• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 2.5-10x32 nxs Good scope for size, weight and $?

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
My older eyes are really straining under the 3.5x Acog at distance. I want a light, clear compact medium priced scope for my lmt 308. I have read that the 2.5x10 scope is not very bright at sunrise/sunset or low light. I also read the lowest brightness setting is too bright. Are these the only valid complaints? Pros/Cons?

Would this scope work well for an lmt 308?

Re: 2.5-10x32 nxs Good scope for size, weight and $?

if you plan to shoot paper - don't buy mil-dot version - the reticle is too wide to look at holes at 100 yards distance - NP-R1 or NP-R2 is better.

if you plan to shoot steel plates or hunt - mil-dot + mrad turrets are fine.

anyway - try to find the scope at dealer and look thru it.

and if possible check Kelbly's March 1-10x and 2.5-25x scopes - they are in the same weight league (but they are much more pricey i think at your country)

cheers.

The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO.

I have had mine for about two weeks and love it. Mine has mil/mil and have had no problems shooting paper. I think the optic is very clear (compared to the Leupold I'm used to using).I have only shot out to 100 yds and could make out bullet holes on the redfield targets I use. I did notice paralax at 50 yds against the target but non at 100 yds. This is on the 10x setting and it went awaay with less power at 50 yds.
The brightness for the lit reticle is adjustable by turning a screw under the battery cap. (So the directions say).

I would deff. buy another if and when the need arises.

I have mine on a 223ai hunting rig, and it's about perfect. The glass comments are always subjective, so I'll just say that it works really well for my use. Make sure that you get a a zero stop if you plan on dialing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO. </div></div>

Really? A smaller obj. is better? I would think the larger 32 is better. Is this a weight based opinion?

Reactions: Itsadryheat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO. </div></div>

Really? A smaller obj. is better? I would think the larger 32 is better. Is this a weight based opinion? </div></div>

The 24 is 2 inches shorter than the 32, and it's lighter. The daylight advantage of the 32 is only marginally better - tests have shown the 32 gives you about 3 minutes of extra shooting time over the 24. IMO the smaller the scope on an SBR the better. The 2.5-10x24 is probably the best scope on the market for its size and price.

Interesting I didn't see where the op said he wanted to put it on an SBR... Nonetheless, the eyebox in the X24 is miserably small and not well suited for target shooting IMO. It serves the purpose it was designed for very well, but even those folks are moving along. Given that he wants to put it on a .308 I think the OP would be better served by the X32. I think the glass in the NEW Leupold Mark4 3.5-10 is better than the Nightforce and could serve you well in low light, but size is a tradeoff (weight is essentially the same). You can find the Leupold for much cheaper than some folks on here would like admit, which makes it harder to beat.

Then the 32 would be better suited.

I`m yet to be convinced by Leupold scopes. Daily threads on this forum and others ask the Leupold vs. NF question and every time the overwhelming majority of responders choose NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I`m yet to be convinced by Leupold scopes. Daily threads on this forum and others ask the Leupold vs. NF question and every time the overwhelming majority of responders choose NF. </div></div>

That's because a lot of folks on here haven't tested the new line of Mark4 scopes, they are much better than the previous two generations. I felt I was getting biased answers, so I bought one and am very happy with it---in fact it replaced my Nightforce on my precision AR. The Nightforce is a good scope (resides on my 6.8 hunting rig), but the Leupold has a few advantages (adjustable parallax and better glass) that make it hard to beat in this segment, especially if you can get the right price.

The new Mk4 scope I bave seen is in the $3k range. I'm not sure I'm prepared to take the gamble on a Leupold when I can buy an NF for $2k.

The entire Mark 4 line was changed in July of 2010. Glass coatings and illumination were updated and new Mil based (M5) knobs and FFP were added as options.

The scopes you are referring with the excessive price tags were built to satisfy military contracts, they are not available to the public in any significant numbers right now, which is driving the prices.

