• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 - what would you spend $1000 - 2000 on if you had the cash

For close to $1k, I'd pick a Colt
In the middle of your range, Dan Wesson is my 1st choice, but I like my springer too so the Trp would be a close 2nd
At the top of the range, a Baer or used Ed Brown

Why? Because I've owned all of them at some point and they've all been 100% for me. I've owned a couple other major brands that haven't been, but they shall remain nameless. All that being said I currently own a springer and a DW, but the only 1911s I'll be buying in the future will say "Berryville, AR" on the side. Another poster was correct when he said you can't spend too much on a 1911.

If you're not afraid to go used, there are always lightly used Kimbers for under 1K as well. I've got a pro crimson carry that has around 2500 rds. through it without a hiccup and it's on my hip nearly every day. I have a couple others as well and it's hard to beat the kimber for return on your dollar. I will be looking for a covert or desert warrior soon to add to the stable..

I've been turned off by Kimber also. I bought a Warrior 4-5 years ago and sold it within 2 years. Right off the bat one of the grip screw nutserts came off the frame. Had to call, got new one sent and installed it per Kimbers instructions. During this process I found large chatter marks inside the upper mag well. It's reliability wasn't too impressive to me either, with jams consistantly starting around the 105-110 rounds fired mark using 47D's or factory mags. I did do a little polishing inside but didn't help too much.

It was, however, VERY accurate and easy to shoot.

My next 1911 will be higher quality...something with outstanding reviews for reliability, accuracy and finish. It will just hurt the pocketbook more.

Last edited:
I liked the TRP. would go up to a DW Valor next and then a Wilson Combat CQB if I had the cash for one.

that said, like anything else, after owning a couple different models with different features, you find exactly what you want or don't and then a custom build is soon to follow.

as far as that goes, a springfield mil-spec sent back to SAI for safety upgrades to extended thumb and beavertail, 10-8 sights with a plain rear and tritium front, and 25lpi checkering with a flat msh would be a simple build that should have a nice fit and be a no-bs shooter.

Thanks all, going with a Springfield for sure. Looked at their custom website sheet and guarantee and that sold me. I just need to choose between starting low with the Range officer and then upgrading overtime or pay a little more and start with the TRP model. It will probably come down to which I get the best deal on below MSRP or find used for a deal.

i would try to look into holding one. the biggest complaint with the TRP is the checkering on the grip. ive seen more trophy match pistols in shops personally but they have the same 20lpi checkering. 30 lpi is more common on kimber models ive dealt with. I think the 25lpi would be about right.

also as far as the range officer is concerned, I really just don't like the big rear target sights. you may differ.

As others have stated I would put a plug in for the MC Operator where you would hit the middle of the Ranger and TRP. Although finding a great price on a used one may be a bit hard, given they are not as common.

Mine shoots great, with or without a suppressor as well.

Good call on going with the Springfield's. If I was in your shoes again I would go with a good used one and shoot it. Once you have a lot of rounds down the barrel you can have your current pistol reworked exactly the way you want or you will know exactly what you want in a new one. I have found at the range that 1911 shooters are really generous with letting others shoot a mag or so to get the feel of thier gun so you might have a better sense of what you want. Post pics of what you end up with and welcome to the 1911 club.

Thanks all, going with a Springfield for sure. Looked at their custom website sheet and guarantee and that sold me. I just need to choose between starting low with the Range officer and then upgrading overtime or pay a little more and start with the TRP model. It will probably come down to which I get the best deal on below MSRP or find used for a deal.

DW CBOB?

Extremely tough to beat the Springer TRP, which should be evident by the votes.

Les Baer's

Dan Wesson

Springer with Yo-Bo 1* pkg

If its one and done - I'd really look at the LB SRP, or a Rock River Arms (not the new polymer), after that the TRP and a bunch of ammo from monies saved.

Last edited:
you can't spend too much .....

I keep telling my wife that when it comes to any guns and she just never agrees. However, I cannot complain as she rarely ever says no.
I can see if this catches on like the rest of the guns I collect and shoot I will need to find a larger paycheck.
Whatever you do, gunner, take your time. Even tho you've got the "itch", there's millions of second-hand 1911's out there, tricked out just the way you want it. And they don't wear out. If you've got your heart set on a Wilson, watch the auction sites and troll the gun shows. Indeed, the venerable 1911 has a huge fan base, and the world is lousy with beautiful tricked out 1911's that someone else spent a lot of money on and then moved up.

Take yer' time. Save some dough. Save yer' marriage.

Last edited:
Harvey,

Excellent advice.

Marriage should be good, wife has yet to voice any concerns with the guns. Luckily she views them as investments.

However, I gotta get the AR itch a little quelled. Seems whether I want to or not will have to wait on the 1911 for a short time. Had a rifle show up that I could not pass up on. Been looking to acquire for sometime and it fell in place. I am going to take my time either way. I learned long ago after some bad purchases to wait and see and let time tell what you really want.

With the rifle I just purchased been passing up on ones I liked now for 6+ months until the price was right.

Will do the same for the 1911.

A Nighhawk or Wilson would be a great investment, and they make rock-solid guns.
On the Kimber bashing, I will admit that their old stuff was great, but their new stuff is piss-poor. I own several, the old ones (pre-II series) run like a finely tuned motor, and the new ones usually have some manner of problem (mag catch needed relocating, sloppy lockup, front sight appreciably dimmer than rear sights.) My advice on Kimber, buy something else - unless buying one used from someone you know and trust.

Springfield is usually my first recommendation for a lower price 1911. It'll cost more long term, but you can make changes as needed or as cash allows. SA usually has great slide/frame fit and I haven't seen the kinds of problems with them, even their cheaper stuff, that I have with various Kimbers.

A Nighhawk or Wilson would be a great investment, and they make rock-solid guns.
On the Kimber bashing, I will admit that their old stuff was great, but their new stuff is piss-poor. I own several, the old ones (pre-II series) run like a finely tuned motor, and the new ones usually have some manner of problem (mag catch needed relocating, sloppy lockup, front sight appreciably dimmer than rear sights.) My advice on Kimber, buy something else - unless buying one used from someone you know and trust.
Methinks Kimber's quest to market lighter pistols built with alloys and plastics (hailed as a great thing) was actually an effort in cost control. Well, if you ask me, along with the gamble of better and cheaper came an inferior product. A great big FAIL. And it's gonna take along time for Kimber to rebuild its rep.

A used HEAVY Kimber might still be a good Kimber.

Limbers don't seen to get any love but I have had great service from my 2. You hear a lot of hit or mis with kimbers. Mine are definitely hitters.

My first 1911 was a kimber custom TLE II, But I just bought a Colt XSE. Everything else aside, its a colt. I love it. it shoots well, all around a great pistol. I would love to spend the money on a colt Government GI. looks just like the original

Played with a Wilson Combat CQB the other day. The fit was amazing, and the slickest action I have ever felt on any gun (granted I have yet to put any rounds down my uncles Surgeon yet, both guns belong to him). If I come across a deal on one, I'm snagging it, even if I have to give up a kidney.

SPRINGFIELD MIL SPEC WITH GUNSMITH WORK + GLOCK, springfield loaded + glock, SPRINGFIELD TRP/OPERATOR, dan wesson, USED WILSON COMBAT, colt xse/marine pistol/rail gun.

All caps are highly recommended.

Anyone have any experience with the Colt Rail Gun?

I have one. I have been very impressed with its performance. I have fired a little over 500 rounds through it without any failures. It seems to require less cleaning and lubrication that my other 1911s. I have a DW. It’s a beautiful and well-built 1911, but it hasn't been 100% reliable. Anyone on here shot the colt rail gun and the TRP. I would be interest in knowing how they compare.

I have one. I have been very impressed with its performance. I have fired a little over 500 rounds through it without any failures. It seems to require less cleaning and lubrication that my other 1911s. I have a DW. It’s a beautiful and well-built 1911, but it hasn't been 100% reliable. Anyone on here shot the colt rail gun and the TRP. I would be interest in knowing how they compare.

