• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

204 Ruger - yay or nay?

SMTGWKD

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Been thinking of doing a 204 Ruger since my buddies started smacking prairie dogs a year or two ago. Thought it to complete an upper and use it for chucks, p dogs, even rabbits with a thermal.

What do you think - worth it or not? I have a bunch of 5.56 rifles, Grendels, ARCs, and Creedmoors.

Have you priced Ammo? I looked a few weeks ago online and couldn’t find anything.
Screenshot 2022-01-13 161015.jpg

yeesh.

Totally - I reload, but even finding brass is apparently very difficult. I like the idea of the 20 Practical, but have a 204 ruger barrel in the mail that I'm deciding whether or not to send back (18" Wilson Combat).

I have a ton of 5.56 brass that I could make into the 20 practical, but not sure how to tool up for it?

Totally - I reload, but even finding brass is apparently very difficult. I like the idea of the 20 Practical, but have a 204 ruger barrel in the mail that I'm deciding whether or not to send back (18" Wilson Combat).

I have a ton of 5.56 brass that I could make into the 20 practical, but not sure how to tool up for it?
All.that is required is a bushing die to squeeze the neck ID to .20 cal. The easiest "wildcat" ever. I use 2 bushings in a redding .223 small base die. Change out the expander assembly for .20 cal and you are set.

This 20 Practical really has me thinking...

So far I've purchased: Wilson Combat Barrel, 32 Grain Vmax bullets, and an RCBS 204 Ruger Die Set. Can I work the 204 RCBS into the equation with some modification to use for a practical? I already have an RCBS .223 die set as well...

If so, I would only need a barrel, correct?

Alright - how about shooting a 35 grain Hornady or berger .223 out of a 20" barrel?

I'd never really considered pushing something like that.

Should get close to 3900 fps I would imagine which is faster than an 18" 204 variant.

Thoughts? Maybe I'm overthinking this but keeping with a 223 seems much easier.

Just an FYI, Magpul AR mags don’t work. I use 20rd Colt mags. Not enough room internally due to the shoulder of the 204

.204’s have more body taper than the 20 practical/.223, which may cause issues. Never tried it in an AR mag myself, just AICS .223 pattern mags.

My go-to squirrel/PD gun is a 19” 20 Practical(bolt). I shoot 39 gr blitzkings at 3560. Absolute hammer. Got about 2k kills with it and still going strong. Tested 32 vs 39 quite a bit. Other than a few clicks of elevation, the 39’s smoke the 32’s in real world. Getting ready to spin up a long barreled practical soon.

Reactions: supercorndogs
20 prac over .204 ruger all day
less powder same performance 32gr varmageddon 25.8gr Benchmark 4050fps 22" rem700
Does spectacular things to rodents out to 500yds
Oh yeah FREE BRASS!

I think I'm with you - I'm pretty sure Wilson will let me trade the 18" 204 for a 20" 223 barrel.

Just too much minutia for not much gain, it seems.

Now the question is fluted or straight for longer strings of fire?

Straight barrel is what I run. Weight is good for less movement and it’s cheaper.

Been running bolt guns, but between the 20 cals and 223 I much prefer the 20. I have owned 2 20 tacs and 2 204’s, and 2 223. While the 223 is easy, the 20’s are way more fun, superbly accurate, and wicked fast! Hammer yotes, explosive on crows and pdogs, and 0 absolutely 0 recoil.

Just spent some good time researching - it's either a 20 Practical or a long barrel 223. Sounds like I have all components for the 20 Practical - so long as xbr8208 works.

Ultimately, the fact that 204 doesn't feed from pmags and the availability of brass killed it.

40 tac? Or 40pract?
I guess without looking into it the 40 practical is just a neck down 223 with the same shoulder?
I just formed about 80 brass out of 223 into 17 rem today(was a straight once through the RCbsbody/neck die)for my A.R. 15 build.:

By the way I looked at prices for 204 Ruger brass and it’s like over a dollar a piece I saw some today 250 brass pieces= 260$ no way am I going to be doing that I’m already doing that with too many others especially when I can just find 223/556 brass all over the place for free....

Who makes air 15 barrels in 20 practical?

20 (not 40 - Im guessing talk to text) Practical.

From a quick Google search, looks like barrel makers are:

Compass Lake
X-Caliber
White Oak
Black Hole Weaponry
McGowan

Last edited:
Reactions: Halfnutz
.204’s have more body taper than the 20 practical/.223, which may cause issues. Never tried it in an AR mag myself, just AICS .223 pattern mags.

My go-to squirrel/PD gun is a 19” 20 Practical(bolt). I shoot 39 gr blitzkings at 3560. Absolute hammer. Got about 2k kills with it and still going strong. Tested 32 vs 39 quite a bit. Other than a few clicks of elevation, the 39’s smoke the 32’s in real world. Getting ready to spin up a long barreled practical soon.
I have been whacking a lot of them over the last year with my 20 Practical. I was shooting 32g Noslers at 3700 I added another grain of WC844 and got them going 3900fps, 18" barrel. I could not tell a difference between the loads really, neither on target or on animals. I think I am pushing my luck using the 27.5 charge and plan on going back to the 26.5 charge. Its a pretty fun to shoot, about all you can feel is the bolt running when you pull the trigger. Mine is not very heavy either, .750 most of the way to the barrel extension.

The first one with all the misses is the newer load before rezero. All the misses are left and not high, the picture is not oriented. The second one was 26.5 a couple weeks prior after the first couple hundred rounds to see if the zero was still the same. I like, but i am not sure what the practical advantages are over just shooting lighter bullets in a 223. For me it was 32g noslers for like 6 bucks per 100.

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Lazyninja
Where do you find reasonable brass for the 204s?
There isn’t great brass for the 204, but the stuff there is seems to be okay and shoot week. Ultimately I switched to the 20 tactical though. Lapua was making brass for Dakota at the time, and it’s easy to make off 223 rem. Steeper shoulder, wicked speeds. 35’s at 3950-4100 and 39 blitzkings at 3900-4000

Reactions: RTH1800
618v7u.jpg

Which company spun your barrel?
McGowen on my 20 Practical if you are asking me. My WOA 223 barrel hammers also. Same with my Criterion 6.5g. I know WOA has 20 Prac, I don't think Criterion does, but rifle has really surprised me. Its another light barreled hunting rifle too. I choose McGowen because everyone else only had heavier contours for the 20 practical, and i wanted something lighter than SPR.

I have been whacking a lot of them over the last year with my 20 Practical. I was shooting 32g Noslers at 3700 I added another grain of WC844 and got them going 3900fps, 18" barrel. I could not tell a difference between the loads really, neither on target or on animals. I think I am pushing my luck using the 27.5 charge and plan on going back to the 26.5 charge. Its a pretty fun to shoot, about all you can feel is the bolt running when you pull the trigger. Mine is not very heavy either, .750 most of the way to the barrel extension.

The first one with all the misses is the newer load before rezero. All the misses are left and not high, the picture is not oriented. The second one was 26.5 a couple weeks prior after the first couple hundred rounds to see if the zero was still the same. I like, but i am not sure what the practical advantages are over just shooting lighter bullets in a 223. For me it was 32g noslers for like 6 bucks per 100.
I went back and forth between 32 bk’s and the 39’s. I tracked hits between the two, and always found my hit percentage went up with 39’s, mostly due to less windage. I dont think there’s a night and day difference between it and the 223 with same weight bullets. A little BC bump, and what seems like a big increase in airtime and explosiveness on squirrels.

Last trip of last year, a friend and I shot on a single alfalfa pivot for the whole day and whacked a little over 800 squirrels combined. What a day! My buddy was so impressed with my 20P, he had me build him a custom on a Tenacity action.

I shoot 204 Ruger out of the same WC 18" barrel. 27.7 grains of h4895 under 32 grain vmax fives me 3780 with SR primers, 3820 with #41s. Norma brass.

I shoot .204 in a heavy AR with Baer barrel and .20 Tac in a heavy Borden action bolt gun. Both 20”.
I cannot tell the difference.
I will never run out of ammo or components for either.

I have no problems feeding 204 through any of my ar15 mags. Maybe something with the magpul specifically. 20 Practical is best if you reload. If you want to get wild go 20x6.8spc. Be careful on which twist rate you get, the 20's get picky on fast twist and heavy bullets. I wish Berger still made the 50gr 20 caliber bullets.

Alright - here's the update. Returned the Bullets, Dies, and Barrel. I'm down to the following:

20" 20 Practical OR 20" 223

Which would you steer me to and, if a 20 Practical, which barrel maker?

Which twist and gas system if I plan to shoot 32-35 in the Practical or 35-40 in the 223?

THANK YOU for steering me away from 204 Ruger. Based on my circumstances that would have been the wrong decision!