You can get one of the Mark4 3.5-10X40, TMR, M5 scopes for ~$1200 if you look around. The closest the Nightforce gets in a comparable package is ~$1500. Your trade is illumination for FFP. If you wanted illumination you could get the SFP illuminated version with M1 knobs and have them upgraded in a couple months to the M5's. I've seen these scopes for ~$1150 (+$75 for the M5 knobs)--still considerably less then the comparable Nightforce. If you can qualify for the Mil/LE discounts then you are talking ~$1000 for either of these options.

But let me be clear to the OP, the Nightforce 2.5-10X32 is an excellent scope that will remain in my collection for a long time. I do plan to have it upgraded to the high speed turrets and zero stop once Nightforce starts offering the option again. I recommend getting both of those options to start in order to eliminate the hassle of upgrading later---they are very important if you turn knobs regularly.

I've had a few of the 2.5-10X32s. Excellent scopes. Compact for what they are, made in the USA, and have Nightforce glass, which I consider to be way above average. Really, judging glass is very subjective. I never did have any problems using my scope in low light. Not at all. As for the reticle being too bright, I didn't find that either.

FYI, the brightness adjustment on the compact NXS scopes is not under the battery cover. The brightness is adjusted using the knob (on the left side) that is in the same place as the parallax adjustment is on the larger NXS scopes.

In short, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope.

Reactions: Itsadryheat

Thanks

When I look at the exit pupil spec of the 24 vs 32 there is not much difference.

Eye relief 24/32 = 3.7" same
Exit pupil 24@ 2.5x= 10.1mm
Exit pupil 24@ 10x= 2.5mmmm
Exit pupil 32@ 2.5x= 13.3mm
Exit pupil 32@ 10x= 3.3mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The entire Mark 4 line was changed in July of 2010. Glass coatings and illumination were updated and new Mil based (M5) knobs and FFP were added as options.

The scopes you are referring with the excessive price tags were built to satisfy military contracts, they are not available to the public in any significant numbers right now, which is driving the prices.

You can get one of the Mark4 3.5-10X40, TMR, M5 scopes for ~$1200 if you look around. The closest the Nightforce gets in a comparable package is ~$1500. Your trade is illumination for FFP. If you wanted illumination you could get the SFP illuminated version with M1 knobs and have them upgraded in a couple months to the M5's. I've seen these scopes for ~$1150 (+$75 for the M5 knobs)--still considerably less then the comparable Nightforce. If you can qualify for the Mil/LE discounts then you are talking ~$1000 for either of these options.

But let me be clear to the OP, the Nightforce 2.5-10X32 is an excellent scope that will remain in my collection for a long time. I do plan to have it upgraded to the high speed turrets and zero stop once Nightforce starts offering the option again. I recommend getting both of those options to start in order to eliminate the hassle of upgrading later---they are very important if you turn knobs regularly. </div></div>

I agree, the numbers are similar but the difference in the eye box above 8X is noticeable. What matters are the relative numbers, and when they are considered the exit pupil is 25% (obvious since 24 is 75% of 32) smaller on the by X24. Buy both and try them, then sell the one you like less --that's what I did...

Love mine, may be moving it to a new hunting rifle. NPR1, Uni-Mount.

gun072.jpg

gun070.jpg

gun076.jpg

2.5-10x24 NXS on my 556 race-gun

DSC04510.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

That is a nice setup Sititunga. I was considering something similar at one time, and have been eyeballing a JP again now that they have the side charger for .223 and 6.5G.

Thanks. Same here I've been thinking about getting their AR10 equivalent with the sidecharger in 260. I have a JP in 6.5G which is a nice gun also. There's no doubt JP build very nice guns.

Mine is on a Noveske Rogue Hunter 6.8SPC (mid-weight Recon Barrel). It's a hunting rig and normally doesn't wear a bipod but I used it in a competition this past weekend, and also made a few hit's at 1K with it.

68.jpg

You will love the NF, I have two 2.5-10's, one on my JP 3 gun rig, the other on my DPMS 308, it works very well on both platforms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is on a Noveske Rogue Hunter 6.8SPC (mid-weight Recon Barrel). It's a hunting rig and normally doesn't wear a bipod but I used it in a competition this past weekend, and also made a few hit's at 1K with it.
</div></div>

What 6.8 bullets were you using for 1k? My Grendel seems to be good at 1k.

I was using factory Hornady 110BTHP.

It's not good at 1K, but I was able to get regular hits on a steel torso once I dialed it in (16-17 hits out of 25 shots). It took 10 or so rounds for me to dial it in; the JBM data was very close on elevation, the wind just wasn't behaving. The rifle is very accurate with this ammo, as I had no problem keeping decent groups out to 700 and excellent groups inside 600. Beyond that it was indirect fire (52 MOA at 1K---haha).

The scope tracked flawlessly, and performed well even when I ran out of elevation at 52MOA. Also I don't have any problems with parallax except at 100yds (set parallax free at 100M).

That's still very good going - nice shooting!

I have both and except for the size difference, prefer the 32

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO. </div></div>

Do you know why it is no longer available

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO. </div></div>

Do you know why it is no longer available</div></div>

It was replaced by the X32---basically Nightforce redesigned it because folks were complaining about the small eye box on the X24.

I think the 24 is still available to the military - that's what NF told me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO. </div></div>

Do you know why it is no longer available </div></div>

I can't resist showing off my "one off" anodized scope finish on NF 2.5-10x24/AR shorty
grin.gif
As far as I know it's the only one around.

DSC00237.jpg
DSC00240.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 24 is still available to the military - that's what NF told me.</div></div>

It is, the military just hasn't ordered any in while [See Here-8 posts from bottom]... I think the new Leupold Mark 8, or it's equivalent (when they actually hit the market) will likely take this role. The X24 or X32 are great DMR scopes, but they limit the person's usefulness in close quarters. Hopefully Nightforce will put out a competitive 1-8 soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO. </div></div>

I can't resist showing off my "one off" anodized scope finish on NF 2.5-10x24/AR shorty
grin.gif

DSC00237.jpg
DSC00240.jpg
</div></div>

That is very nice, who anodized it for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 24 is still available to the military - that's what NF told me.</div></div>

It is, the military just hasn't ordered any in while [See Here-8 posts from bottom]... I think the new Leupold Mark 8, or it's equivalent (when they actually hit the market) will likely take this role. The X24 or X32 are great DMR scopes, but they limit the person's usefulness in close quarters. Hopefully Nightforce will put out a competitive 1-8 soon. </div></div>

Hate to open up a debate on an other thread but I think the S&B 1-8 might also get a look in especially given the price differential between the S&B and Leupold. Not sure the military has the stomach to spend huge coin on a scope like the CQBSS in any quantity given pending budget cuts.

It looks like they have a few contracts in the pipe already, guess the military isn't as price sensitive as you think... Unfortunately we can only see items issued for public bid, there are more in the works and will be even more when fallout funding starts coming available early summer--this type of optic is a big wishlist item. Remember this optic wasn't available prior to the budget build for FY11, so it is "extra" funds buying the scopes listed in the contracts below. FY12 there will be budgeted money for these upgrades.

Also, remember the Marine Corp just put S&B 3-12 PMII's on their sniper system. And the Army just contracted for the new Mark 4's on their sniper system.

Again I'm not bashing the Nightforce 2.5-10--it's a good optic, but companies are innovating to meet the demands of the military and WE will eventually win because of it. Look at NV and Thermal optics, a few years ago they were priced incredibly high so that military contracts would pay the R&D costs. Today they are priced much better (still out of the reach of most) because they can meet external demand without scaling, and because the military contracts are fulfilled and initial investments re-paid.