I shot both the Colt Rail Gun and Springfield TRP. I bought the Colt. I also own a Springfield GI. I wanted something with a standard barrel bushing and rail. the TRP I shot was a bull barrel. So, it was between the Colt Rail Gun and Springfield MC Operator. You can't go wrong with either. People always talk about how great their Wilson or Nighthawk is, I would put the Colt and Springfield in the same category. 0 failures on both pistols. Over 1k through the Springfield and about 700 through the Colt. The TRP shoots great. As stated above, the one I shot was a bull barrel and aluminum so it has a very different feel compared to the Colt. I like steel frames. Of course this is all opinion. You may love the total opposite. Just my two cents.

I carry a pistol for work and I carry a Les Baer. I own and enjoy several others but the Baer is on my side.

In MY personal opinion and experience, the fit and finish was sub par. Not to mention QC. It seems as if you get a lot of lemons from them. I am not bashing the whole line, but I personally just do not like them, for what you are paying for, you could get an STI or a Baer. I have had quite a few friends who have all had problems with them. Feeding issues, (we tried all sorts of different mags and ammo), problems with the safety like mentioned, and loose grip safety fit. I am sure there are a lot of great running Kimbers out there, but like I mentioned, I just don't care for them, and would rather pay a few hundred more for a Baer.

I have owned over a dozen Kimbers and still own, shoot and carry them today. They have all not been without issue. Just remember that Kimber makes exponentially more 1911's than any other manufacturer, making the likelihood of an issue exponentially higher as well. If you frequent a 1911 forum, you will see issues even with custom guns like Baer and Wilson. I do appreciate your candor and speaking from experience as opposed to regurgitating the drivel from the Internet Hostage Rescue Team.

On to the OP..... Sorry

There is quite a bit of difference between a $1k 1911 and a $2k 1911. I would recommend that you either buy a Kimber Gold Combat or as recommended a used pistol built by a Custom shop. I bought an Ed Brown that was purchased and then unfired for your top end price. The Brown is perhaps a bit more stoic and classic in its design, but the craftsmanship is remarkable.

All Kimbers start the same and most of the differences are features / asthetics that do not effect the function or fit. Such is not the case with the Gold Combat. It is a noticeably better shooter than my other 5-6 Kimbers in the safe. It also comes in stainless.

Of course we want pictures after you make your selection!

I have less than 2 Gs in this thing and just ran some 'Bill drills' with it this afternoon(in the cold ass wind). I'd say a springer would probably be your best bet between 1-2 K. Get a 1911 and make sure it's a Series 70 with a JBM feed ramp(because Hilton Yam sez the Clark or Wilson/Nowlin feed ramps don't solve any problems). Learn from a good source how to maintain your 1911 and shoot it as much as possible. The 1911 is very end user intensive(unless you just set it in your safe & show it off occasionally).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 28
I want to thank everyone for their input. I finally bit the bullet and got a Springfield MC Operator. I did a trade to get it. Hope to get it in about a week, will post pics once arrives.

I like eksternal extractors. Browning fixed this on the HiPower decades ago:

Smith and Wesson SW1911TA E Series. Use your extra cash to send it off to cylinder and slide for a Level 1 job. Maybe some CT grips. Spend the rest of the money on ammo and sling some lead!

Congrats and you will be happy with it. As you get through enough rounds you will learn what you like and dont like. With that and a good smith you can really customize it. Mine all shoot about anything and I normally shoot 230 grn round nose. If you load I might suggest trying a Sierra 200 grn flat point. I like the way it shoots and the guns all like it.

Looking forward to pics!

I want to thank everyone for their input. I finally bit the bullet and got a Springfield MC Operator. I did a trade to get it. Hope to get it in about a week, will post pics once arrives.