Compass lake did mine 20P barrel. Dogtowns are running around 3900fps. Hardly any recoil and an absolute hammer
E511BE9C-EBD2-4AA1-9958-90B2EFA6906F.jpeg

Attachments

• A261DA65-9EEA-4E03-A917-9D8E1D2B219A.jpeg
    A261DA65-9EEA-4E03-A917-9D8E1D2B219A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Compass lake did mine 20P barrel. Dogtowns are running around 3900fps. Hardly any recoil and an absolute hammerView attachment 7784710
I have shot a .204 in a custom bolt gun, for 15 years. I have shot upwards of 1000 rock chucks with 32 g blitz and 32 g Hornady V max. My go to varmint gun. I dont see that changing anytime soon. Having so much fun that I have been neglecting my .222, .223, 6BR guns.

Reactions: SWgeezer
Compass lake, Black hole, and White Oak have all been mentioned as being top notch for .20.
Very Happy with my WOA. In my experience of it is listed as backorder, the wait was not bad.

Thank you for the reply
20 (not 40 - Im guessing talk to text) Practical.

From a quick Google search, looks like barrel makers are:

Compass Lake
X-Caliber
White Oak
Black Hole Weaponry
Thank you for the reply appreciate it that helps. When I was searching I couldn’t find anything

Been thinking of doing a 204 Ruger since my buddies started smacking prairie dogs a year or two ago. Thought it to complete an upper and use it for chucks, p dogs, even rabbits with a thermal.

What do you think - worth it or not? I have a bunch of 5.56 rifles, Grendels, ARCs, and Creedmoors.
I love it and I reload for it although cases are very hard to come by. I have another prospect for you to consider: think about the .20 practical. It uses .223 cases, still shoots .20 bullets and you get almost identical velocities and accuracy using less powder. Internet has uppers for them.

Seems with all the love for the .20 Practical manufacturers would be chambering rifles for it and someone would make custom dies to make it simple.

Seems with all the love for the .20 Practical manufacturers would be chambering rifles for it and someone would make custom dies to make it simple.
I called redding a couple years ago and they will make dies to order, I think the set was around 300

No need for custom dies for .20 Practical:

Redding Type S Full Length Bushing Die - .223 Rem (times 2 if you want a separate die for each bushing)
Remove 223 de-capping rod and replace with 20 cal. de-capping rod and expander ball assembly (Redding Part #14206)
Step down with .233 "ish" bushing
Finish with .225 or .226 bushing depending on neck thickness and desired neck tension.
Seat bullets with the regular .223 seating die.

There are specific dies for .20 Tactical which has a different shoulder.

For Load data use .20 Tactical which a little is available from Sierra, Berger and Hornady that I know of.

Reactions: SMTGWKD
Kind of pointless when all you have to do is put a smaller bushing and/or a 20cal expander ball in a 223 bushing die.

204 Ruger with 35-40 gr peace pills is an absolute hammer on any kind of "varmint"

Big fan of the .20 I shoot ar and bolt .204R
I have enjoyed years of readily available ammo and components. .20 practical looks great as well, just a little less performance and a little more work

My 204 ruger feeds awesome with Lancer mags. Pmags you can modify to work but not worth the hassle. Most all steel mags work. My 204 ruger is a 26" +2 woa and can get almost same fps as a 24" bolt gun running 40gr vmax. The bolt gun is getting swapped to a 26" barrel when the current barrel is toast. 1 in 10 twist is nice for 39 gr and heavier.

The 20 practical is equal in a 20" or shorter barrel. Not enough barrel length to see the gains of the 204. So it depends what size rifle you want. I think most guys would like one of each if they tried them.

If you want to anchor coyotes never had a runner with 40 gr vmax. The 32 gr I have seen some run a bit. Anything smaller either bullet works. I run 40 gr only now for wind drift.

Reactions: RTH1800
I have 4 - AR15's, 3 of which are .223 caliber. 2 of the sticks are 26" WOA varmint weigh barrels, the other one is an 18" Lothar Walther. I decided to build another AR15. I selected another WOA 26" varmint barrel, this time in .204 Ruger. It is a hammer! It just flat out shoots! The only downside is it copper fowls faster than any of the .223 builds I have. If I had to choose just one build for prairie dogs, it would be the .204 Ruger!

I have fired thousands of rounds through .204 caliber barrels in .204R, 20 Tac and 20/250. No more issue with copper fouling than in any other caliber. Might have something to do with internal bore finish? Will @Frank Green comment on this?