• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

208 A-MAX 300ultra test, new video,

MT300RUM

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
Kalispell Mt
Well i have been wondering about the 208 A-MAX & retumbo for the 300RUM since i heard hornady came out with the 208, but haven't heard much about them for the RUM nor could i find any data for this combo, and ive asked everywhere to no avail, so i finally bit the bullet so to speak, and ordered a 100 of them, and going off old loads ive used for 210 bergers i loaded 50 rounds in 5 round 1/2 grain bumps starting at 89.5 retumbo ending w/ 94.0 grabbed the gun and went to the spot i can shoot closest to my house, but can only get out to 175yds, started off w/ 89.5 and was not impressed, until i hit 93.0 and found the sweet spot, i think i found my new combo, these groups were not shot from a bench, or even a sand bag, but off of a folded blanket on the hood of the truck at 175yds, now i don't shoot for score nor do i even know how to properly measure a group, maybe someone here can tell me what these groups would score, i shoot longrange out to 1000yds about once a week, but not for group i like to shoot plastic containers filled with colored water, it's just way more fun for me than punching holes in paper,
these are the 93.0 & 93.5 groups at 175yds, i hope this helps someone looking for the same load i was looking for..
300rum064-1.jpg

300rum063.jpg

Re: 208 A-MAX 300ultra test

I'd say they both look great. You measure outside edge of the 2 holes that are the farthest apart, and subtract bullet diameter to get group size.

What is your rifle/scope setup?

I love my .300RUM as well, although I shoot 210 Bergers and have not shot the 208 A-max's.

I shoot the same load myself out of a KMW built rifle w/ a 28" krieger.
It will hold 1/2 moa to 600 (farthest i've shot it) when I do my part.

Well i would have to say this load works for me, after shooting the 93.0 & 93.5 RETUMBO w/ the 208 A-MAXs, i split the dif and went with 93.3, and loaded up 50 in new weight sorted nosler custom brass, and went to the place i shoot long range, we set targets at 300 400 500 600 700 800 900 1000 1200 yds for MOA adjustment data, all targets were large carboard with 8" peel and stick blaze orange, except for the 1200yd it was a full culligan water bottle with the peel and stick, after getting all my elevation data out to 1000yds worked out, all that was left was the jug at 1200yds i dialed in 24.7 moa and let one go, elevation was perfect but my windage was off to the right side i dialed in for a 10 mile an hour wind and then this happened, i know luck played it's part too, but after seeing what this load did at all the other yardages, i wasn't all that shocked, this was the longest shot i have ever taken in my life, and after watching that jug explode at 1200 i'm hooked, the shot measured 1.221 from center of bull, if you want to see the shot here it is on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnX8vBBJ-Oo

300rum072.jpg

It is a trued new 700 action, tubbs oversized lug, 30"rock creek 1/10 5R 1.350 at the lug and 0.980 at the jp brake, tubbs speedlock, single shot follower, R&D trigger work and tac knob, bedded in a McM A5 fully adjst, 20 MOA badger base, TPS rings, NF NXS 5.5-22x50 NP R2, shooting 208 A-MAXs with 93.3 gr RETUMBO and lit by GM215M primer,chrony'd at 3220fps, if you want to see the shot here it is on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnX8vBBJ-Oo

It's cool how when you watch a video of someone shooting, a lot of times you can see the bullet flying down range in a arc. Nice shooting and nice video - other than some questionable music.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's cool how when you watch a video of someone shooting, a lot of times you can see the bullet flying down range in a arc. Nice shooting and nice video - other than some questionable music. </div></div>
Yeah i didn't pick the music, my buddy who made the video did,

Makes me want to order a reamer and barrel blank....

Wonderful shot by the way....

Re: 208 A-MAX 300ultra test, new video,

What was your speed? I just paid for 200 for my 300 rum. Have you used different powders I have not had good luck with retumbo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was your speed? I just paid for 200 for my 300 rum. Have you used different powders I have not had good luck with retumbo? </div></div>
speed was 3220fps chrony'd about ten minutes before that shot, ive used RL25 and RETUMBO, so far RETUMBO as showed the best groups and speed, the camera man was also shooting a 300RUM with 200 accubonds and 91.5 RL25 and his chrony'd at 3175,

How long is your barrel? That retumbo just seams to be dirty I like the speed that it puts out just have not hade good results. I have R-22 and R-25 did you try step loading with the reloader powders? PS. that video was bad ass I’m going to try the five gallon containers I don’t think the water guy is going to like me much after that thou .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long is your barrel? That retumbo just seams to be dirty I like the speed that it puts out just have not hade good results. I have R-22 and R-25 did you try step loading with the reloader powders? PS. that video was bad ass I’m going to try the five gallon containers I don’t think the water guy is going to like me much after that thou . </div></div>

30 inch barrel, the camera guy is the culligan man, no joke, he brought the jugs..

I have a 28" on mine do you think the speeds will be close? I’m telling my culligan man. He is in so mush trouble lol.

Sorry for you spelling! I was looking over my bake for the boss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 28" on mine do you think the speeds will be close? I’m telling my culligan man. He is in so mush trouble lol. </div></div>

i would imagine so, maybe 20fps slower, ive heard it's about 10fps per inch.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the bad ass video keep them coming.