• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 1st bedding job curing right now

madAB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2011
SE PA
Well, my very first bedding job is in the basement curing. I used Marine-tex gray. I hope it turns out ok. I followed the thread stickied here. How long should I let it sit before popping it out? I've hears some people pull them out after about 4 hours but let them cure for 8 hours. I feel like I got good coverage but I probably could of been more liberal with the bedding. It's my first bed job on my first bolt gun so I was a little nervous.

Re: 1st bedding job curing right now

did you have any extra left over? leave a puddle. when you cant leave a dent in it with your thumbnail its pretty close to pop out. 4-5-6 hours. trim it with a razor and then put it back to cure for 24 hours. i did anyway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you have any extra left over? leave a puddle. when you cant leave a dent in it with your thumbnail its pretty close to pop out. 4-5-6 hours. trim it with a razor and then put it back to cure for 24 hours. i did anyway </div></div>

I do have leftover, It's sitting next to the gun. I'll give that a try in a little bit. Thanks.

Follow the instructions.

While most epoxies will cure enough to handle after a few hours a full cure usually doesn't take place for around 17-24 hours.

I always wait a full day.

Good luck and hope it comes out for you.

C.

I found that the leftover epoxy cured faster than the epoxy in the gun. I figured it was getting more air since it wasn't enclosed??? I might have added too much hardner, but I found that if I waited longer that 3 hours it was too hard to trim with a blade. There is usually some epoxy that will run down the back of the bedding block into the open magazine area. You can stick a exacto knife in there and poke the devcon to see if it has set up long enough to pop out for trim. It's easy to tell when it's not too hard or too soft. Like I said, mine has been just about right after 3 to 3.5 hours.

Thanks for the info guys. I think it turned out fairly well considering it was my first job.

How did it come out? I remember my fist bedding job, was nervous as well, but excited when it popped right out and how smooth it was. I use devcon and kiwi neutral as a release, never had a receiver stick.