• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

2 Questions

Slim Chance

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2014
Adairsville, Ga
1. Has anyone tried Lapua brass with small primer pockets in 308? If so, how did it compare to brass with large primer pockets? Any difference in pressure signs when loaded the same?

2. I have noticed in reloading several different cartridges that there seems to be a sweet spot at .5 to 1.0 grains UNDER max. This is with different powders and bullet weights.

Can't help you with #1, as I only have the large primer pocketed 308 brass here.

For #2, you'll usually find a low velocity node and a higher velocity node, if you fiddle around enough.

Which works best for you, I can't say.

Chris

Thanks. I've not pushed for max loads because nothing I shoot can tell a difference in a hundred fps.

No sense trying to eke out that last foot per second and banging things harder, if you don't need to redline things.

With the 338LM, I've always suggested people load that cartridge to the distance that they'll be shooting, to save on throat erosion and wear and tear on the rifle/shooter.

I guess this would hold true for 308 shooters, but to a lessor extent?

Chris

Some have said that they get a bit longer case life out of the small primer 308 Palma cases. I haven't yet tried them.

RMD

Last edited:
2 Questions

Don't know about the lapua brass but I used the Remington BR brass in my 95 Palma chamber rifle for Palma and I get about 100fps more than my Winchester brass with the same load and have fired them 20x and brass still good. BTW I did anneal the neck after five firings and I have a .334 neck in that chamber reamer and size to .330

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk