• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield Armory 1911 DS Prodigy

As someone who has owned and shot a few 1911s over the years but not handled a 2011 I have to ask since I never see it talked about; isn't the grip insanely thick/wide compared to say a Glock? Maybe it's just how they always appear in photos/video.

So, you can just go look and check this, if it is actually a concern.

But, your 1911, depending upon the grip panels you use can be 1.1 to 1.3 or so inches wide.

For comparison, Wilson Combats SFX9 "2011" is 1.15", their EDC X9 "2011" is noted at 1.4", but that 1.4" is at the widest point (Safeties), which is also why, at times, you may see an sfx9 listed as the same, the actual grip width is about 1.25" on the EDC which has grip panels like a 1911.

Staccato CS is noted as 1.2" and I believe the P is 1.3"

So, the grip width on a 2011 can be fat, can also be decently thin, but similar to the 1911s you've had and the different options for them, same with many guns, CZs for example, thin grip panels will obviously be narrower than if you run lok palm swell grips. Even stippling of a poly gun can have quite an affect if one desires.

The difference in 2011 vs 1911 then, because the overall grip width at the widest point is similar, is that a 2011 is fatter for more of the grip. The 1911 frame width is only .7 something for the grip, so the widest point is really only at the peak of your grip scales, it then narrows to the front and back towards that .7 territory. 2011s aren't necessarily fatter at max thickness but are thicker for more of the total 360 degrees of the grip.

Anyways, you can then of course take those numbers and compare them to your favorite poly guns, whether Glock or HK or whatever.

Reactions: Charmingmander
Just picked up mine today. Unfortunately this one made it 50 rpunds before it became a single-shot. That being said I did go straight to the range from the shop, "dry" from the factory. Oh well, I guess well see 🤷‍♂️
I had read about people having first time range issues before getting mine. Mostly due to the frame to slide fit being rather tight and the cerakote finish. When I got mine I lubed and then spent a evening working the slide. If you do this you will see a lot of cerakote dribble out the back of the slide with the oil as you work the parts in. Good luck

Reactions: Wolf762x51
I had read about people having first time range issues before getting mine. Mostly due to the frame to slide fit being rather tight and the cerakote finish. When I got mine I lubed and then spent a evening working the slide. If you do this you will see a lot of cerakote dribble out the back of the slide with the oil as you work the parts in. Good luck
Thanks! Im hoping for the best.

I went to the range today and again made it through a mag or two before it started not going into battery. Took it down, scrubbed and lubed everything and put it back together. Runs like a champ now.

Reactions: E. Bryant

^This right here was my experience. I’d heard plenty of reviews saying the action needed to be cycled a good bit when new.

When I picked mine up, I felt a slight grittiness when working the slide. I cleaned it, oiled the rails and then cycled and dry fired while watching tv one evening. Got a bunch of dirty(cerakote) oil dribbling out the rear of the slide. Do a couple hundred cycles, wipe clean, re oil, repeat. Mine smoothed out nicely and has run flawlessly over almost 1k rounds.

IMG_0965.jpeg

70586060185__D52378F7-1D43-40FB-94CE-831E83000AC4.jpeg

70597192660__C1F97F8D-A299-48E5-9C7F-97D7FF76197C.jpeg

I also bought a Bul double stack but haven’t even shot it yet. It is buttery smooth out of the box though. There’s a definite difference in fit and finish over the Springfield.

IMG_0990.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

IMG_0992.jpeg

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpeg

Reactions: E. Bryant