no, a CZ 527 in .223 will not work without replacing the bottom metal and magazine.

It is on my short list based on that announcement. Well, its Jan 2013. Hopefully it wont be too long before they are available and shipping.

I'm happy to see another manufacturer step up to the plate here, with a chit load of luck, they will offer a LH model for us weird folk.

Go CZ, i'd be very happy to flop down some benjamins on the 17 Hornet.

t

I've got the savage walking varminter in 17 hornet. So far I like it no recoil seems accurate but have only shot one box of ammo out of it.

They start shipping at the end of this month, according to CZ.

The 17AH is the precursor to the 17HH, but ballistically the same. (Kind of like the .20 Tactical and the .204Ruger)

A great, efficient cartridge. Period.

And no, a CZ 527 in .223 will not work without replacing the bottom metal and magazine.

Waiting on my reamer and barrel to show up to convert my 77-22 hornet. Not to many company make the .17 barrel anymore.

I'd wait for the CZ, that Savage is just plain ugly...

@ beretta989 Shilen makes a ton of .17 barrels .

I have an email into them to see if they plan to add the 17 hornet, sense they make a 17 Ackley hornet barrel.

Krieger makes a .17 test barrel so I have an email into them about making a .17 blank.

I picked up a ruger 17 hornet and it seems to shoot well. Getting ready to reload, but haven't found the die sets available anywhere.

Only thing is, I wish ruger would fix their darn triggers. I haven't checked this on, but it feels to be in the 8 lb range.

My 22 hornet is the same model ruger and the trigger on it is better out of the box.

I'm waiting on the CZ as well. I love the 17 HMR and like the idea of reloading the 17HH. The 17 Hornet should be hell on sage rats.

Yes, Hornaday and RCBS make the die sets, but no one has them in stock, so I have a backorder in for them.