• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1x6 Scope Advice

Downtown

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    It's rare I ask for advise here, but I'm stumped on a scope choice.

Platform is a Sig semiauto 9 inch barrel SBR in 300BO. Truck gun, so day or night shooting. I would like a daylight visible illuminated dot at 1x power. Ammo includes 110 gr Barnes and 220 subsonic suppressed. Mostly loaded with the supersonic. I've budgeted about $1000, but I've been shooting long enough to know how that goes. My long range scopes are FFP but I am undecided on the advantages of FFP vs SFP in a low power variable, as it seems a scope to be likely used at 1x or 6x. I'm leaning toward the Tango 6 1x6 SFP with horseshoe, but could be convinced otherwise. Presently, the rifle has a Accupoint 1x4 with German #4 reticle, just as a space filler.

Thanks.

really loved my 1-4 accupoint with green dot but needed a little more magnification. got the vortex razor hd 1-6 with the jm reticle (bdc). VERY popular in 3 gun. over your budget but you already know how that goes, haha. the other one i have is the bushy elite tac 1-6.5, like that as well but think the razor glass is a little better. the bushy though does have more daylight red (brighter and bigger iirc).

If you want a really bright dot in your price range, your best bet is either a used Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6x24 or a SFP Tango 6 since these can be sometimes found at exceedingly good prices.

Honestly, the scope you already have on there is a pretty nice option unless you want to mess around with shooting quite a bit further using reticle for holdover.

With 1-6x scopes, the way my recommendations have been going lately is to look at Burris RT-6 if you are on a budget or Hawke Frontier 1-6x24 if you want a more of a general purpose reticle (Athlon Midas is the same scope, I think). Once you go above that, I think Vortex Razor Gen 2 is a really proven design.

Tango6 is looking pretty good, but I have not spent enough time with the SFP version to form too many conclusions.

ILya

Spoke with Burris earlier today and if all the stars align and everything goes perfectly they may have the RT-6 in stock by July. Best is to get a pre-order in if that's a scope you're interested in.

really loved my 1-4 accupoint with green dot but needed a little more magnification. got the vortex razor hd 1-6 with the jm reticle (bdc). VERY popular in 3 gun. over your budget but you already know how that goes, haha. the other one i have is the bushy elite tac 1-6.5, like that as well but think the razor glass is a little better. the bushy though does have more daylight red (brighter and bigger iirc).

I'm still a huge fan of them, especially now that they are lower in weight. I'm thinking I'm going to grab one since we only have two left in stock right now. The Burris XTR II is a good option for a medium price 1-8 as well if you don't want to jump into Nightforce, Kahles, Swaro and Minox territory. @Downtown feel free to give us a ring at 916-670-1103 and we'd be happy to help out.

In the same boat. Slightly lower budget (know how that goes to) but when I can get my hands on them I wanna check out leupolds vx5hd 1-5 and Burris xtr ii 1-5, gonna follow and see what everyone else has for suggestions.

Are the trijicons popular at all?

With a $1000 budget the XTR II 1-8 is very hard to beat. Made by LOW in Japan, and meets all your criteria with an extra 2x on the top. This comes in SFP or FFP. I've run a handful of SFP 6x optics in 3 gun, but definitely like the FFP in 8x. I loved it when I went 4x to 6x, loved it even more going SFP 6x to FFP 8x.

In the 1-6, as mentioned, the RT-6 is a super strong contender and comes in well under budget. This optic punches above it's weight class.

With a $1000 budget the XTR II 1-8 is very hard to beat. Made by LOW in Japan, and meets all your criteria with an extra 2x on the top.

In the 1-6, as mentioned, the RT-6 is a super strong contender and comes in well under budget. This optic punches above it's weight class.

As much as I like XTR II, I am not sure it is optimal for a short barrel Blackout given a BDC reticle aimed at 5.56. It can be used for that, of course, but given the distance limitations of the cartridge, I would probably lean toward a 1-6x design with brighter reticle illumination like the Razor Gen 2.

The XTR II is pretty much my default choice right now for an accurate 5.56 carbine.

ILya

Reactions: FatBoy
    The subsonics certainly drop out of there pretty fast.

Oddly enough, I've never shot supersonic loads through a Blackout. So you may be right, I'm not sure how that BDC would correspond to the drops.

I have recently been looking into a 1-6 for my ruger mpr and so far I’ve narrowed it down between the Burris Rt 6 and the primary arms 1-6 gen 3. Both look very nice and are priced for a budget. I looked at a vortex strike eagle yesterday in a gun shop and was actually surprised how clear it looked. Haven’t read up much on it though. Still sticking with the two mentioned above for a budget optic

Shooting Subs out of a .300blk is going to be a trying task at range. You're going to want some sort of Christmas tree reticle. Even if it is a caliber Specific BDC (leupoldmk6) for example it'll at least give you reference aiming points regardless of whether or not the range is off. Beyond that you're going to get stuck with a terrible 300blk double sided drop reticle or a horus. Pretty significant cost difference there.

Might also consider a vx6 leupold, possibly with a firedot reticle if daylight bright is desired. I've run a vx6 Firedot spr in 3gun for a few years now pretty happily, although haven't checked their reticle options lately.

Also agree on the Razor being a popular and solid choice, although a fair bit heavier vs the Leupold.

PS - I absolutely love the vx6 motion detection for reticle illumination. Shuts off after 5 mins of no movement, back on before you can get eyes through the optic. Wish this was a behavior every manufacturer cloned.

ETA - tablet auto-correct sucks. Hopefully it's more understandable now. :-/

Last edited:
    Have you looked at the Vortex PST GenII? It has a decent mil reticle for holdover and a nice bright dot that is daylight bright. Its not Razor clear glass, but comparing it to an older S&B ShortDot, the PST GenII holds its own for a good price.

Might also consider a vx6 leupold, possibly with a firedot reticle if super bright fit is desired. I've run a vx6 Firedot spr in 3gun for a few years now pretty happily, although haven't checked their reticle options lately.

Also agree on the Razor being a popular and solid choice, although a fair bit heavier vs the Leupold.

PS - I absolutely love the vx6 motion detection for reticle illumination. Shuts off after 5 mins of no movement, back on before you can get eyes through the optic. Wish this was a behavior every manufacturer cloned.

ETA - tablet auto-correct sucks. Hopefully it's more understandable now. :-/

Unfortunately I have not looked at it much and I will not take it on until I work through my current backlog. It is on my list of scopes to get to.

ILya

My 300 sbr just got handed down a pst 1-4 with mil reticle. The switch happened because the queen ar got a new Razor hd-e 1-6 (the lighter one that vortex just released). Before switching I played the "what if" game. I really think even the lighter Razor would be a little more scope size/weight-wise than I'd want on the handy little sbr. That's a matter of personal taste, and you might be happy with the bigger scope. I mention it because it's not far from your price range if you haggle and it's comparable in size/weight to the gen 2 pst 1-6.

For now I'm having a lot of fun with the pst quietly ringing steel. It's more fun than the red dot (T2 for sale in classifieds!) that used to be on the sbr.

Yeah, I'd like a better solution in the same size/weight range, but you know how that goes...