One additional thought: The S&B may be an awesome scope for the money when it comes out, but it doesn't exist yet--so Leupld has the first mover advantage. Also, the name aversion for Leupold isn't as bad in the military as it is on some discussion forums, in fact it is preferred by some. So I don't think assuming that S&B will automatically have pull as a preferred brand is necessarily a reality.

Steve123, man that is very pretty. lwrkeysfisher, I believe NF is currently making a run of the NXS 2.5-10x24 for the military, well I am hoping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO. </div></div>

grin.gif

DSC00237.jpg
DSC00240.jpg
</div></div>
DSC00239.jpg

That is very nice, who anodized it for you? </div></div>

Thanks guys! It came from Nightforce anodized like that.I assume it was a prototype finish they were experimenting with but decided not to offer.Mike at CS tactical sold it to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NXS 2.5-10x24 is better than the 32 IMO. </div></div>

grin.gif

DSC00237.jpg
DSC00240.jpg
</div></div>

Go ahead rub it in. You still have stupid grass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys! It came from Nightforce anodized like that.I assume it was a prototype finish they were experimenting with but decided not to offer.Mike at CS tactical sold it to me. </div></div>

At times I still miss that scope.

We have some to the NF NXS 2.5-10x32mm in stock at this time with the NPR2 and MIL-DOT.

http://www.cstactical.com/Nightforce/OPT...25-10x32mm.html

Mike @ CST

I own two 2.5-10x24's. One is a Mil-dot and the other is NPR2. I plan to have the mil-dot changed to NPR1 as soon as possible.

The one thing i noticed when comparing leupolds to my 2.5-10x24s is the lack of eye relief on the NF's. i have both of them mounted exactly were i want on the ARs so its a non-issue.

SPR
DSCN3541.jpg

DSCN3464.jpg

DSCN3465.jpg

.300 BLK SBR
DSCN3539.jpg

Those are nice looking rigs Creature. I really think the Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 is hard to beat for an SPR. The 1-8 may be the ticket, though it's a little rich for my blood at this point (I'm cheap and like my personal use optics to cost <$1500).

As for the NF 2.5-10X24 scopes they are really hard for me to get behind, the NF 2.5-10X32 is quite a bit easier. The small eye box could be where your eye relief issues are coming from (published eye relief is the same). The Leupold 3.5-10's eye relief is variable; however, I have mine mounted so that I can maintain a consistent cheek weld no matter the power setting is---it just took playing with it a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are nice looking rigs Creature. I really think the Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 is hard to beat for an SPR. The 1-8 may be the ticket, though it's a little rich for my blood at this point (I'm cheap and like my personal use optics to cost <$1500).

As for the NF 2.5-10X24 scopes they are really hard for me to get behind, the NF 2.5-10X32 is quite a bit easier. The small eye box could be where your eye relief issues are coming from (published eye relief is the same). The Leupold 3.5-10's eye relief is variable; however, I have mine mounted so that I can maintain a consistent cheek weld no matter the power setting is---it just took playing with it a little. </div></div>

I have a Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 M1 on a .308 bolt and am happy with it. I will say though, leupold chooses to ignore the need for a MOA based reticle in use with MOA knobs. i never understood this and favor the NPR1/2 reticles over any by leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 M1 on a .308 bolt and am happy with it. I will say though, leupold chooses to ignore the need for a MOA based reticle in use with MOA knobs. i never understood this and favor the NPR1/2 reticles over any by leupold.</div></div>

Agreed. I am a big fan of MOA/MOA and have a NPR2 in my NF. I think Leupold's primary focus is on military contracts, and the military wants mil based reticles in its optics. I found it telling that Leupold introduced .1 Mil Knobs (M5) just after S&B got the Marine Corps contract. Hopefully, this factory visit by LL will help foster the dialog that will result in some new options for the general shooting community.