If you have $1K to $2K to spend, I would strongly recommend taking the time to try as many as you can before you buy. Opinions are well you know....... What works best for you may or may not work well for me. Then once you have it narrowed down to a few makes and models ask for opinions of those on here to help you make your final choice. May not be what you want to hear but its the best advice I can offer you. Good Luck

Well, with the weather my father has been delayed in picking it up for me. Mother nature always has a way to show who is really in charge.

If you have $1K to $2K to spend, I would strongly recommend taking the time to try as many as you can before you buy.

It is very difficult to find a nice selection of semi-custom 1911's. This is good generic advice for picking a pistol. You can find Glocks for rent everywhere and won't have a difficult time tracking down Sigs and M&P's. HK's and FN's are a bit tougher to find. It is very easy to try a lot of these. However, once you have decided on a 1911, they are all the same and they are all different. The grip angle is all the same. The controls are generally all the same... with an extended thumb safety here, and ambi safety there, a beavertail grip safety there or checkering on the front strap and the mainspring.

Once you get past the minor differences in ergos (that can cost a lot), then you are dealing with what your tolerance is for MIM parts, how hand-fitted you want the components, and you are basing what you are getting on reputation mostly at that point. I've shot Kimbers that I would be glad to own and some I wouldn't. Same with some Springers. Once you get it down to the individual pistol, you end up trading mostly based on reputation. The difference between a $1,200 pistol and a $5,000 pistol is surprisingly small.

That tiny difference is why people get their panties all in a wad about it. The smaller a difference there is between two products and the more expensive the cost, the more people become fanboy's about their purchase decision. Check out the threads on rifle scopes. People get all bent out of shape over a bunch of pieces of equipment that basically do the same thing and seldom are the difference between a hit and a miss.

Been there and done that......

Stainless Springfield TRP / Tripp Cobra mags & lots of ammo.

It is very difficult to find a nice selection of semi-custom 1911's. This is good generic advice for picking a pistol. You can find Glocks for rent everywhere and won't have a difficult time tracking down Sigs and M&P's. HK's and FN's are a bit tougher to find. It is very easy to try a lot of these. However, once you have decided on a 1911, they are all the same and they are all different. The grip angle is all the same. The controls are generally all the same... with an extended thumb safety here, and ambi safety there, a beavertail grip safety there or checkering on the front strap and the mainspring.

Once you get past the minor differences in ergos (that can cost a lot), then you are dealing with what your tolerance is for MIM parts, how hand-fitted you want the components, and you are basing what you are getting on reputation mostly at that point. I've shot Kimbers that I would be glad to own and some I wouldn't. Same with some Springers. Once you get it down to the individual pistol, you end up trading mostly based on reputation. The difference between a $1,200 pistol and a $5,000 pistol is surprisingly small.

That tiny difference is why people get their panties all in a wad about it. The smaller a difference there is between two products and the more expensive the cost, the more people become fanboy's about their purchase decision. Check out the threads on rifle scopes. People get all bent out of shape over a bunch of pieces of equipment that basically do the same thing and seldom are the difference between a hit and a miss.

Well said.

Les Baer TRS, Springfield TRP, STI Tactical, Dan Wesson Valor

Played with a Wilson Combat CQB the other day. The fit was amazing, and the slickest action I have ever felt on any gun (granted I have yet to put any rounds down my uncles Surgeon yet, both guns belong to him). If I come across a deal on one, I'm snagging it, even if I have to give up a kidney.

Several years back when I could still bend, squat, run, etc. I started shooting some Action Pistol with my semi custom SA 1911. I was doing OK for an Old Guy and despite the occasional fail to feed the SA was doing about as good.

Then I tried a Buddies Wilson CQB. I ended up finding a LNIB CQB a short time later and have not looked back. SHOOT a WILSON or an Ed Brown...THEN make a decision. My Wilson is smooth, crazy accurate and has not failed me once.
I've got an Ed Brown Commander sized gun as well and it's as accurate as a match grade 1911! 2" or less at 25 yds and 3" at fifty yds off a bench. And thats with my lousy eyes and reflexes.

Save yourself a lot of time, and have even more time with the best...forget the Kiimbers, and the rest...go for the best and be done with it.