• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 / 2011 Help

We get it. You own a bunch of EBs. (y)
I think I have three, which makes it less than almost every other kind of 1911 I own, including Wessons, of which I think I have five.

But nice try.

They just aren't similar guns. Browns are not fit to particularly close tolerances, but it is all to print specs, the edges all of the controls are greatly eased, he doesn't use ramped 9mm barrels (which is an anomaly) and the default trigger has a slight roll to it.

Wessons are super close tolerances to the point of going off spec on some barrel hood measurements. The triggers have no roll, they, again an anomaly, use Clark/Para ramps in their 9mm barrels while nearly every single stack maker uses Wilson/Nowlin, and they assiduously do not blend their controls, particularly their thumb safeties. I've had long conversations with Stan Chen about the latter, and neither of us can fathom why on an otherwise well built gun.

So basically, they are both 1911s, and neither has a lot of hand work, but they could almost not be more dissimilar in philosophy, and especially now that Wesson no longer uses Brown parts.

Any other questions?

I think I have three, which makes it less than almost every other kind of 1911 I own, including Wessons, of which I think I have five.

But nice try.

They just aren't similar guns. Browns are not fit to particularly close tolerances, but it is all to print specs, the edges all of the controls are greatly eased, he doesn't use ramped 9mm barrels (which is an anomaly) and the default trigger has a slight roll to it.

Wessons are super close tolerances to the point of going off spec on some barrel hood measurements. The triggers have no roll, they, again an anomaly, use Clark/Para ramps in their 9mm barrels while nearly every single stack maker uses Wilson/Nowlin, and they assiduously do not blend their controls, particularly their thumb safeties. I've had long conversations with Stan Chen about the latter, and neither of us can fathom why on an otherwise well built gun.

So basically, they are both 1911s, and neither has a lot of hand work, but they could almost not be more dissimilar in philosophy, and especially now that Wesson no longer uses Brown parts.

Any other questions?
I/we get it. You're the 1911 expert and none of us, especially me, have a clue. You can move on now knowing your'e the 1911 king on the 'hide. I'm bowing now.

• Haha
Reactions: BoltRunner
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I know enough to identify fundamental differences between makes for sure.

You certainly don't need to be able to tell the differences between makes to know what you like to hold and what you like to shoot. But you do need to be able to if you are going to be able to say whether two things are similar or not.

Totally understand. In no, way, shape or form is a DW "similar" to an EB. Thanks for correcting my ignorance. (y)

I assume that is snark, but you are welcome!

FWIW, I think the slide/frame and barrel fit on the Wessons is enough to make them have a good bit more potential than Browns. On mine I generally just change out the sear/disco/hammer, and then install a more comfortable thumb safety. With those changes, it is pretty much perfect. You can chamfer the edges of the slide and dustcover a bit as well. Even doing that, and even if you refinish, you are still looking at less than a Brown or Wilson, and you probably have a better gun.

I understood bull was what Kimber used as a double stack design when they had one. I wish the were imported a little more. I ended up with a staccato and then started building them as well.

We have 5 STI 2011s, all 40s cause we shoot USPSA Limited. They all run great with untuned magazines. Way over 50,000 rounds, virtually no maintenance. 45s are cheaper with probably less rounds since they don’t fit a competition category.

@BoltRunner Tenicor makes a damn nice kydex rig for 2011's I have been very pleased withbtheir Velo4 for my Stacatto C2.
20220327_175831.jpg
20220327_175826.jpg

Need some help advice on a 1911/2011 I have been out of this game for a while prob 7yrs+ sold all my steel frame pistols and I'm thinking of getting a nicer 1911/2011. I'm looking for something in the 3.25" - 5" Barrel range, double stack 45acp or 9mm, and I have been looking at either the Wilson Combat SFX9, Wilson Combat EDC X9, or the BUL Armory SAS II Tac. If you guys were to buy a nicer 1911/2011 and needed to stay under $3K what would you buy and why...?
Read the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator: